looks like the storm2 will be my first and last blackberry.....hello droid!!!

New BlackBerry Software Not Friendly With Older Touchscreens - Digits - WSJ

August 4, 2010, 9:58 AM ET
    New BlackBerry Software Not Friendly With Older Touchscreens

By Jennifer Valentino-DeVries
    BlackBerry introduced a new operating system Tuesday that is designed to work better with touchscreens, which are increasingly popular on smartphones.

Research In Motion But in the list of older phones compatible with this touchscreen-friendly system, two devices are conspicuously absent: BlackBerry�s own older touchscreen phones.

BlackBerry�s newest phone, the Torch, has a touchscreen and will come with the BlackBerry 6 operating system. The Torch, which also made its debut Tuesday, combines a the screen with a slide-out keyboard to entice BlackBerry�s traditional business user.

But the latest operating system is leaving the older touchscreens � the Storm and Storm 2 � behind, despite the fact that the Storm 2 came out only late last year. BlackBerry acknowledged that the new system does not work on the Storm phones.

BlackBerry users have been clamoring for an update to the old operating system, which lagged behind the iPhone and Android platforms in features. In particular, it offered users far fewer apps. The new platform also makes improvements in the way BlackBerry users can tap into social networks like Facebook and media from iTunes and Windows Media Player.

Storm owners might be out of luck � but the devices weren�t a big hit, anyway. The Storm, which came out in 2008, faced complaints of glitches, and by the time the Storm 2 came out, it was considered behind the times.

BlackBerry maker Research In Motion did not comment on why the operating system might not be compatible with the phones. But the Electronista blog speculates that the Storm�s use of a �click-down� screen, intended to make typing on the screen feel more like typing on a keyboard, could be a problem.

Phones that will be able to run the new software include the Bold 9700, the Bold 9650 and the Pearl 3G, BlackBerry says. The company did not specify when the operating system would be available for these phones, except to say that it would be �in the months ahead.�
    08-05-10 07:57 AM
    I'd say F RIM but I'm done being mad and just waiting for my Dx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 08:11 AM
    I second that, but as I said in other posts, I'm strongly considered the new Torch. Dx doesn't do it for me and I don't want the flavor of the month.
    08-05-10 08:16 AM
    Why get the DX now out of frustration if your Storm 2 works? Wait until the holidays and see what LTE phones are offered. It's only a few months away.
    08-05-10 08:31 AM
    Why get the DX now out of frustration if your Storm 2 works? Wait until the holidays and see what LTE phones are offered. It's only a few months away.
    Because unfortunately I am a very impatient person.......
    But yes I thought of that

08-05-10 08:44 AM
    It would be nice if the S2 could support OS 6, but that was never promised when I bought the phone, so I can deal with it. Based on what I use my device for (primarily email communication for work and personal), BlackBerry truly does offer the best product available...but I'd be very interested in the new browser if it is everything claimed to be.

I am eager to see what BlackBerry's offerings (if any) on Verizon will be once the LTE network goes live, and at that time I'll either upgrade to a newer BlackBerry (first choice), move on to an Android device (second choice). It will need to be a full-screen touch device like the Storm as I have zero interest in a physical keyboard/smaller screen model. I don't need to be "blown away" with crazy features or apps -- I just need a reliable device that handles my email needs flawlessly and can provide a decent web experience.

We all knew the S1 wouldn't get OS 6, so no surprise there. A lot of people like to bash RIM for "not keeping up" with the current competition, and I don't necessarily agree with that, as they still offer the best overall email experience around, which is the platform they built themselves on. I do feel however that they really neglect the scalability of their devices during development, as demonstrated by the fact that even the S2, which was released less that a year ago, won't have enough system memory to support this newest OS version. The first Storm was plagued with memory issues from the start, as most users quickly realized that 128MB simply wasn't enough to run the OS and all of the apps they wanted. No one can see the future, but one constant remains: As OS functionality increases, so does the amount of RAM needed to run it ... so why not make sure that the device can support MORE than enough for not only the current platform, but at least the next generation as well. Hopefully RIM has learned this lesson AT THE VERY LEAST.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 08-05-10 at 09:18 AM.
    08-05-10 09:08 AM
    Just look at the apps world. A little weird when u can select without pressing but simply touch.

08-05-10 11:24 AM
    I still believe that s2 will get some kind of update. Maybee not full OS6 but at least some touchscreen friendly updates. BB os is a powerfull os but it is easy to get the impression that the current versions are built mainly for keyboard devices.

I am missing better ways to manage mail without having to click menu button and select a submenu before I can change what I could do with a press of a button on my Bold.

BB are still unbeatable when on a BES and touch devices are the future so hopefully S4 next year will bring what we all crave.

08-05-10 11:48 AM
    Just look at the apps world. A little weird when u can select without pressing but simply touch.

Yes, "featured items" in App World. And features of at least one theme (Adorno's Black and Orange Light) work with touches rather than the SurePress click.
    08-05-10 12:15 PM

I am missing better ways to manage mail without having to click menu button and select a submenu before I can change what I could do with a press of a button on my Bold.
    I assume you're refering to keyboard shortcuts? That is one drawback to not having a full-time physical keyboard available, but you can still use them on the Storm, you just have to pull up the virtual keyboard first. I set my keyboard to one of the convenience keys, so I can pull it up fast and easily.
    08-05-10 12:24 PM
    looks like the storm2 will be my first and last blackberry.....hello droid!!!

+1

got to wait till feb next year. Wonder what droid will be out.
    08-05-10 12:29 PM
    My company has always used BES and Blackberry's for email and paging purposes. Nothing else even allowed on the network. They've begun testing iPhone and Droids because of the expense of supporting a BES configuration, and because a lot of the big shots now want iPhone and Droids. They are determining encryption options, password requirements, email availability. Those are the most pressing for business needs, although pricing will enter the picture as well. All the other stuff is just cool. RIM may not lose everyone, but 15000 managers will soon have
    other options for devices and carriers.
    08-05-10 12:36 PM
    I'm not refusing what that article said, but it was one of the poorest written articles (spelling/grammar/content) that I've read in a long time. It certainly detracts from her credibility as an intelligent reporter.

08-05-10 01:36 PM
    Our feelings will be heard in RIM's pocketbook. If the Storm wasn't all that popular, then that is RIM's fault for not producing a competitve device and then not following through to make sure they fully supported it to make it a successful device. This is really more the reason that I would leave my BB. RIM's short-sightedness is really starting to show especially with the release of the Torch 9800 which doesn't even have hardware to match or rival its competitors. RIM still may have some pluses, but not enough to attract and keep the average consumer. I seriously see this as the beginning of a downward spiral.
    08-05-10 02:12 PM
    did anyone mentioned corporate use?

9800 will NEVER be a corporate phone. Storm too.... drop and you crack the screen... expect my helpdesk dept to make countless replacement or repair?

Being a decision maker, I would like to have savvy phone, something that is the "latest in thing" BUT unfortunately, if I am to supply hundreds and thousands of bb to my employees, I would simply choose a bold or curve. I don't care if they like it or not. They will have to take it, use it and suck it up with whatever experience they will have to get their work done since they are paid to work.
    08-05-10 03:08 PM
    My company has always used BES and Blackberry's for email and paging purposes. Nothing else even allowed on the network. They've begun testing iPhone and Droids because of the expense of supporting a BES configuration, and because a lot of the big shots now want iPhone and Droids. They are determining encryption options, password requirements, email availability. Those are the most pressing for business needs, although pricing will enter the picture as well. All the other stuff is just cool. RIM may not lose everyone, but 15000 managers will soon have
    other options for devices and carriers.
    With BESX now free, the cost of maintaining a BES network isn't that costly anymore, unless you really need the added functionality of the full BES software.
    08-05-10 03:15 PM
    did anyone mentioned corporate use?

9800 will NEVER be a corporate phone. Storm too.... drop and you crack the screen... expect my helpdesk dept to make countless replacement or repair?
    I've deployed Storm2 in my business and quite frankly, the return rate is lower then when we had Bold 9000. Not once did we have a return for a cracked screen... Usually it's the inset that cracks.
    08-05-10 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD