so i have a storm and i was just wondering on some things that the people told me where i bought the phone. They was saying not to add apps or themes from ppl esp free ones because its a way for ppl to get into your phone and look at your pics contacts etc is there any truth to this at all?!
    05-12-09 04:22 PM
    For the most part whoever told you that is full of junk.
    05-12-09 04:23 PM
    I wouldnt say that all of them are full of junk but it can happen.
    05-12-09 04:35 PM
    Scare tactic to have you purchace thier apps, which by the way, they have not added squat to the Application Center.

You can go to the Blackberry Homepage from your Browser and download Blackberrys App World to your device.

I have also purchased apps from Crackberry and App World and no one has invaded my privacy.
    05-12-09 06:14 PM
    Odds are against it

But it definitely can happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 06:18 PM
    all of the manufacturers have a confrence every year where they challenge people to hack the device. nobody has been successful so far. the only way someone can see that info is if you're on a BES, and then they'd need to be an admin. i'd say knock yourself out.
    05-12-09 06:52 PM
    I Will Say May Be ,,but For Someone To Get To Ur Bb Is Really Hard Probably. But Ya The Best Thing Is To Get App From Bb App..
    05-12-09 07:02 PM
    what raameen meant was be picky about what you put on your phone, reliable sources that you trust and have seen/read about being ran on other berries with no issues.
    05-12-09 07:05 PM
    There are apps that can download parts of your contact list, Vlingo comes to mind. They download the names only from your contact list to make ther voice recognition faster. They also disclose this in their service agreement.

Bottom line, read the user agreement, ask around here if you have any doubts.

all of the manufacturers have a confrence every year where they challenge people to hack the device. nobody has been successful so far. the only way someone can see that info is if you're on a BES, and then they'd need to be an admin. i'd say knock yourself out.
    While I totally agree with what your statement, hacking the device and an app allowing clandestine access are quite different. I've seen apps a few years back (for Palm OS) that are designed to do just that. I think there might be one or two apps somewhere in some dark places that can accomplish this on a BB.

If I had to do it, the app would buffer the needed info into a hidden area of the device memory, disguise it as a memory leak. Then look for an awaiting Wi-Fi connection and stream the info to a nearby device, bluetooth is a more complicated option. Of course the user would only notice some lagging performance. Then the app would delete itself and force a random reboot, blowing out all logs. Now of course this would not be for data mining but for surveillance and/or industrial espionage.

Wait, my Storm has exhibited all of the aforementioned symptoms, I might have a problem.
    Last edited by crisd; 05-12-09 at 07:40 PM.
    05-12-09 07:35 PM
    There are apps that can download parts of your contact list, Vlingo comes to mind. They download the names only from your contact list to make ther voice recognition faster. They also disclose this in their service agreement.

Bottom line, read the user agreement, ask around here if you have any doubts.

While I totally agree with what your statement, hacking the device and an app allowing clandestine access are quite different. I've seen apps a few years back (for Palm OS) that are designed to do just that. I think there might be one or two apps somewhere in some dark places that can accomplish this on a BB.

If I had to do it, the app would buffer the needed info into a hidden area of the device memory, disguise it as a memory leak. Then look for an awaiting Wi-Fi connection and stream the info to a nearby device, bluetooth is a more complicated option. Of course the user would only notice some lagging performance. Then the app would delete itself and force a random reboot, blowing out all logs. Now of course this would not be for data mining but for surveillance and/or industrial espionage.

Wait, my Storm has exhibited all of the aforementioned symptoms, I might have a problem.

i stand corrected!!!
    05-12-09 07:41 PM

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing till I got down to your post!!!
    05-12-09 08:17 PM
    thanks for all your advice its my first bb so i wasnt to sure what all could happen with them!
    05-13-09 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD