How about we compose a description for original applications we'll like to see developed to the storm. Like me, I bet there's some programmers that want to dive into developing something useful on 4.7.

I'll start:

It would be cool to have something like a terminal program that would provide textual access to the BB's OS and access to remote systems. Since I don't care much for windoze, I would focus on terminal access to UNIX based systems. Since there's no SSH for BBs, we'll have to handle connection encryption on our own. I would want to run certain commands from my BB to cause events on my servers. For example, "apachectl restart" or something. Also if I could browze my BBs files (while being away from a computer) that would be really nice.

Also, it would be cool to have a text editor for BB. Many times I get perl, matlab, or C files sent to me and it would be awesome if I could open them and modify them as needed. I know this would probably too much buy syntax highlighting would be tha bomb really.

And to fit with all that a minimal subversion or CVS client would be an order.
    01-16-09 08:03 PM
    It's kinda hard to have a functioning terminal in an OS that has no terminal access. BB OS is just a big Java VM with some special RIM sauce thrown in, and it adheres to CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 standards, so there's really not a whole lot of access for things like system calls from a 3rd party app.

I guess the text editor could be done though.
    01-16-09 08:29 PM
    It's kinda hard to have a functioning terminal in an OS that has no terminal access. BB OS is just a big Java VM with some special RIM sauce thrown in, and it adheres to CLDC 1.1 and MIDP 2.0 standards, so there's really not a whole lot of access for things like system calls from a 3rd party app.

I guess the text editor could be done though.
    You're right. Though a small scripting lang could be developed to allowed to make a very small amount of low-level MIDP calls. I bet we could get the basic filesystem navigation/management to work (move, open, view properties).

Looking at the API suggests that at the very least, one could have a terminal that is able to remotely connect to some thing. All we would have to do is include setup a TCP connection (encrypted of course) and have a server listening to the commands and running them accordingly (sending back textual output).

The text editor would have to be seriously robust in terms of the type of input it accepts. It shouldn't slow down any power users that much and should integrate with the BBs auto text feature. But Also, it should be only used for small modifications maybe... Probably noone should use it for writing an entire application.
    01-16-09 09:44 PM
    Well, like I said above, there's restrictions on the api.

According to RIM's BB Dev Guide, no VM program can do a Runtime.exec() and call an arbitrary process. This is just not allowed to be executed and will throw an exception.

So yah, I believe its not possible.
    01-16-09 09:58 PM
    I dreamed about it in another thread, but what I'd really like to see is an app like iContact for Winmo. It's a knock off of the iPhone contacts but with a few extras thrown in. I used it the most of any other program in Winmo and the darn thing was free.

If someone makes it for the Storm, I'm buying it. It would solve one of the issues I have with the Storm, no fun and quick way to access your contacts.
    01-16-09 10:23 PM
    I dreamed about it in another thread, but what I'd really like to see is an app like iContact for Winmo. It's a knock off of the iPhone contacts but with a few extras thrown in. I used it the most of any other program in Winmo and the darn thing was free.

If someone makes it for the Storm, I'm buying it. It would solve one of the issues I have with the Storm, no fun and quick way to access your contacts.
    Yeah. I had iContact with my Samsung i760. So I know exactly what you mean. However, I don't know of any way to define the default Contacts application for Blackberry. I know with Winmo there's always the registry. The would be nice to have something like that where all the entry points to the contacts apps could be accounted for. Or any other app for that matter.
    01-19-09 01:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD