Hey i a newbie and am still trying to get my feet wet in the world of Blackberries and was wondering if anyone has watched netflix using the instant play feature they offer on their storm cuz i am huge fan of that feature. Or if you know of any apps that will work so that i can watch movies or shows on my storm i already paying for netflix so i don't want to pay for any other services. I have also tried the netlix app that is out it only lets you add movies you want sent to you unless im doing something wrong. Please help me out.
    03-01-09 06:40 PM
    sorry but you cant watch netflix movies on your storm...however there are various sites (legal/illegal) that allow you to download videos/songs etc. from them. off the top of my head: Myxer - Download Ringtones and More
    lots of ringtones, music vids
    03-01-09 06:44 PM
    OK that sucks then why would verizon say that you can stream videos is that like youtube? Does netflix not stream videos? Just trying to understand dont laugh at me too much. lol
    03-01-09 07:38 PM
    OK that sucks then why would verizon say that you can stream videos is that like youtube? Does netflix not stream videos? Just trying to understand dont laugh at me too much. lol
    In this case it is not a question of Verizon or BB. Netflix requires a player or plugin to work correctly which mobile phones do not support. This is the reason that other players such as Samsung and LG Bluray players and TIVO machines need to be "released" or upgraded to watch netflix )can't integrate with any old machine like PS3). If you take into the account the bandwidth contraints, I do not think you will ever see streaming full length movies on phones.

However, you can download movies to your SD card to watch on the Storm when on the go.
    03-01-09 07:44 PM
    That'd be awesome. I watch on my 360 but it'd be cool to be able to do that.
    03-01-09 08:08 PM
    Forget the fact that the hardware and software isn't even there, Verizon's 3G network isn't even fast enough to stream a Netflix movie properly.

Now if the Storm had wifi...

Or maybe Netflix can develop a Storm app that would somehow let you cache those movies to a memory card for viewing later (wired--usb), similar to the caching of radio stations by the Slacker radio app?
    03-01-09 11:03 PM
    Netflix uses Silverlight, not gonna happen.
    03-01-09 11:13 PM
    Bummer is there anything similar to netflix out there
    03-01-09 11:29 PM
    lol sorry, i had a xv6900 and used a program called skyfire. it was a browser that emulated actual pc browser so i can actually browse as if i was on my pc... in which all the sites that required a pda to have a updated flash, i didn't need this i could just stream movies over the phone... so don't fret there soon will be a way to do this with future pdas cause there is and will be a huge huge market for this.
    03-02-09 01:08 AM
    Forget the fact that the hardware and software isn't even there, Verizon's 3G network isn't even fast enough to stream a Netflix movie properly.

Or maybe Netflix can develop a Storm app that would somehow let you cache those movies to a memory card for viewing later (wired--usb), similar to the caching of radio stations by the Slacker radio app?

Not true. If you use Slingbox - you can stream live TV just fine. It requires the right player software to optimize and buffer for the speed. remember, the quality does not have to be great as the screen is so small. I have streamed for 3 hours (OSU-Michigan game) on Verizon's network.

But, they will need an application as you state in order to get it done. That is where I do not think it will happen as they do not want to eat up their bandwidth (streaming non Verizon published content is against your TOS now).
    03-02-09 09:59 AM
    In this case it is not a question of Verizon or BB. Netflix requires a player or plugin to work correctly which mobile phones do not support. This is the reason that other players such as Samsung and LG Bluray players and TIVO machines need to be "released" or upgraded to watch netflix )can't integrate with any old machine like PS3). If you take into the account the bandwidth contraints, I do not think you will ever see streaming full length movies on phones.

However, you can download movies to your SD card to watch on the Storm when on the go.
    That was a very poor example. As the XBOX 360 was upgraded (software) to permit viewing of the netflix instant movies on your TV.

So I see no reason why netflix could not release an app to let you do so. However I don't see them putting the resources into such an app.
    Last edited by Ravr; 03-02-09 at 10:42 AM.
    03-02-09 10:40 AM
    That was a very poor example. As the XBOX 360 was upgraded (software) to permit viewing of the netflix instant movies on your TV.

So I see no reason why netflix could not release an app to let you do so. However I don't see them putting the resources into such an app.

How is that a poor example? The point is that it requires progammatic interaction to access the netflix movies. You can't just do it from a built in browser on non PCs like the PS3 - it would need an upgrade like the Xbox or Tivo.

Could they release an ap - sure but it is not up to Verizon as the OP opined . . it would be netflix or netflix in partnership with BB or Verizon. I don't see Verizon signing up for something so data intensive officially.
    03-02-09 01:23 PM

you're completely wrong. slingbox works perfectly fine on the storm via 3g, so does youtube. both are streaming video content. so yeah, the hardware and software are there...
    03-02-09 02:23 PM
    sounds like verizon needs to suck it up and put out something cool that would be sweet if the storm could do that then it could be considered an iphone killer
    03-02-09 04:26 PM
    speaking of Netflix, a Netflix Launcher app would be great.
    03-02-09 06:48 PM
    sounds like verizon needs to suck it up and put out something cool that would be sweet if the storm could do that then it could be considered an iphone killer
    What are you talking about? Verizon has NO obligation to provide anything outside of the phone with a working OS.

Go cry to the Netflix people if you want it to work on the Storm.

The phone could be an IPhone killer if it worked properly, it doesn't need some stupid Netflix capability.
    03-02-09 06:53 PM
    What are you talking about? Verizon has NO obligation to provide anything outside of the phone with a working OS.

Go cry to the Netflix people if you want it to work on the Storm.

The phone could be an IPhone killer if it worked properly, it doesn't need some stupid Netflix capability.
    Sorry i guess i hit a nerve i was just saying that they should enable the os to do something like that. i am new and still learning the ropes but it seems that there aren't that many apps out there for the storm it will be sweet to see what the new app center has. Sorry if it made you mad it seems you like Verizon, i don't like them but have no choice but to use them because my entire family has Verizon so there it is.
    Last edited by regnif19; 03-02-09 at 08:28 PM. Reason: i am terrible with grammer
    03-02-09 08:24 PM
    h**p://lab.pyxismobile.com/2008/10/smartflicks-net. html ... replace ** with tt ..u can basically be on the netflix web site using that prog, but no streaming videos, but u can add movied to ur netflix request list and reviews and such
    03-02-09 09:32 PM
    Slingplayer mobile isn't even technically supported by the Storm, but I'll give you that.

YouTube mobile is complete and utter garbage, as well as that YouTube app for the Storm. That apps works on plenty of other devices, and I'm not even sure it's Storm optimized besides the touch screen controls.

We need to push for the iTV app that's on the iPhone for the Storm. They've just added the ability to stream CBS and Showtime shows.
    03-02-09 09:48 PM
    I have mobitv app what would it be considered steaming or non streaming I'm on 8130
    03-12-09 01:24 AM
    I recently installed the 'In2Flick' app. You may want to take a look at that.

I like it a lot better than Movela. Movie previews, movie ratings, etc.. and some very cool features.
    02-26-10 05:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD