First off, Neoreader does not work with the Storm. You can install the Curve or Pearl version but even in compatibility mode, it does not work.

Neoreader [free application] allows you to use your phones camera to scan barcodes on items and get information. Unlike BeeTagg, which is another free barcode scanning software that does work on the storm; Neoreader works with all barcodes, including the regular UPC codes we see on everything. BeeTagg only works with the 3d barcodes which are not found anywhere in North America.

I have contacted Neoreader tech support ant they told me they were working on a BB Bold release and then would move on to the storm. The said however that they did not think the blackberry storm's camera was good enough to take clear photos of a UPC bar code. I replied with an email and a photo of a barcode politely telling them they were wrong about the storms camera.

To further prove them wrong I am posting here asking anyone who has a free second to take a photo of a UPC code and post it in this thread.

You can easily & quickly host a photo at ImageShack« - Image Hosting w/o having to make an account or provide any information.

Why a bar code scanner on your phone? Well one thought is that it would be cool to scan some can goods sitting in the pantry to see the date of manufacture. I am sure there is a bunch of other uses too.

Anyway, Thanks for the help. If there are enough posts I plan on sending them a link to this thread so that they can start taking the storm seriously. It’s also a great test to show the storms camera ability, including great close up photos.

Note: The below photo taken with my storm is unedited and has only been cropped to remove everything but the UPC code.

02-03-09 08:04 AM
    The said however that they did not think the blackberry storm's camera was good enough to take clear photos of a UPC bar code.
    They actually told you this? That's crazy.
    02-03-09 08:15 AM
    And to think Verizon will only charge $5 a month for this...

LOL
    02-03-09 08:17 AM
    And to think Verizon will only charge $5 a month for this...
    Haha. That's priceless. But don't forget it would probably be 4.99 so they could advertise it for under $5.
    02-03-09 08:19 AM
    Pongr.com also works (email them the pic.)

ping@pongr.com or send a text to SHOPP (74677)

They have an app but it is not 100% storm functional, atm.
    02-03-09 08:27 AM
    Haha. That's priceless. But don't forget it would probably be 4.99 so they could advertise it for under $5.

Too Funny. : )

No, its not a verizon thing, lol. The company that makes it says its freeware. Not an essential app but would be fun to play around with.
    02-03-09 11:17 AM
    Haha, a 3.2 megapixel camera is not good enough? I know the iphone has an app that does the same thing. I think it only has a 2.6 or a 2.8 megapixel camera.

To boot I have taken some very clean photos with the camera on my storm. Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up your you know what...
    02-03-09 01:25 PM
    Haha, a 3.2 megapixel camera is not good enough? I know the iphone has an app that does the same thing. I think it only has a 2.6 or a 2.8 megapixel camera.

To boot I have taken some very clean photos with the camera on my storm. Sounds like someone is blowing smoke up your you know what...
    dont forget... with auto-focus
    02-03-09 01:36 PM
    NeoReader released the app for the Storm. I've downloaded it, but receive a message saying "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again." Well...I don't have any other applications open. I've started the camera then re-opened NeoReader. I've even deleted and re-installed it, but I keep getting the same message. Any advice?
    12-07-09 12:13 PM
    NeoReader released the app for the Storm. I've downloaded it, but receive a message saying "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again." Well...I don't have any other applications open. I've started the camera then re-opened NeoReader. I've even deleted and re-installed it, but I keep getting the same message. Any advice?
    It's a known S1 camera problem, nothing to do with neoreader. If you search 'storm camera problem' , there are some fix for it, but when none of them work your camera is adios
    12-08-09 12:48 AM
    Wow I love the storm camera. I love taking closeups because the auto focus is amazing.

I call bs unless they had auto focus off

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 12:51 AM

Why a bar code scanner on your phone? Well one thought is that it would be cool to scan some can goods sitting in the pantry to see the date of manufacture. I am sure there is a bunch of other uses too.
    The barcodes you find on food in your pantry do not hold the date of manufacture unless you were to print your own barcode label and stick it on there. But if you were going to go through the trouble of printing the label, you might as well print it in english.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 11:20 AM
    Just scanned the above barcode with edocrab and its a Logitech optical mouse... just messing around...
    12-08-09 11:39 AM
    Just scanned the above barcode with edocrab and its a Logitech optical mouse... just messing around...
    Have you tried the latest beta(1.1.0.0)? I can't get it to work though the one on appworld works fine.
    12-08-09 03:00 PM
    not made for the tour
    12-08-09 04:39 PM
    If the Storm's camera is good enough to scan BBM barcodes off the Pearl's tiny screen, I think it's sufficient to scan a barcode from any product.

Perhaps you can just refer them to edocrab, who obviously DO think the camera is good enough.
    12-08-09 05:26 PM
    I got an email from the developer of neo reader. It currently doesnt work in 5.0 but they are working on getting that fixed.
    12-09-09 04:18 PM
    Edocrab bar code scanner works just fine on my Storm, and its free too.
    12-10-09 09:31 AM
    Edocrab bar code scanner works just fine on my Storm, and its free too.
    Nice one.....
    12-13-09 01:21 PM
    It's a known S1 camera problem, nothing to do with neoreader. If you search 'storm camera problem' , there are some fix for it, but when none of them work your camera is adios
    Fast-forward 8 months - the S2 gives me the same error: "close other application browser to use neoreader".

bert
    07-23-10 07:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD