IDK, are there any capacitive touch screen handheld devices that can be calibrated? My old Palm OS based handhelds had to be calibrated, but they were all resistive touch screens. Because capacitive touch screens use a grid type electrode layout to detect touch location, I wonder if they even need to be calibrated in the first place?

You can't calibrate an iPhone screen, can you (also a capacitive screen). What about other capacitive screens?

-SR-
    12-09-08 12:41 PM
    IDK, are there any capacitive touch screen handheld devices that can be calibrated? My old Palm OS based handhelds had to be calibrated, but they were all resistive touch screens. Because capacitive touch screens use a grid type electrode layout to detect touch location, I wonder if they even need to be calibrated in the first place?

You can't calibrate an iPhone screen, can you (also a capacitive screen). What about other capacitive screens?

-SR-
    It depends on distance. The calibration utility for capacitive touch is really only to compensate for the users line of sight. I just finished a product that uses a capacitive touch screen that sits 3in from the lcd screen. In that case we had to make a calibration program for it. If you can set the touchscreen very close to the lcd I have never added a calibration for resistive, capacitive or acoustic.

@murky024 -> I may have missunderstood you. Are you talking about the crappy pointer in the BB browser? or just the screen in general?
    12-09-08 12:52 PM
    I agree with the need for calibration... then again, I know the first couple of days with the Storm I was having issues selecting items... Its almost as if the Storm learned my touch like it learns your lingo... Sounds silly I know, but the only time I miss now is when I go to send a message and it selects save as draft...
    12-09-08 12:57 PM
    ANY machine can be calibrated. And any serious piece of machinery (be it electronic or mechanical) allows for it to be calibrated through some sort of interface.

The fact of the matter is, due to everyone's hands and fingers being unique the option to calibrate the screen for a particular individuals hands is crucial to it's core function.

Making statements such as "it works fine for me" and "you should learn how to use the touch screen" is as preposterous as someone saying that a "once size fits all" approach works for automobiles.

Tell me, are any of you who are perfectly fine with your touch screen also driving your cars with the seats, mirrors and steering wheel exactly as they came from the factory? Surely the exact position, angle, height and rigidity should be adequate for everyone. . .

AF
    12-09-08 12:58 PM
    either get a stylus or something that can point point smaller areas, but i agree how are you going calibrate it when its not a traditional touchscreen.
    12-09-08 01:06 PM
    I want the dial pad calibrated bec often times when I hit the number 1 it clicks 3. But tht is only with my left hand but no problem what so ever with right too bad I can't call as quickly bec I gotta hold the phone with hands when I need to call lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 01:07 PM

@murky024 -> I may have missunderstood you. Are you talking about the crappy pointer in the BB browser? or just the screen in general?
    I was talking about the screen in general but you bring up a good point with the pointer being a problem as it is and it would be nice to add options to that too!
    12-09-08 01:13 PM
    (I didnt not read entire thread) the reason for needing to calibrate other types of touch screen (resistive) is there is a thin membrane (extra layer) that hovers about the display screen and because some people hold and view their device differently (right/left eye dominate) adjustments will need to be done.

with capacitive it uses the electricity from your fingers. there is a electrical grid that sits (no need to hover above) just above the screen to sense where you touch.
    12-09-08 01:39 PM
    While the calibration is very close and doesn't float, it also is not perfect. I find almost everything on my Storm is about 2 pixels lower than what I am touching. Even if I very carefully touch it with just the tinyiest tip of my finger, I always have to make sure I touch just slight above what I want less I risk hitting the area below it. For big buttons and blown up web pages that isn't a problem, but for coping/pasting text or hitting tiny links, it gets me often.
    02-20-09 01:38 AM
    I wish to add to all of this -- neither negatively or positively.

I feel strongly that RIM should have somewhere in the phone a place where you can set the pressure of the click screen (from light to heavy depending on personal preference). I find that I have to click hard to get a response.

Also, I wish that scrolling were faster than it is. Which way should I set the scrolling to fly up and down the screen? I want to move!!
    08-11-09 09:59 PM
    the BB browser on the storm also has a mouse mode for it, where the curser shows up in front of your finger so you can see the small links you are clicking on.
    08-11-09 10:11 PM
    A calibration menu might be a good idea, but in my opinion, once you get used to the click-screen there really is no reason for it.

-TORM

P.S. I have fat thumbs and I've pretty much got it down pat.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 01:09 AM
    Last edited by leillox88; 03-02-12 at 11:39 AM.
    05-08-10 11:58 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD