This may be in the current OS but I can't find it. Every touch screen I have worked with has the feature where you calibrate the points on the screen so you can set the feature to work as you touch items.

RIM, if you are reading this, please add this!
    12-09-08 11:09 AM
    Why?

The Storms ClickScreen Worked Perfectly Well out of the Box.

When you say "all other touchscreen phones I've used..."

Does that mean "Low Gen" Touchscreens Like the Voyager? The Glyde?

Those are hardly Touchscreen Phones in my book, and you can't compare those Touchscreen Phones to the Likes of the Storm, or the iPhone.

OH- And BTW- The iPhone doesn't need to be calibrated.

Just What Kind of Issues are you having that would be "fixed" by calibrating it?
    12-09-08 11:36 AM
    People would be bricking their phone after a miss-calibration of the screen and not having a way to get it back without a reload of the OS. I can see on a PC where you have the possibility of multiple screen resolutions but on the Storm its not going to change.
    12-09-08 11:53 AM
    Why?

Those are hardly Touchscreen Phones in my book, and you can't compare those Touchscreen Phones to the Likes of the Storm, or the iPhone.

Just What Kind of Issues are you having that would be "fixed" by calibrating it?
    Each touch screen I have used with the Storm has had a selection point that was different. With a calibration tool we could effectively set that selection point how we as individuals click. By all other touch screens I mean monitors and other devices I have worked with in the past. This is my first touch screen phone.
    12-09-08 11:54 AM
    Go to the internet on your BB and try to click on a link among other links without blowing up the screen x4. Some have fatter fingers.
    Bump for calibrate.
    12-09-08 11:57 AM
    Why?

I have to agree, I have not had any issues with the placement of my selection. Perhaps you are rolling your finger when selecting something or you are trying to click something at an odd angle.
    12-09-08 11:57 AM
    Or try to point to an intersection on GMaps
    12-09-08 11:58 AM
    I just don't think it would be that effective on a "CLICKscreen"...

Maybe a "TOUCHscreen" But Not a "CLICKscreen"...
    12-09-08 11:59 AM
    I just don't think it would be that effective on a "CLICKscreen"...

Maybe a "TOUCHscreen" But Not a "CLICKscreen"...

I have to disagree. The selection for the click is first given from the touch. When I use the browser I select links that are sometimes smaller than my pointer finger or thumb and so have a calibration would allow me to set it to the top of my touch...
    12-09-08 12:01 PM
    this would have been a good idea.
    12-09-08 12:03 PM
    I have to disagree. The selection for the click is first given from the touch. When I use the browser I select links that are sometimes smaller than my pointer finger or thumb and so have a calibration would allow me to set it to the top of my touch...
    No.

You touch and highlight.

If what You want is highlighted, then you press down and click.

If what you want isn't highlighted, find a way to highlight it.

Move down a little, move up a little, move to the left a little, move to the right a little.

It will not auto select through touch, you need to click.

This is key.

On Touchscreen phones, you aren't given the option to click.

On Touchscreen phones, you are subject to the whims of your screen.

Calibration is important.

But with the added click- calibration is relatively redundant.
    12-09-08 12:07 PM
    No.

You touch and highlight.

If what You want is highlighted, then you press down and click.

If what you want isn't highlighted, find a way to highlight it.

Move down a little, move up a little, move to the left a little, move to the right a little.

It will not auto select through touch, you need to click.

This is key.

On touchscreen phones, you aren't given the option to click.

On Touchscreen phones, you are subject to the whims of your screen.

Calibration is important.

But with the added click- calibration is relatively redundant.
    Please read my entire post. I cannot always see the highlight as my thumb or finger can sometimes cover what I want to click. Adding this feature would allow me and I am sure many others to work this phone more to how we want the touch/click screen to work...
    12-09-08 12:11 PM
    It would cost money to get a "tool" that would work right. Using your fingers would just **** things up. I used a pen setting up my dare, but the dare uses a different screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 12:11 PM
    Please read my entire post. I cannot always see the highlight as my thumb or finger can sometimes cover what I want to click. Adding this feature would allow me and I am sure many others to work this phone more to how we want the touch/click screen to work...
    Well then-

Regardless, If you can't see what you want to click, your clicking/highlighting blindly.

No Calibration in the world can help you- if you have no clue what your clicking.

Doesn't sound like a Phone Problem.

It sounds like your using a phone to small for your fingers.

And no, I'm not being nasty!

Maybe your misinterpreting my responses as being snippy!

I'm not being snippy!

12-09-08 12:14 PM
    It would cost money to get a "tool" that would work right. Using your fingers would just **** things up. I used a pen setting up my dare, but the dare uses a different screen.

It shouldn't cost us money... That is nature of the beast when you are working with touch screens of any type. Everyone views their screen from a different angle and also uses different fingers to work the phone. Everyone (minus a few nay-sayers) could benefit from being able to have their touch and click preferences saved into the OS.

I also would enjoy being able to disable the click. I am quicker than that stupid click is, I could work this phone much quicker if I could disable click in while in composing a message, email, or anything like that.
    12-09-08 12:17 PM
    Well then-

Regardless, If you can't see what you want to click, your clicking/highlighting blindly.

No Calibration in the world can help you- if you have no clue what your clicking.

No problem, I don't take it as snippy, just fast with the read/reply buttons

My point is that it would help as it would allow me to set my highlight and click to respond to the top of my finger, not the middle, bottom, or wherever it is.
    12-09-08 12:19 PM

I also would enjoy being able to disable the click. I am quicker than that stupid click is, I could work this phone much quicker if I could disable click in while in composing a message, email, or anything like that.
    I can agree that the click is one of the most burdensome features of the phone.

It seems that the CLICK seriously handicapps the phone user.

It adds a cap in speed.
    12-09-08 12:20 PM
    Go to the internet on your BB and try to click on a link among other links without blowing up the screen x4. Some have fatter fingers.
    Bump for calibrate.
    Calibrating on touch screens has not solved the fatter finger problem, from my experience; if anything, it makes it worse - you don't know what part of your finger the screen is using to make its calibration, and as a result all subsequent touches are a complete crapshoot as to whether the screen is detecting the same portion of the finger that it used previously.
    12-09-08 12:22 PM
    After a couple days of use I learned where the screen would click when I pushed it. Calibration isn't really needed. I don't think it would perform miracles like some think it will. If you can't learn where it's going to click now you wont after a calibration.
    12-09-08 12:22 PM
    The answer is simple. More options is better. I don't think I need a calibration tool but I'm not opposed to it

12-09-08 12:27 PM
    The answer is simple. More options is better. I don't think I need a calibration tool but I'm not opposed to it

I agree... Options is what draws many people to RIM devices and now that we have this new interface RIM is going to need to give us the options we came to expect in our previous BB's on this one.
    12-09-08 12:29 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong but all the products I have designed using touch screens (hardend computers and other railroad equipment) only have a claibration option if the touchscreen is placed at a distance from the actual image. In that case the distortion / misperception caused by you touching a screen that is closer than the image requires calibration. When the touchscreen is placed with virtually no distance between it and the image I have never seen a calibration utility.

In the storms case I don't see the need for a calibration utility. I can understand the "fat finger" argument or the user preference but then you would be giving up some other clickable area. If opted to adjust the touchscreen so that you could highlight something just above you finger then you could never click on the lower most corners. There are some trade offs here
    12-09-08 12:30 PM

Off Topic: How did that word not get censored? That is crazy! Sorry, back on topic now.
    12-09-08 12:33 PM

In the storms case I don't see the need for a calibration utility. I can understand the "fat finger" argument or the user preference but then you would be giving up some other clickable area. If opted to adjust the touchscreen so that you could highlight something just above you finger then you could never click on the lower most corners. There are some trade offs here
    Not really if the software sends the pointer to the top-middle of the selected area. Maybe if they don't add a calibration tool, adding the ability to set where your selection occurs from the entire selection area. (IE top-middle, middle-middle, bottom-middle, top-right, etc...)
    12-09-08 12:36 PM
    Off Topic: How did that word not get censored? That is crazy! Sorry, back on topic now.
    Same reason ****** doesn't get censored.

We had a discussion about this in the off topic discussion thread, and words like j-e-r-k are censored!

LOL
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 12-09-08 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Oh wow they censored it!
    12-09-08 12:39 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD