I'm a proud storm user. It's my first BB and to be honest I like it.

However, even the staunchest Storm defenders on this forum can't deny this:
    The bold is about a million times faster than the storm. Isn't the CPU about the same? And I don't believe the storms ghetto UI uses requires any more graphical juice than the bold.
    What gives? And more importantly, can the storm ever be as snappy as bold?
    01-13-09 06:34 AM
    They slapped 4.6 on the Storm named it 4.7 and sent it on it's way. So to answer your question NO it will never be as fast.

The only way it will be as fast is if they build an OS from the ground up for the Storm. Which, as you know, won't happen with the current model.
    01-13-09 12:37 PM
    well thats encouraging.
    01-15-09 06:41 AM
    Rim would lose thousands of current and future RIM customers if they abandon the first gen Storm adopters. I myself have my fingers crossed.
    01-15-09 01:52 PM
    My Storm's screen flips way faster than my friend's Bold, so I don't know what you're talking about.
    01-15-09 01:56 PM

The bold is about a million times faster than the storm. Isn't the CPU about the same? And I don't believe the storms ghetto UI uses requires any more graphical juice than the bold.
    It's all about optimization. RIM is clearly working on updates and I have no doubt the speed will only continue to increase.

Will it match the Bold? Who knows? But I'm thrilled with the device as it is right now and if it gets faster, all the better.

Let's not forget the Bold went through growing pains as well. It's the price of being an early adopter of exciting, new technology.
    01-15-09 02:07 PM
    I recall reading somewhere that the Bold has a faster processor and IS faster.
    Can anyone confirm?
    01-15-09 02:41 PM
    Rim would lose thousands of current and future RIM customers if they abandon the first gen Storm adopters. I myself have my fingers crossed.
    Quite frankly, I think the smartest thing RIM could ever do (ok, maybe not ever..) would be to make a "new model" Storm and announce it.

The egg would be on Verizon's face if it didn't adopt it. It's been said over and over that RIM made it, but Verizon forced it out the door uncooked.

Be serious. RIM is in the business of making solid business phones. The DUMBEST thing a manufacturer can do is sit on its laurels, and lacking laurels, the next dumbest thing is to NOT try to improve your product when you make a mistake.

Man.. I am talking in circles, no? My point is, it wouldn't be RIM losing customers, it would be Verizon if it decided to stand behind a second rate model.. assuming that RIM could actually make the Storm as overall solid as the rest of its line.. that is.

My guess is that there will be a new model, but it will get phased in somewhat on the sly... cel phones have a 1.5 year shelf life at best (no I don't want to hear how you are happily using a 4 year old pearl or a 6 year old 7xxx) 1.5 years from now, the first generation storms will be all but disappeared and the "next gen" model will be in service and hopefully working OVERALL much better.
    01-15-09 10:46 PM
    Quite frankly, I think the smartest thing RIM could ever do (ok, maybe not ever..) would be to make a "new model" Storm and announce it.

The egg would be on Verizon's face if it didn't adopt it. It's been said over and over that RIM made it, but Verizon forced it out the door uncooked.

Be serious. RIM is in the business of making solid business phones. The DUMBEST thing a manufacturer can do is sit on its laurels, and lacking laurels, the next dumbest thing is to NOT try to improve your product when you make a mistake.

Man.. I am talking in circles, no? My point is, it wouldn't be RIM losing customers, it would be Verizon if it decided to stand behind a second rate model.. assuming that RIM could actually make the Storm as overall solid as the rest of its line.. that is.

My guess is that there will be a new model, but it will get phased in somewhat on the sly... cel phones have a 1.5 year shelf life at best (no I don't want to hear how you are happily using a 4 year old pearl or a 6 year old 7xxx) 1.5 years from now, the first generation storms will be all but disappeared and the "next gen" model will be in service and hopefully working OVERALL much better.
    Except for models such as the iPhone, where a 2 year old product is still incredibly impressive.
    01-15-09 11:38 PM

If you wanted to get technical I think I could put together a pretty good argument against that outrageous multiple you threw in there. I'm not even that staunch. In fact, I've used both devices and with the recent OS releases I would say the Storm isn't that much slower than the Bold.

Of course, with the variance in Storms that has been shown just in this forum, you may very well be correct in judging the speed of your device.

What I am getting at is one million has six zeros. Six.
    Last edited by pstanger; 01-15-09 at 11:50 PM.
    01-15-09 11:43 PM
    Lol yeah cause I hear people all the time "omg is that a 2g iphone!" you're kidding right?
    Except for models such as the iPhone, where a 2 year old product is still incredibly impressive.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 11:45 PM
    We need to start comparing the Storm to the LG Voyager. Can't really compare it to the Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 12:25 AM
    If you wanted to get technical I think I could put together a pretty good argument against that outrageous multiple you threw in there. I'm not even that staunch. In fact, I've used both devices and with the recent OS releases I would say the Storm isn't that much slower than the Bold.

Of course, with the variance in Storms that has been shown just in this forum, you may very well be correct in judging the speed of your device.

What I am getting at is one million has six zeros. Six.
    Exactly. Let's not forget the Bold had plenty of growing pains too. It's nice to see the Storm probably ahead of where the Bold was at its 1-2 month anniversary from launch date.
    01-16-09 07:09 AM
    bold has twice as much memory and a faster processor IIRC
    01-16-09 08:25 AM
    624Mhz for both, neither processor is faster
    02-19-09 02:45 PM
    The Bold definitely has more processing power
    phoneWreck � In-Depth Comparison: BlackBerry Bold vs. BlackBerry Storm

And it feels much faster, plus with wifi it feels light years faster.
    02-19-09 03:29 PM
    The Bold definitely has more processing power
    phoneWreck � In-Depth Comparison: BlackBerry Bold vs. BlackBerry Storm

And it feels much faster, plus with wifi it feels light years faster.

Dated 12/3/08

Yeah, if I compare a Storm on .65 to my Casio calculator, the calculator might win out.

02-19-09 03:34 PM

Dated 12/3/08

Yeah, if I compare a Storm on .65 to my Casio calculator, the calculator might win out.

RTFA

Has the hardware changed since 12/3/08?

02-19-09 03:41 PM
    I recall reading somewhere that the Bold has a faster processor and IS faster.
    Can anyone confirm?
    it was rumored a while back that the storm had a 528 mhz cpu and the bold had the 624mhz cpu. they both have the 624mhz though from what ive seen on spec sheets.
    02-19-09 03:49 PM
    RTFA

Has the hardware changed since 12/3/08?

If they both have the same processor and the firmware has improved, I wonder if that affects speed?

02-19-09 04:56 PM
    I have used a Storm and Bold. There no comparison. Bold is much much faster.... so much so its very noticible. For Storm user who have never used a Bold, it may be hard to imagine.
    03-15-09 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD