Hokay, so here's the deal. I have been working on a new game for the Storm for about the past week and a half. This is not only my first J2ME app, but also my first app ever... So I am really in need of some constructive criticism. Onto the game.

Name: BallZ of Furrie
    Developer: FUBAR GameZ
    Description: Guide your ball to the end of the maze, watch out, don't fall off, and the sheets of ice make things a little more difficult. The balls speed increases as you gain levels.

Where it is at this time: I have gotten the main mechanics of the game down, while in this version you do not get to see the sheets of ice that make things more difficult, they are working. I still have to figure out how to setup a timer for high scores, and how to save high scores, as well as save which level was last completed so that you don't have to start from the beginning everytime you start the game.

What I need to know: What you think of the idea and game mechanics so far? What can be improved upon?

What i am working on: High Scores, saving last level, more levels.

One big question I have is, in its current form, would you pay $1.25 for the game with 25-50 levels and high scores, and level saves implemented? The reason I ask this is not to make money, but I would like to get it signed with RIM so that I can make it so that the backlighting does not dim in the middle of the game, and other things that you have to have code signing for. As some of you know, to get keys to sign the code, it costs $100 per application. So if I sell this for $1.25 I only need to sell 100 copies to get code signing.

OTA: Link
    01-23-09 02:07 AM
    I see that you have progressed on this and paying 1.25 is a great price for a game with 25-50 levels and a high score memory!

Is the OTA link ready for an trial install?

I would buy it!
    01-23-09 02:15 AM
    The OTA link should be working, and give you a demo with two levels. Once I get it done, the demo will probably contain around 10 levels, with the full game containing close to 50 levels. Figure first 10 levels are just going to be mazes, levels 11-20 will contain ice sheets, levels 21-30 will contain ice sheets and smaller corridors, and levels 31-40 almost the whole maze will be small corridors, with levels 41-50 having something special if you can make it there.

I am glad that you think $1.25 is a good price, I'm not trying to make money on this thing, just trying to get the cash to get it signed. As I am currently on unemployment, and have a child on the way, I do not have the funds personally to pay the code signing fee.

Again, thanks for the good comments, really makes all this development time worth it..
    01-23-09 02:23 AM
    I love the game so far! I almost made it to the end of the first level after a couple of tries! Great idea and if you want to make some money just include a whole bunch of levels and charge under 5 bucks with full color and graphix. around 2.95 will make you some money and keep the buyer happy!

Since you are unemployed you should get into this full time and start designing some more games. We need more creative minds and not more rip off 10 dollar a game companies! It is never to late/early to become a entrepenor!

Again bro awsome game concept!
    01-23-09 02:32 AM
    Thanks, I hope to have the full version up and going by no later than the launch of the app store, but I am hoping to get it going in the next week or so. Depends on how long it will take me to figure out high scores, and game state saving.
    01-23-09 02:34 AM
    It is a pretty fun game -- pretty much the same as the one on the iphone.

My suggestions:

+Better visuals - I know creating games is difficult, but better visuals would be nice and would lead to more sales.

+I would like to see the accelerometer be a little more sensitive.

+I felt like the colors should be opposite--the darker color should be the hole you fall into. (also different colors altogether; it looks a little "blah" as it is.)

Good job though. Definitely let us know when you are finished with the game.
    01-23-09 02:38 AM
    I need more levels! Lol! I beat it!

It is a little sticky in places and I feel the accelerometer is very sensative on .75!

If you would like to persue this as a career you should look into some game designing classes. I am sorry that you are unemployed, but you are better working for yourself anyways! I have started my own solar/HVAC company seeing that I almost lost my job to cuts in the company! I am working nights and working for myself durring the day and I feel it will pay off soon!

If you need more tests from me feel free to PM me or post on here!
    01-23-09 02:41 AM
    Seems pretty cool. Maybe I just suck, but I think you could make the first level real easy. took me a bit to figure it out, the ball just kept hitting the wall and going back, until I made sure the phone was level.

Also, maybe give a second before the ball starts moving, give them a chance to get ready.

All in all, pretty neat little app. I think if you make it as you are planning you could def do $1.99 (make yourself a little money). I probably wouldn't do 10 levels in the demo, 5 at the most, 2-3 should be enough for them. I think if you make a long demo it might hurt your sales.

Keep up the good work!
    01-23-09 02:49 AM
    It is a pretty fun game -- pretty much the same as the one on the iphone.

My suggestions:

+Better visuals - I know creating games is difficult, but better visuals would be nice and would lead to more sales.

+I would like to see the accelerometer be a little more sensitive.

+I felt like the colors should be opposite--the darker color should be the hole you fall into. (also different colors altogether; it looks a little "blah" as it is.)

Good job though. Definitely let us know when you are finished with the game.
    Thanks for the input. As far as visuals. I suck at creating computer graphics. I have zero art skills. The accelerometer gains sensitivity as the levels progress making it a little harder to control.
    But it is a work in progress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 02:49 AM
    Thanks for the input. As far as visuals. I suck at creating computer graphics. I have zero art skills. The accelerometer gains sensitivity as the levels progress making it a little harder to control.
    But it is a work in progress.

I think even if you changed the colors up - make the walls red, green, etc. Especially if you have 50 levels. Doesn't have to be super dooper detailed, just change it up a bit.

Wow - that guy beat it. I must have no skillz. haha
    01-23-09 02:51 AM
    For the ball resetting I plan to use a notification when you hit the wall to give you some time to readjust. As soon as I figure out how to. Lol.

I will have to check into different graphics. Have to see what I can come up with. As far as the difficulty that will be changed.

01-23-09 02:58 AM
    HAHA Yea I was taking some time off from studying at work for some cert tests. I am not a big gamer, but it is very sensative so just barely tilt and the ball moves slowly!

You might be able to find some more programs on art editing for this game or just wait for responses from other gammers that play you demo.
    01-23-09 02:59 AM
    Pm me if you need help with visuals I'm in game art design major. Ill help u out if want.

01-23-09 03:17 AM
    Fun game, I would pay a few bucks for the full version. Very talented you are!

Edit: I beat level 1 but level 2 whoops my a$$!
    Last edited by jwizzle13; 01-23-09 at 03:26 AM.
    01-23-09 03:23 AM
    Pm me if you need help with visuals I'm in game art design major. Ill help u out if want.

See this is who I was explaining that would come out of this great site!
    01-23-09 03:32 AM
    It does not work in mine. The ball just goes crazy and doesnt respond to anything. Ive played with compatability options and still no look. I am running .78 on the 9500.

01-23-09 05:12 AM
    Hm. Dunno why its not wokinh on yours. Do you have accelerometer problems with other Apps. Shoupdnt have to mess with compatibility mode.

01-23-09 05:23 AM
    This game is awesome. I think if it was more visually stimlating. It looks good though and I'm sure you are still adding stuff. I wondered when a good game using the accelerometer would come out. Well done. I'll test out any game you would like me to just PM me!
    01-23-09 05:25 AM
    For the graphics, try Paint.net. Its free and very powerful. Theres plenty of tutorials in the forums to help guide you.
    01-23-09 05:54 AM
    JDE signing keys are $20 i believe. I have published applications and paid only this price. Also once you have the signing key for one app, you can publish more without purchasing additional keys.
    01-23-09 05:57 AM
    Great app. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to final release.

01-23-09 06:32 AM
    Great idea. My wife has Labyrinth on her iTouch and this is similar to that. However, I'm not sure if it's working properly on mine either, or if I just don't know how it's supposed to work, or if I just suck at it.

Is the ball supposed to jump back to the very start if it touches a wall? The balls appears to bounce back and forth repeatedly along the wall at the starting point and, holding it as level as possible, I'm finding it nearly impossible to navigate the maze. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the first level is intended to be relatively easy. In any case, great idea and I would definitely purchase a copy once it's completed.
    01-23-09 06:46 AM
    It does not work in mine. The ball just goes crazy and doesnt respond to anything. Ive played with compatability options and still no look. I am running .78 on the 9500.

You need to go into Application Permissions and and set Interactions to Allow. Mine did this because i did not set permissions when it downloaded.
    01-23-09 06:54 AM
    Sweet game btw! I can't wait to see the full version! especially one that doesn't dim while playing
    01-23-09 06:54 AM
    The only issue that I have is the screen fading to black while playing too. Awesome job especially for first app.
    01-23-09 08:00 AM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD