I need help from anyone. I just did update to .90, all went smooth up until i tried to do restore. I get a error message saying something about cant connect meanwhile all the other functions work on the desktop manager. Has anyone run into this problem and got it fixed? Let me know. Thanks
    01-21-09 10:19 PM
    Could you post some screenshots of the problem? I didn't get that problem when I was upgrading to .90. From your brief explanation, I think I got that once when installing .83 and my worst case scenario was installing .86 went fine until it loaded. .86 loaded with no theme lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 12:23 AM
    im getting the same problem, the exact message is "There was a communication error between the device and the Desktop Manager"
    01-22-09 12:26 AM
    im getting the same problem, the exact message is "There was a communication error between the device and the Desktop Manager"
    same thing happening to me after upgrading to .90 while attempting to restore a backup
    01-22-09 12:43 AM
    I got the same problem. Do a batt pull first and then clean your memory on your phone.

options > security options > clean memory > bb button > clean now

worked for me. BTW, I turned the radio off first before pulling the batt, just in case!
    01-22-09 01:17 AM
    And if it doesn't work using rooster's method, try mine. Just hit no. Mine went super slow but everything made it back on the phone.
    01-22-09 01:42 AM
    I had the same problem but the security cache clearing didn't fix mine. I had to enable mass storage mode on the phone before plugging it in and trying to restore my device settings.

Go to Options->Memory and make sure mass storage mode is set to enable as soon as the phone is plugged in. That should do it.
    01-22-09 01:43 AM
    And if it doesn't work using rooster's method, try mine. Just hit no. Mine went super slow but everything made it back on the phone.
    hit no to what?
    01-22-09 01:47 AM
    Hit no to Enable Mass Storage. I ran into the same problem. Looks like a lot of people did.
    01-22-09 01:52 AM
    yeah, no to mass storage was the trick...worked fine. thanks
    01-22-09 02:07 AM
    Thank You!

I had the same problem but the security cache clearing didn't fix mine. I had to enable mass storage mode on the phone before plugging it in and trying to restore my device settings.

Go to Options->Memory and make sure mass storage mode is set to enable as soon as the phone is plugged in. That should do it.
    01-22-09 02:24 AM

Enabled Mass Storage Mode first worked for me too.
    01-22-09 08:38 AM
    I too had the same problem restoring my backup *.ipd file. What I did was I restored all my files and setting by opening the Backup *.cab file through DM. Once I was able to open tis file, I highlighted everything then made the transfer. Now everything is restored.

It's good to know that other people experienced the same problem and were able to get through it by experimenting and being able to resolve these problems by using several methods of trial and error.

CB is AWESOME for information!!!
    01-22-09 12:08 PM
    Hi,

I have tried everything recommended here but am still getting the same error, I can't backup nor can I restore or update the software... any recommendations?

Any help is appreciated!
    02-15-09 09:17 AM
    Thank you all for the help! I was updating a friend's phone and the backup wouldn't work.

He didn't have mass storage mode enabled, so I fixed that for him and it worked great!
    02-17-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD