I need to replace my screen protector because it has a large scratch on it. Problem is, I can't get it to come off. I have the protectors that VZW sell in a 3 pack. I've replaced it twice before with no problem. I must have placed it perfectly this time because I cannot get it to peel off at all. I'm almost thinking I'm trying to remove something that isn't really there. Like the few times in the past I've tried to remove an old contact and after digging with my fingernail to no avail, realize I've been trying to pull off my own cornea because the contact is already gone. It better still be on there with the big scratch my Storm is sporting. Any ideas? Soak it in water? j/k

Anyone been in this predicament before?
    03-25-09 02:42 PM
    umm....may give that a try, but I can't even see anywhere to slide it under. There is no extra edge anywhere around it. But thanks!

I think I'm going to go try some duct tape next. If I can get a good grip it may pull it off.
    03-25-09 03:12 PM
    umm....may give that a try, but I can't even see anywhere to slide it under. There is no extra edge anywhere around it. But thanks!

I think I'm going to go try some duct tape next. If I can get a good grip it may pull it off.
    apply a piece of tape on one of the corners so it overlaps, let it get a nice hold and then lift up, the tape should stick to only the protector and lift up as you lift the tape. The end. Gluck!
    03-25-09 03:14 PM
    ^^great idea, I'll have to try that when I need to change mine.
    03-25-09 03:16 PM
    make sure that the factory one is still actually on there...

it isn't the exact size of the screen, so if you don't see an edge anywhere, it may not be there.

an then not only might the duct tape leave nasty adhesive on there, it might take the whole screen with it
    03-25-09 03:34 PM
    make sure that the factory one is still actually on there...

it isn't the exact size of the screen, so if you don't see an edge anywhere, it may not be there.

an then not only might the duct tape leave nasty adhesive on there, it might take the whole screen with it
    Nobody said to use duct tape, just regular scotch tape can do the trick.
    03-25-09 03:36 PM
    when i use to use screen protectors, i took the last one off with a knife. i went to the corner put the end of a knife under it and the peeled it off :-) sort of a dangerous way but thats what i did.
    Exactly what I did! I thought the same thing..omg this is dangerous..but it worked!
    03-25-09 03:37 PM
    Warm it with a blow dryer. A KNIFE?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 03:42 PM
    I just caught the corner by picking at it with my fingernail...
    03-25-09 03:45 PM
    If it's on there that good, make sure to peel it off at an angle, and slowly. Heard of peole ruining their screens.
    03-25-09 04:06 PM
    Duct tape has not worked and I tried Scotch tape already. This thing is really stuck on here. I have been trying to use a straight pin to catch the edge of it from the outer edges and nothing. It honestly looks like there is no screen protector applied. I have this phone on me almost 24/7 and I know I it has not come off on its own. When I run the pin across the screen it has a plasticy feel to it, so I'm sure it is not the glass that is scratched. I hope.

I like the idea of the blow dryer. I'll remove the battery to ensure it is not running and see if a little heat will help. Don't worry. I would never do anything to damage my little baby so I won't heat it up too much. I'll report the results.
    03-25-09 04:11 PM
    There is a video on youtube somewhere of a man scratching away at his bare screen with a dirty great big sharp knife.

So if it's any consolation, I'd be almost certain the screen protector is still on

Good luck!
    03-25-09 04:19 PM
    I need to replace my screen protector because it has a large scratch on it. Problem is, I can't get it to come off. I have the protectors that VZW sell in a 3 pack. I've replaced it twice before with no problem. I must have placed it perfectly this time because I cannot get it to peel off at all. I'm almost thinking I'm trying to remove something that isn't really there. Like the few times in the past I've tried to remove an old contact and after digging with my fingernail to no avail, realize I've been trying to pull off my own cornea because the contact is already gone. It better still be on there with the big scratch my Storm is sporting. Any ideas? Soak it in water? j/k

Anyone been in this predicament before?
    DO YOU REALLY DIG YOUR EYES WITH YOUR FINGERNAILS!?!?!?! Wow, I wear glasses and I'm so tentative to go to contacts and now I think I'm atleast a year or more away from that!
    03-25-09 04:46 PM
    You could try using an Exacto Knife ...the kind with the triangular blade. I have been successful with this in the past
    03-25-09 05:14 PM
    I am so depressed. I've come to the conclusion that my screen protector is really gone and I have a massive scratch on the glass. I don't know how, when, or why it came off. I am so careful with my Storm. If I have to put it in my purse I put the glass side up against a soft edge. I have had a silicone cover and screen protectors on it since day one and only take the cover off for cleaning or cradling. I can only think of 2 options for this to have happened:

1) One of my almost 4 year old twins got a hold of it. Don't see how they would have removed the screen protector, though.

2) SABOTAGE! Everyone around me knows how much I love my Storm. I don't have any enemies, but maybe they were sick of hearing about my Storm. Some jealous winmo or iphone person must have keyed my phone. (I don't really believe this, but I like the theory)

I know the glass is scratched because when I run a pin inside of the scratch it is definitely rough like scratched glass. The screen protector would not have scratched in this fashion (see pics) and would not feel like this. I sat outside in very bright sunlight and there is definitely no protector on it.

Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement screen? I don't have insurance (no scoldings please) and even if I did, I'm afraid to get a replacement. It took me 3 phones to get a good one.

So sad.
    03-25-09 06:27 PM
    If you push the pin straight down (not stab) litly and push it over your finger like a sea saw it should pick it up. If not it should at least let you know if you have one on at all. The plastic of the protector is more apt to allow the pin to penetrate. Much more so than the plastic of the screen. Maybe, just maybe somehow it came off.
    03-25-09 06:38 PM
    O you should try to do this outside your direct viewing area jsut in case.
    03-25-09 06:39 PM
    Ahhh Duct Tape, Alabama Stainless Steel.
    03-25-09 06:44 PM
    I dont know, from looking at the pics, I am having a hard time seeing the little dots and the rainbow reflection is really making me think it is still there, just on like superglue. That being said, it may have a scratch beneath it which is what is keeping it in so well.

I would say bring it to the store and ask them for help. I honestly think it is really still there. I think people use cnn.cn for blackberry parts.
    03-25-09 06:50 PM
    Won't work. It is a very fine straight pin and should be able to make a slight hole or at least some fine scratches in the plastic. Neither is happening. This is pure glass I'm working against. My other protectors would get fine scratches on it and right now the only scratches are what is depicted in the pictures. Something like a set of keys must have been rubbing against this. I just wish I could recall how it would have happened. Having twins has robbed me of all short term memory unless it is to look for a missing toy.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Just beware that these screens are not impenetrable as the youtube video suggests.
    03-25-09 06:51 PM
    The little dots are there. I cleaned the screen very well outside to get a really good look and could see through it very clearly, but no edges to a protector. I'm pretty sure when I've put them on in the past that the fit is just under-sized. I was always able to use my fingernails to pull it up. The fact that the scratch feels and sounds just like a glass scratch and is also felt to the touch when I rub my finger across it is what has me convinced.

I haven't given up hope yet and will probably be picking at this thing for the next week, but will probably be for naught.
    03-25-09 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD