Hey everyone. I'm new to this particular forum and I have a question that I'm hoping someone will know the answer to. I bought a Voyager about a year ago. My wife then upgraded her phone 2 months after me on her own account and we then joined together in a family share program and traded phones (she upgraded to the Dare so we traded phones). We signed the contract sometime in June I think. So I'm the second line of the plan, but I got a second job and would like to get the Storm and use the web for my new job. I know after a year Verizon allows you to upgrade at promotional price as long as you sign a new 2 year contract. But my question is A. Can I actually do this and upgrade to the Storm for $199, and B. Would this allow me to a second free Storm so that I can give to my wife and upgrade our plan? If anyone knows if I can do this let me know. I can't talk to Verizon because I'm not the primary and my wife has no idea what to ask them about this.

Thanks,

brilor04
    03-20-09 06:40 AM
    What do you mean you can't talk to Verizon? My wife is the primary on our account, but I can still talk to them and do all the business with them. You need to be eligible for the New Every Two discount. Then you can upgrade with a new contract. At least that's what we did. But just talk to the VZW rep. They are very willing to work with you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-20-09 08:05 AM
    You can upgrade at one year but you'll pay a little more for the phone. As far as the buy one get one deal, you'll really have to talk to Verizon about that. Both lines have to be eligible. Bu tthey can be flexible.

03-20-09 08:13 AM
    Wow, I've just read alot of bad info people gave you.

To put it in simpler terms:

A: You cannot do an annual upgrade as you are the secondary and secondary lines cannot do annual upgrades for 2 year price. To upgrade with 2 year price you have to wait until you are 20 months into your contract. However if your wife, the primary, is eligible you can do an alternate upgrade with her eligibility.

B: In order to take advantage of the BOGO offer you need to have 2 lines that are eligible to upgrade. So as it is right now, it doesn't seem like you will be able to us the BOGO unless you add a new line.

But first things first, find out of the primary is eligible so at least you can get one at the 2 year price.
    03-20-09 01:09 PM
    USHNEB is spot on, but just to add a little more info::

If he changes his MTN to be the primary, then he will not get the benefit of being the primary for at least 20 months. Just because his line has been in contract for a year doesn't mean that he'll get the Early Upgrade discount by making himself the primary. That would be manipulating the system and Verizon has failsafes in place to prevent customers from doing that.

If you are a high value customer (meaning that your plan is higher than just the bare minimum), with an excellent payment history and not a lot of credits (requested by you, as it were... not necessarily for billing issues or rep mistake), then a supervisor MAY authorize an upgrade exception.

edit: you don't HAVE to add a new line to get the BOGO... unless you don't have any other lines eligible for upgrade, and you want a 2nd phone.
    Last edited by seVer916; 03-20-09 at 02:04 PM. Reason: requested edit for content
    03-20-09 01:46 PM
    Here's what I want to do: My dad's plan (I'm on the plan) has only my plan available for upgrade, but he wants a Storm as well. Could we pay the full $400 for his, and then use the free one on my line that is eligible for an upgrade? So it would end up being 2 for $200, like they had both been renewed? Or is there something I'm not thinking of?
    03-20-09 01:55 PM
    #1 the full price is $499.99

#2 you cannot buy 1 at full retail and get a 2nd free. There is no contract with that scenario, which is what is required with ANY BOGO offer.
    03-20-09 01:59 PM
    As others mentioned - just talk to your rep.

I just took advantage of this deal. We have 3 lines on a family plan (wife, myself and my daughter). My wife is primary but I have done upgrades plenty of times - they just asked me some info to verify (wifes b-day, social, etc...).

My last upgrade (about a week ago) went as follows: I had a curve but wanted a storm. My curve was NOT eligible for an upgrade, nor was my wifes (motorola). However - my 14 year old daughters LG was! I used her eligibility (much to her dismay!) to upgrade MY phone to a storm for the $199.99 price. I also used the buy on get one free to allow a family member (my brother has a curve that is eligible for upgrade) to get a storm for free. His is on the way.

Gotta love those promotions!
    03-20-09 03:23 PM
    If you weren't authd for the acct and all you had to do was answer some questions, then I hope that rep gets fired. It goes against ALL the privacy and security practices Verizon has in place.

03-20-09 03:27 PM
    If you weren't authd for the acct and all you had to do was answer some questions, then I hope that rep gets fired. It goes against ALL the privacy and security practices Verizon has in place.

Then I guess a WHOLE bunch will get fired! lol. Because the procedure for the last 3 or 4 times I did this was EXACTLY the same with different reps!

In all seriousness - I am guessing that I was "authd" for the account, as you put it. They asked for my wifes b-day as well as a "passcode" that my wife and I came up with.

I do remember one time that they asked for her to get on the phone on a second line since I had forgotten the passcode - but had no issue with the last few upgrades.
    03-20-09 03:32 PM
    I have a question too and it seems there is some knowledge in this thread so here goes......I have a Pearl and am considering upgrading to the Storm. I am eligible for NE2 on July2, 2009. From what I understand I can upgrade now for $199 and sign another 2-year deal OR I can wait until July 2 and pay $149 (after the $50 NE2) and sign another 2-year contract. Is that correct?

Secondly.......should I go for the Storm? (I see there is a lot of god vs. bad discussion over it)
    03-20-09 03:39 PM
    Authd = authorized. If there's a password, chances are you are authorized... But your post was kind of vague about that. No worries.

03-20-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD