1. Ozren's Avatar
    Hello all,

    Long story short, I've had the BB Storm since December or so, and while the phone has its hiccups, I've enjoyed it, even though I've been frustrated at times. However, I was recently at Six Flags and either got my phone stolen or dropped it on a ride. Since I called my phone immediately after the ride and it still had a ring (even hours later), I think it was stolen (slipped out my pocket on the seat, next group onto the ride took it?). Anyway, I filed a lost item report and, unsurprisingly, they still haven't found it.

    So, I de-activated the phone b/c it was pretty much fully equipped w/ personal info, data plan, and it was unlocked by Verizon to use globablly to boot.

    Then, I RE-ACTIVATED my OLD phone, the RAZR 2 and that's what I'm using now.

    Here's my question:

    I have insurance on the phone: If I pay $50, I'll get a brand new one. I am VERY TEMPTED to do this especially because of this new update due on Sunday.

    However, would Verizon be able to UNLOCK this replacement Storm as well (since they've already unlocked one for me) ?? *This is an important factor in making a decision.

    My other option was to stick with my old phone and then either go with a 9630, a Verizon branded Bold (if that happens), or the seemingly inevitable Storm 2 (my guess is that it'll drop by the holidays).

    So, should I use the insurance and get a new Storm OR wait until fall/winter to pick up a new blackberry model? And, in case anyone is wondering, I won't be eligible for an "upgrade" until like next year I think or this winter MAYBE, so that isn't really a factor.

    ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED! I really don't know what to do! Thanks!
    05-30-09 01:52 AM
  2. tyler.hopkins's Avatar
    I would go ahead and get another storm if I were you. By the time the tour and storm 2 drop you'll have your upgrade and they'll have the bugs worked out of them.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 02:27 AM
  3. HeroBerry's Avatar
    I would get another Storm if I was you. I wouldn't rely on release dates for the 9630 or the Storm 2. Even if they did release soon, there is no telling if the OS will work well or if there will be any hardware problems.

    I say go through insurance and get your new Storm. Then, as other devices get released or even confirmed make a decision as to what you want to do.
    05-30-09 03:14 AM
  4. mattmext's Avatar
    I would use the insurance and get a new storm. As stated above who knows when they will actually release. Plus I’m not sure if they would let you use your insurance for a new bb model. What’s $50 to be able to have a storm as opposed to carrying RAZR 2.
    05-30-09 03:26 AM
  5. Ozren's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards getting a replacement Storm. I mean, after all, why am I paying the monthly insurance if I'm not going to use it in situations like this?

    However, I still need to know if they will UNLOCK that phone (so I can use it on any global GSM network) because they've already unlocked one BB Storm for me.

    Also, does anyone have info/personal experiences with this new OS update planned for Sunday (through the leak)? I'm wondering if it really is the GREAT update the storm needed.

    Thanks for all the help so far!
    05-30-09 03:26 AM
  6. noaim's Avatar
    Hello all,

    Long story short, I've had the BB Storm since December or so, and while the phone has its hiccups, I've enjoyed it, even though I've been frustrated at times. However, I was recently at Six Flags and either got my phone stolen or dropped it on a ride. Since I called my phone immediately after the ride and it still had a ring (even hours later), I think it was stolen (slipped out my pocket on the seat, next group onto the ride took it?). Anyway, I filed a lost item report and, unsurprisingly, they still haven't found it.

    So, I de-activated the phone b/c it was pretty much fully equipped w/ personal info, data plan, and it was unlocked by Verizon to use globablly to boot.

    Then, I RE-ACTIVATED my OLD phone, the RAZR 2 and that's what I'm using now.

    Here's my question:

    I have insurance on the phone: If I pay $50, I'll get a brand new one. I am VERY TEMPTED to do this especially because of this new update due on Sunday.

    However, would Verizon be able to UNLOCK this replacement Storm as well (since they've already unlocked one for me) ?? *This is an important factor in making a decision.

    My other option was to stick with my old phone and then either go with a 9630, a Verizon branded Bold (if that happens), or the seemingly inevitable Storm 2 (my guess is that it'll drop by the holidays).

    So, should I use the insurance and get a new Storm OR wait until fall/winter to pick up a new blackberry model? And, in case anyone is wondering, I won't be eligible for an "upgrade" until like next year I think or this winter MAYBE, so that isn't really a factor.

    ANY AND ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED! I really don't know what to do! Thanks!
    For one thing your entitled to the storm for 50 bucks thats what its there for.

    If you want a tour you can still get it. Either way your getting a your insurance.

    I mean it doesn't make sense to not spend that 50 for the phone. Even if you ended up selling it.

    Its not like your abusing it you paid for the insurance.
    05-30-09 04:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD