I'm trying to manage the media already on my computer to transfer it to my Blackberry. But for some reason I cannot click the Start button underneath Manage Media. I can for Rhapsody Media Manager and iTunes sync (which worked fine for me) but not for regular media manager. Please help!
    11-22-08 12:35 PM
    You can just enable mass storage and copy the files using Windows explorer.
    11-22-08 12:41 PM
    You can just enable mass storage and copy the files using Windows explorer.

And how do I go about doing that?
    11-22-08 12:47 PM
    Trey - the button will become available if you plug your Berry into the computer. If it's not plugged, it won't work.
    11-22-08 02:01 PM
    No offense but I'm not that stupid. It is plugged in.
    11-22-08 02:03 PM
    Once you plug in your device, you should see a prompt on your phone says enable mass storage mode, and click yes.
    Then you should see two new removable drives in "My computer".

And how do I go about doing that?
    11-22-08 02:05 PM
    Never came up on my phone and under MY Computer only drive I see is BlackBerry 9530.
    11-22-08 02:10 PM
    I had the same problem with the Manage Media feature. Everything else worked, but the button on that section to start it was greyed out.

For some reason, software CDs from Verizon don't install properly on my computer. In this case, the Media Manager application bombed when it installed, but everything works normally elsewhere in the Desktop Manager.

What I did is just went to Blackberry.com, and downloaded the Desktop Manager 4.7 software... make sure you get the specific one WITH Media Manager because there is an option to download one that doesn't have media manager.

Once is reinstalled to my PC via the downloaded file, it works like a charm. Hope that helps.
    11-22-08 02:33 PM
    In Options->Memory, turn on Media Card Supoort, MTP, Mass Storage Mode, and Auto enable mass sotrage mode when connected to prompt.

Never came up on my phone and under MY Computer only drive I see is BlackBerry 9530.
    11-22-08 02:37 PM
    I had the same problem with the Manage Media feature. Everything else worked, but the button on that section to start it was greyed out.

For some reason, software CDs from Verizon don't install properly on my computer. In this case, the Media Manager application bombed when it installed, but everything works normally elsewhere in the Desktop Manager.

What I did is just went to Blackberry.com, and downloaded the Desktop Manager 4.7 software... make sure you get the specific one WITH Media Manager because there is an option to download one that doesn't have media manager.

Once is reinstalled to my PC via the downloaded file, it works like a charm. Hope that helps.
    I am VERY SURE that I downloaded the one WITH MEDIA MANAGER
    Last edited by TreyDaPrince; 11-22-08 at 02:47 PM.
    11-22-08 02:44 PM
    I did NOT plug BB into computer before installing USB drivers. I did NOT install any application, only USB drivers.

First time I plugged phone into USB (after installing USB drivers first), it came right up as a drive under My Computer. In that drive is a folder "Media Card". I "just" copied an MP3 from my C drive directly into that folder. Instantly that MP3 was on my Storm.

As a test, I deleted that MP3 from the "Media Card" folder by hitting delete key. Instantly it was purged from Storm.

In short, full media sync, no application needed.

Tom
    11-22-08 03:08 PM
    Yeah well I guess that what I'm gonna have to do in order to sync. But I thought that was the whole purpse of having desktop manager to make it easier. But whatever...I'm over it...

Thanks anyway
    11-22-08 03:26 PM
    I have the same problem. I can't get that option either.

Any Ideas?
    11-22-08 05:35 PM
    I'm having a weird problem too. I'm running Windows Vista business, and when I plug in my storm I see one "device" called BlackBerry 9530. When I click on that I see Device Memory and Media Card. Both of those show nothing in it though. Windows shows that there are files used up (there is less free space than there is total space), but nothing is showing up there.

If I drag any files into the memory card drive, they seem to transfer fine and show up on the storm, but they show under "SDCard/BlackBerry/music/" for all files or folders I drag over. Everything is under the music folder.

Weirder still, is that when I plug my storm back in, the Media Card drive doesn't show any files or folders there - but they are there when I view it on the phone.

I should also add the only thing I can see in the Media Manager is the device memory, not the media card. Is that normal? After I close the Media Manager, I see a drive called Blackberry1, but no Blackberry2 like I think I should be seeing. Any ideas?

I have hidden files set to show. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I tried to search.

Thanks!
    -Dan
    Last edited by synapse7; 11-25-08 at 12:38 AM.
    11-25-08 12:27 AM
    I am VERY SURE that I downloaded the one WITH MEDIA MANAGER
    reinstall the software and next time do a advance install and manually select what features you want to install..

I was in the same boat bud.. good luck
    11-25-08 12:35 AM
    I'm having a weird problem too. I'm running Windows Vista business, and when I plug in my storm I see one "device" called BlackBerry 9530. When I click on that I see Device Memory and Media Card. Both of those show nothing in it though. Windows shows that there are files used up (there is less free space than there is total space), but nothing is showing up there.

If I drag any files into the memory card drive, they seem to transfer fine and show up on the storm, but they show under "SDCard/BlackBerry/music/" for all files or folders I drag over. Everything is under the music folder.

Weirder still, is that when I plug my storm back in, the Media Card drive doesn't show any files or folders there - but they are there when I view it on the phone.

I should also add the only thing I can see in the Media Manager is the device memory, not the media card. Is that normal? After I close the Media Manager, I see a drive called Blackberry1, but no Blackberry2 like I think I should be seeing. Any ideas?

I have hidden files set to show. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I tried to search.

Thanks!
    -Dan

bump - can anyone help with this? Sort of annoying my memory card seems to be a black hole...
    11-25-08 09:21 AM
    bump - can anyone help with this? Sort of annoying my memory card seems to be a black hole...
    Storm2 answered this earlier in this thread.

In Options->Memory, turn on Media Card Supoort, MTP, Mass Storage Mode, and Auto enable mass storage mode when connected to Auto or Prompt (I turned mine to Auto).

Then when you connect your storm to the PC you'll see two drives come up, one is the media card and the other is the onboard memory. You can copy files directly from there.
    11-25-08 10:24 AM
    Storm2 answered this earlier in this thread.

In Options->Memory, turn on Media Card Supoort, MTP, Mass Storage Mode, and Auto enable mass storage mode when connected to Auto or Prompt (I turned mine to Auto).

Then when you connect your storm to the PC you'll see two drives come up, one is the media card and the other is the onboard memory. You can copy files directly from there.
    I saw this and tried those settings but then no drives show up at all (Desktop Manager says it is connected though). When I turn off Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode, then it shows up as I described.

I will try to post screen shots later. I think that will help. Thank you for the info though!
    11-25-08 10:57 AM
    Ok, so here is a more complete explanation!

I have uploaded screen shots of everything. Those that are prefixed by a "1" indicate that I was using these settings on the storm:

Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None
    MTP: On
    Mass Storage Media Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Media when Connected: Yes

Those images prefixed with a "2" were taken when I had these settings enabled:

Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: None
    MTP: On
    Mass Storage Media Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Media when Connected: No

Those marked after_media_manager means that is what my computer looked like after I ran the media manager and then closed it.

It seems like I am getting backwards results when using the Mass Storage Media settings (but I just might not understand it yet). Also, it is weird I think that I am only seeing Blackberrry1, not a Blackberry2 drive as well.

When I plug in my blackberry and do NOT use Mass Storage Media, it shows up as a device, with two drives "under" it. Though the media card appears blank, though it obviously isn't.
    11-25-08 12:01 PM
    I was having these problems also. I compeletly uninstalled desktop manager and started over. Then it worked, I could see the drives, and everything in them, and the media manager also worked.
    11-25-08 01:01 PM
    Just tried reinstalling and I'm getting the same issues. I can't believe it is working for everyone else fine. I wonder if it is a Vista issue maybe?

Update: Actually got it to work now! It required uninstalling Desktop Manager completely, reinstalling, going into windows device manager and uninstalling both detected storage devices, then reinstalling them. Not sure if all of that was necessary but it seemed to have fixed it!
    Last edited by synapse7; 11-25-08 at 09:05 PM.
    11-25-08 06:03 PM
    I've had nothing but problems with my DM. It took forever to install and then wasn't recognizing my Storm.

After an uninstall and a re-install, it worked fine but totally screwed up my computer - messed up the computer's time and took forever to get Windows XP to load. Had to uninstall again.

Now I'm getting an error message when I try to use my speed dial on my phone and I'm hoping that the DM didn't monkey around with my phone programs.

Is it possible to move music/videos/etc. without the DM installed on my computer? Anyone heard of the speed dial error message before? net_rim_bb_phone_app(286) not responding
    12-17-08 11:29 AM
    The only way I've ever been able to see the "blackberry2" drive which is the SD card is to open up DM > open up Media manager > close media manager > then I see the blackberry1 drive. I then have to uninstall and reinstall an unknown device in windows device manager and then I see blackberry2.

Definitely shouldn't take all that work but I have run out of things to try.

And sorry, I'm haven't see the net_rim_bb_phone_app(286) before. But I only have 1 speed dial.
    12-17-08 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD