I'd post this in the 'ask a Tmo rep' thread, but as it's a Storm I don't know if they'll know-- my contract is up, and I don't want to sign a new one until this 1st of January. Until then I am settling with (*gasp*) Tmo's prepaid sim cards. The problem is, as soon as I inserted and activated the damn prepaid sim card my browser will not work. The APN settings are correct, I called and spoke to the rep and he set everything up so that I can have internet access, I rebooted, but the browser will not change from 'Hotspot Browser' and when I go into the configuration menu there is no regular 'Internet Browser' option. It is bad enough not getting my BBM and push email service for these next 3 weeks, so how the heck do I get the option to at least change my browser? The rep said that there is no reason why the option would not be there anymore. I can connect my home wifi just fine, but I can't access the data I'm paying for on the wretched prepaid plan. I've never used a this kind of service before, so if anyone knows how to configure it I would be beyond grateful!!!
    12-12-10 04:40 PM
    As a side note, none of my BB's are Tmo branded so it is doing this on all of them, but it is the 9550 I want to be using
    12-12-10 04:41 PM
    Oh nevermind, opera works so problem solved (in a way). I always liked this browser better anyway. God I miss my BBM though! Come on, January!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 08:08 PM
    You can't activate Blackberry services on a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card. That's your problem. BTW, you don't have to renew a contract to keep it... just continue to pay your monthly bill on your existing expired contract and all will be fine... I'm puzzled as to why you thought you needed to go to the prepaid service.
    12-12-10 09:44 PM
    You can't activate Blackberry services on a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card. That's your problem.
    Yes, I have always been aware that you can't activate Blackberry services on a Tmobile prepaid, I was prepared for this. I can however use just internet, though, which was my concern- how to connect to just the internet with the data on the prepaid plan. I wasn't sure of which browser to use, what I was doing wrong, and why it wasn't working.

BTW, you don't have to renew a contract to keep it... just continue to pay your monthly bill on your existing expired contract and all will be fine... I'm puzzled as to why you thought you needed to go to the prepaid service.
    I know this, I didn't 'think I needed to'-- as my contract was up, that left me with the freedom of spending an extra 150 bucks on my little ones' Christmas, and just use the prepaid for the remainder of December. A small sacrifice really, to go without pushed email and apps for 3 weeks in exchange for smiles It may have sounded like I was griping in my original post but I was frustrated and just worried that I would be without web access when away from home right now.
    12-12-10 11:55 PM
    Like I said, the BB browser and everything in terms of native data apps only work if you are BB data provisioned. Without that, you're left with standard IP connectivity the phone may have via the carrier network and any apps that can work via that tunnel will work. I'd be more worried about data charges on the prepaid plan than anything else if that's not handled as part of the standard rates you prepay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 12:30 AM
    BB data (apps, ect.) was never my concern, I knew I wouldn't have it as I wouldn't have BIS. See, what was odd and sparked my confusion was only this- after setting up the temporary prepaid plan, I had an icon labeled 'web-to-go'. It was never there before, so I assumed it came from Tmobile and was for the web use with my prepaid data. The rep on the phone also confirmed this. However, when I clicked on it, all it did was open up the usual BB browser. Then the browser allowed me to 'browse' with wifi, but nothing else, and I couldn't change the options. Anyway, I've got it all figured out now: use BB browser when connected to wifi, Opera with plan data.

As for data costs, this came with 100MB's so as I'm connected to wifi at both home and work that's more than enough for 2.5 weeks of checking email on the road (via Opera) while not connected to wifi, which is very minimal.
    12-13-10 07:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD