I am excited to finally update my storm to .148, however I am unsure about a few things. Is it absolutely necessary to back up things beforehand? Will my storm appear to be completely new if I don't? I ask because lately I cannot get my computer to recognize my storm no matter what troubleshooting I do (any threads about this?), and I would rather just skip this process. I am also wondering if updating my OS (with or without backing up) will erase things like e-mail, texts, applications, and high scores for games? Thanks ahead of time!
    06-01-09 02:38 PM
    If you upgrade via DM it automatically backs everything up for you. But, yes, it is usually a good idea to back stuff up before you start.
    06-01-09 02:41 PM
    Doing a back-up is always a good idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 02:42 PM
    Yes it is always a good idea to back up your data. The dm does not always do a good job with backing stuff up especially third party apps. If you do not your storm will feel like a new phone because it is empty.

Just read the sticky on my sig. Good luck.
    06-01-09 02:42 PM
    Yes unless you like losing all of your information apps settings if something goes wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-09 02:45 PM
    Yes. Do a backup. I did .113 and .132 flawlessly. Then I did .148 and it failed twice before working correctly, and then I had to restore the apps and data manually. It's worth the extra time so you don't loose contacts or SMS messages or whatever.
    06-01-09 02:47 PM
    Thanks for the help, but I'm really having a problem with plugging my storm into my computer. It won't show that the storm's been plugged in, although it will show other devices that I plug in. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to fix this since it started happening a few months ago. What would you guys suggest I do? And will all of the things I mentioned above actually be saved through a backup? Sorry bout all the questions, I appreciate your input.
    06-01-09 02:50 PM
    Nobody can guarantee you that everything will automatically back up and restore. That is the way it is SUPPOSED to work, but it doesn't always. I upgraded two phones yesterday on the same PC, using the same process-- one restored automatically, and the other didn't. It is ALWAYS best to manually back up the device and the 3rd party apps first.
    06-01-09 02:54 PM
    Thanks for the help, but I'm really having a problem with plugging my storm into my computer. It won't show that the storm's been plugged in, although it will show other devices that I plug in. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to fix this since it started happening a few months ago. What would you guys suggest I do? And will all of the things I mentioned above actually be saved through a backup? Sorry bout all the questions, I appreciate your input.
    Do you have the latest version of the DM. The latest is version 4.7.
    By the way are you running xp or vista?
    06-01-09 02:54 PM
    Yes, it's 4.7 and I'm running Vista. And it did work when I first got my storm, it suddenly stopped recognizing it one day.
    06-01-09 03:10 PM
    Yes, it's 4.7 and I'm running Vista. And it did work when I first got my storm, it suddenly stopped recognizing it one day.
    Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling DM on your computer?
    06-01-09 03:18 PM
    Ok, I just did something and connected the storm and it just started updating all these things. Think its working now
    06-01-09 03:20 PM
    Yah, although it was DM 4.7 it looks like there were all these things it wanted to update. Still not sure why my computer chose to recognize it this time, but I'm gonna do everyhing in one go. Thanks a lot for the advice
    06-01-09 03:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD