Hey good peoples at crackberry!

first of all i'd like to thank you all for all the information freely available on this site! since i got my 9530 on the 5th of this month ive been SUBMERGED in these forums 24/7. i even downloaded the iberry 3G theme and all sorts of 3rd party apps and i love it all, so far.

however, cruising on these forums seems to have given me the techBUG and im aching to upgrade my .75 to the .109 OS version (mostly because of the many positive responses towards the .109 vs the .114 and the .113/.114 hybrid. im not trying to get too risky here, i just dont want the see the bugs ive already noticed on my current OS.

now to get to the point - ive read and reread and rereread the "how to install a leaked/beta OS" thread and i have no problems following directions and have a healthy grasp of what needs to be done in the specific order.

the problem - backing up my current OS/data. ive tried installing the drivers using the VZW drivers disk my storm came with. ive even downloaded the "blackberry USB drivers" file AND the "blackberry Desktop Manager w/o media" AND the one with media (though both are the english-only versions) through blackberry.com... and upon running the desktop manager my computer cant recognize the "device" connected through the USB. being desperate, i even opened up the blackberry device manager and tried to make available all the COM ports... no luck there either.

here's the weird part:

i have a macbook pro also. with parallels and windows xp pro sp3 installed on it. using that, the windows recognizes my blackberry though it seems to freeze whenever i try to backup my storm probably because it's just a virtual machine (at least that's been my conclusion).

on my PC, i have windows xp pro also, but not sure on the service pack. the install is smoother and after the install the program seems to function well but, again, it wont recognize or connect to my blackberry.

i've tried this on 2 different USB ports, and ive installed and uninstalled both drivers and various DM software over and over again...with no luck.

so please, if anybody has any advice on this matter, help this poor, desperate, stressed out blackberry noob

always,

s4rkis

ps - sorry for making this such a long thread
    03-18-09 08:42 PM
    I know parallels has given us mac users problems thats why I switched to VMWare works like a champ every time
    03-18-09 09:40 PM
    i'll def look into VMWare, though Parallels hasnt given me any problems yet. even installed my security monitoring system on it and it streams fine. Thanks for the heads up though, just out of curiosity - do you have any links to a free dl of VMware?

back to the topic - the problem still persists... i still cant get my PC to recognize my blackberry. i played around DM 4.7 more and it's as if it doesnt recognize the phone connected to the PC... its getting really frustrating. i'm downloading the multilanguage version now and DM 4.6 ... maybe it was a program bug?
    03-18-09 09:54 PM
    Post again once you have installed 4.6, because 4.7 does sometimes have some problems.

You appear to have a good understanding of computers, so I assume you are removing or deleting the programs through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
    03-18-09 10:31 PM
    Hey good peoples at crackberry!

first of all i'd like to thank you all for all the information freely available on this site! since i got my 9530 on the 5th of this month ive been SUBMERGED in these forums 24/7. i even downloaded the iberry 3G theme and all sorts of 3rd party apps and i love it all, so far.

however, cruising on these forums seems to have given me the techBUG and im aching to upgrade my .75 to the .109 OS version (mostly because of the many positive responses towards the .109 vs the .114 and the .113/.114 hybrid. im not trying to get too risky here, i just dont want the see the bugs ive already noticed on my current OS.

now to get to the point - ive read and reread and rereread the "how to install a leaked/beta OS" thread and i have no problems following directions and have a healthy grasp of what needs to be done in the specific order.

the problem - backing up my current OS/data. ive tried installing the drivers using the VZW drivers disk my storm came with. ive even downloaded the "blackberry USB drivers" file AND the "blackberry Desktop Manager w/o media" AND the one with media (though both are the english-only versions) through blackberry.com... and upon running the desktop manager my computer cant recognize the "device" connected through the USB. being desperate, i even opened up the blackberry device manager and tried to make available all the COM ports... no luck there either.

here's the weird part:

i have a macbook pro also. with parallels and windows xp pro sp3 installed on it. using that, the windows recognizes my blackberry though it seems to freeze whenever i try to backup my storm probably because it's just a virtual machine (at least that's been my conclusion).

on my PC, i have windows xp pro also, but not sure on the service pack. the install is smoother and after the install the program seems to function well but, again, it wont recognize or connect to my blackberry.

i've tried this on 2 different USB ports, and ive installed and uninstalled both drivers and various DM software over and over again...with no luck.

so please, if anybody has any advice on this matter, help this poor, desperate, stressed out blackberry noob

always,

s4rkis

ps - sorry for making this such a long thread

Go with this one, instead of .109!!! 98% love it!!!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ne...-great-181926/
    03-18-09 11:35 PM
    lol let me get the DM working right FIRST and ill love to research and install the new "mystery" hybrid by mr BBCRACKMAN

edit -
    ... trying one last time before i start installing the downgrade versions of DM (4.6,4.5, etc) God forbid the OS's work as "well" as the DM's... *sigh*
    03-19-09 04:14 AM
    update - finally got the USB to recognize my blackberry... though after i connect and punch in the device pw...... the DM freezes the moment i click on the backup/restore option.

am i the only person who's going through this crap? lol installing DM4.6 after download..
    03-19-09 04:21 AM
    4.6 is no good... it seems that the drivers are good for DM4.7 ...

DM doesnt recognize that my blackberry is connected. when it does, it freezes upon clicking on the backup/restore option... anybody have any ideas?
    03-19-09 05:12 AM
    My first thought would be the cable itself but the fact that it works on your mac box has me puzzled. That suggests a driver issue. Might be worth trying another cable anyways. Also do you have usb ports on the back and the front of your pc? Try the back ones. And is anything else connected to your usb ports that you can temp disconnect?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 05:57 AM
    My first thought would be the cable itself but the fact that it works on your mac box has me puzzled. That suggests a driver issue. Might be worth trying another cable anyways. Also do you have usb ports on the back and the front of your pc? Try the back ones. And is anything else connected to your usb ports that you can temp disconnect?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

yessir. did that last night, no good. im not giving up though if other people dont have software issues then i shouldnt either!
    03-19-09 11:50 AM
    hey guys, just thought id give you an update on whats goin on with my little upgrade project -

i ended up going to a buddy's house, downloaded the DM4.7 and the USB drivers to his PC with xp pro sp3 and well it got the job done very very smoothly. everything was very straightforward and i didnt even see the point of backing up my phone. .109 just loaded right up and it installed on its own and ive been enjoying the OS upgrade for the last couple days now.

no real problems that a reboot hasnt fixed. one thing that has gotten me slightly irritated is that sound randomly decides to turn off. my ringer doesnt work when receiving calls, for example. after a reboot it works fine again.

other than that everything is smoothe. the accelerometer is working great and it seems like the .109 is a much more solid OS than the .75 im very happy with it!

thanks for everything folks!

-s4rkis
    03-21-09 01:58 PM
    Keep trying to get it to work on your PC and let us know if you have success or not.
    03-21-09 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD