06-06-10 08:38 AM
34 12
tools
    Same prob as other Storm. When I am talking I can hear them just fine, but sporadically my voice cuts out for them. They say I just fade away, sound like I am far far away...can barely her me.... And then I just come back...

I am so tired of saying "CAn you hear me now"....

My other was replaced for a defective mic. NOw I wonder is this a software issue??

Verizon said it is not a typical signal issue, being that I hear them, and I never drop the call.

Anybody else???
    01-12-09 07:29 PM
    The Storm features noise cancellation and auto volume control.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 07:32 PM
    Is that the cause of my voice cutting out? I dont get it.?
    01-12-09 07:46 PM
    Is that the cause of my voice cutting out? I dont get it.?
    Very possibly. Try using the wired headset or speaker phone. The noise cancellation is most likely not active in those modes.
    01-12-09 07:54 PM
    Finger over mic? I had this problem many times now. keep covering the darn thing up.
    01-12-09 08:24 PM
    Well, you guys score a 10 on the friendly and helpful scale. But i think it is more than these. I really like the finger over the hole comment!

Goodgrief I am not thaaaattt bad..!!! hahahahaha

ONe Verizon tech did tell me that he had an issue like this with his Storm and that turning down the earpiece volume stopped it.. does seem like a feedback control issue or bug.. and never has happened on speaker phone... hmmm???

Was wondering if anyone else had this?? I guess not.
    01-12-09 08:39 PM
    I keep putting my finger over the little mic. Seems to be the source of my cutting in and out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 08:40 PM
    I have the same problem. People tell me all the time they can't hear me. I don't know what it is.
    01-12-09 09:11 PM
    I have the SAME exact problem... which I posted about recently and nobody really responded. The problem is the same, callers say I fade in and out, like I suddenly put the phone down and ran to the other side of a large room.

I bet it's my stupid finger (pinky, to be exact) covering the mic. When I hold the phone in my right hand, the pinky acts as a cradle... and it's the same exact spot as the mic.

I was talking to someone recently and it started happening, so I immediately moved my finger away and they could hear me again. Still need to do some more testing, but I'm confident it's the old "finger the mic" trick.

Yeah, I know that sounds dirty...
    01-13-09 01:33 AM
    I've had the same problem but only with my gf who uses a razr and is also on verizon. Everyone else says that I sound clear and crisp and have no problems with reception. I've yet to have a problem hearing other people *knock on wood*.
    01-13-09 04:17 AM
    Have had the same problem since I got my storm.
    01-13-09 08:02 AM
    Most people are smart enough to not put their finger over the microphone port or add a case that covers that same port. The problem is that the Storm has active noise cancellation and that is the source of crummy sounding phone calls when you use the handset microphone (the little hole in the chin of the Storm).

Try using a BlueTooth headset or even the wired headset that came with the Storm and you'll find people can hear you much better- a clear voice that does not fade, cut out, or sound muffled. This even works in speakerphone mode. That's because its not using the in-phone noise cancellation.

It appears the noise cancellation is killing your voice waveform, essentially removing noise that is not present. This is why some people find they sound better while in a very noisy environment-- the noise reduction software actually performs as it should then.

RIM needs to step up an fix this issue in a future firmware release. I wish they would include an option to disable it.
    01-13-09 08:41 AM
    Thanks for the advice. I cant believe I am covering the hole, but I will watch for it.

I do believe that it is the noise cancelation software issue. Now that I see I am not alone and have had it on two phones, it makes me understand better.

The Verizon Custmer service rep told me to turn the earpiece volume down (dont keep all the way up)... That did not fix mine, it still happened, but I did not keep trying.. I just returned it...

Makes sense that the volume being up would tell the OS that it is in a louder environment and maybe trigger the noise cancellation sensitivity??

I'll be testing it.. You guys do the same and report back..??

Thanks.
    01-13-09 09:20 AM
    I have the same issue. I've found lifting the device closer to my mouth occasionally works. Perhaps it's a firmware issue if so many of us are having troubles? RIM couldn't have released so many faulty microphones right?
    01-13-09 09:24 AM
    **** humble pie ****** shame shame shame*****Tail between legs..

Oh my God, I really do think I have had my finger over the mic hole !!! This is hilarious, humiliating, and clarifying all in one.

I replicated it today on purpose as soon as I realized my little fat pinky finger on my right hand goes right over that hole to cradle the phone...I move it there subconsciously while talking and then panic running around screaming "can you hear me now"....at some point I move my finger and they can hear me.....

Holy Crap I feel like the biggest newbie goofball. I believe this has solved my prob and answers why it was so sporadic, non-reproducible, and happened on other Storms...
    01-13-09 03:54 PM
    **** humble pie ****** shame shame shame*****Tail between legs..

Oh my God, I really do think I have had my finger over the mic hole !!! This is hilarious, humiliating, and clarifying all in one.

I replicated it today on purpose as soon as I realized my little fat pinky finger on my right hand goes right over that hole to cradle the phone...I move it there subconsciously while talking and then panic running around screaming "can you hear me now"....at some point I move my finger and they can hear me.....

Holy Crap I feel like the biggest newbie goofball. I believe this has solved my prob and answers why it was so sporadic, non-reproducible, and happened on other Storms...
    Hmm, I might have to reevaluate how I've been holding my phone
    01-13-09 04:02 PM
    I am having this problem as well, and I am def not covering up the hole with my finger. Called Verizon to see if they had any ideas, and the rep said he has NEVER heard of this problem before. If the next software upgrade does not fix this issue, I am going to have to return it. I love this phone, but if nobody can hear me what is the point?
    01-14-09 03:50 PM
    Just started having this problem in past week. Have had phone since end of November, and have updated OS with each leaked version. Now running .85. Haven't gone to .86 yet.

In past few days, friends keep telling me that I fade out and sound muffled, just as described by everyone else. Nobody complained to me of this with earlier software versions. I wonder if this is a software issue confined to the later releases, or present in all. What version are those of you with this problem running?

Very frustrating, but doesn't sound as if it will help me to return the phone.
    01-14-09 10:46 PM
    wow... im having the same problem as well and thought it was just me...
    01-14-09 10:59 PM
    Just started having this problem in past week. Have had phone since end of November, and have updated OS with each leaked version. Now running .85. Haven't gone to .86 yet.

In past few days, friends keep telling me that I fade out and sound muffled, just as described by everyone else. Nobody complained to me of this with earlier software versions. I wonder if this is a software issue confined to the later releases, or present in all. What version are those of you with this problem running?

Very frustrating, but doesn't sound as if it will help me to return the phone.
    I have the official 0.75 and the problem is there. I've done lots of tests and can only conclude its firmware related to active noise cancellation.

Try a very simple test: Call someone and start on the handset. Ask them to listen to you as you read something. Then switch to speakerphone and read the same thing. I'm willing to bet they exclaim you sound 10 times better on speaker phone. Reason: no active noise cancellation.
    01-14-09 11:53 PM
    I'd be up for the test, but I don't think the people will want to hear me read. Unless it's Judy Blume material. I've been told I read Blume rather well...

In all seriousness though, I thought for sure it was the finger over the mic. My last POS phone (That Which Shall Remain Un-named) lost the ability to "give good call", if you know what I mean. Well, what I mean is, it just didn't work. The ONLY way to hear a call was to have it on speaker. I finally broke the shackles of Gadget Oppression and got a REAL phone (the Storm) and now I'm back to... using the speaker??!?!?!

There's a Bluetooth in my future.
    01-15-09 12:18 AM
    I also have this issue, and i thought it was me too. It only happened to me twice though. I've had the phone since Christmas Eve. It seems like everyday i find out something new that is wrong with the phone but i like it so much i don't know why... Maybe i should just get a replacement?!?
    01-15-09 12:58 AM
    this happens to me alot, mic hole isnt covered, it happens w/ speaker and w.o... kinda annoying cuz its really random.
    01-15-09 01:44 AM
    That is how I figured out what was wrong. I did this and the person couldn't believe that speakerphone sounded better! It really should be the other way around if anything. I am running the official 75 as well. I am not savvy enough to download the leaked upgrades. I will wait patiently

[/QUOTE] Try a very simple test: Call someone and start on the handset. Ask them to listen to you as you read something. Then switch to speakerphone and read the same thing. I'm willing to bet they exclaim you sound 10 times better on speaker phone. Reason: no active noise cancellation.[/QUOTE]
    01-16-09 02:42 PM
    When this happened to me I thought it was a signal issue, as it was marginal.

It happened again with a strong signal, but I then thought maybe I was covering the mic. This happened to me yesterday and I verified that I was not covering the mic. I also tried to put it on speaker phone and the caller could not hear me.

Is everyone thinking the issue is the firmware not the hardware?
    02-22-09 09:56 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD