I am not currently a Verizon customer, I stopped by a Verizon authorized dealer today, not even an actual Verizon store and they had a Storm floating around.

Apparently they had received a few in today and had a waiting list with about 40+ people on it...

Sales guy: "Were you looking to purchase a Storm?"
    Me: "Ehhh Im currently on TMobile and am deciding between the Storm or the Bold"
    Sales guy: "oh you arent a Verizon customer but looking to switch? What kind of monthly plan would you be interested in?"
    Me: "Probably the 100.00 a month unlimited one"
    Sales dude: *perks up* "OH! you were interested in a new line with the UNLIMITED plan?"
    Me:"Sure but the Storms are sold out every where and I need to port my number soon so Im probably gonna go with the Bold. I mean, look at your waiting list, there must be 40 people on there"
    Sales dude: "well what would you say if I told you I could get you a Storm by tomorrow?"
    Me:
    Sales dude: "Lets just say since youre a new customer AND are looking at the unlimited plan, I can move you from number 44 on the list to number.....2. And have a Storm for you, in hand, by tomorrow."
    Me: "Wow....."
    Sales slime: "you will get "special" consideration"
    Me: "Okay well I will think about it, put my name on your list and let me know what you can do"

Fast forward 2 hours..... phone rings....voice mail....

Sales scumbag dude: "Hi its Ed from Verizon, worked a little magic and I will have your Storm tomorrow by 3pm, give me a call and we can set up an appointment to bring you in and get it set up."

WOW.....there was OVER 40 other people on that last, all of which Im sure REALLY want their Storm and are waiting.... and this dude just bumps them in order to get some extra commission...really not cool.

I mean, I have already pretty much decided on the Bold so this really doesnt matter much to me. I will call dude back tomorrow and tell him to give my Storm to the next person on the list, as thats who should get it anyway.

I just thought that was really lame, I mean I know cash is king and its all about $$$ but to be so obvious about it, I dunno. Left a bad taste in my mouth.
    11-23-08 04:54 PM
    Pronounced 'sh-aid-E'
    11-23-08 04:57 PM
    Pronounced 'sh-aid-E'
    right! exactly!

I just didnt think it was cool. not at all.
    11-23-08 04:58 PM
    Well, by the looks of your avatar, there could have been something besides cash on the redneck sales guy's mind...i'm just sayin....
    11-23-08 04:58 PM
    Heck she can have my phone.......lol
    11-23-08 04:59 PM
    Well, by the looks of your avatar, there could have been something besides cash on the redneck sales guy's mind...i'm just sayin....

Yea i was thinkin the same thing lol It is a luvly avatar
    11-23-08 05:02 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol yuup
    11-23-08 05:06 PM
    lmao.

Well, I did happen to have a shirt on today that fits similarly to the one Im wearing in my avatar..... and the dude was REALLY nice...so, maybe! haha!

No but, in all seriousness, I dont know the exact reason behind it but whatever it is, its still lame.

People have been waiting for their Storms! And deserve them! And I just waltz in on a Sunday after the release when people cant find the phone ANYWHERE and I can pick one up tomorrow??
    11-23-08 05:07 PM
    Hey SHEIS,...thanks for sharing that story.

I think you might have made the right decision for several reasons with thinking more seriously about the BOLD. I am using the BOLD now, after having had the Pearl, 8700, 8800 and a few CURVES and after getting used to it being a little wider than the CURVE, I love it. I have to tell you though, I am one of those who are waiting for tomorrow delivery of the STORM as 9th in line when they sold out ALL 6 in my area. It's just that I always have to try out all the latest and newest toyz. I have the iPhone too so I have a feeling after getting and receiving the Storm I just might be going back to old faithful, BOLD.
    Good Luck and thanks again for sharing.
    11-23-08 05:08 PM
    No problem, Milky

And I hope you love your Storm!
    11-23-08 05:10 PM
    lol i just thought of something curvey is probably going with the bold but she just became the most popular person on the storm board haha....picture is worth a thousand words lol
    11-23-08 05:15 PM
    That's how the world works when it comes to guys. If a girl comes in and wants something most guys will try for her attention, be it even briefly, and try to be the "good guy" by helping her out at the sacrifice of others. Men are lead by their penises.

On another note though, I hope you absolutely love your Bold if you do end up getting it. I just got mine the other day and was not convinced at first but by the second day... so happy I upgraded to it. It does everything I could ask a phone to do and not a single hiccup yet except for youtube. Enjoy it, you won't be dissatisfied.
    -Rik
    11-23-08 05:22 PM
    What was the problem with youtube? can't view embedded videos and have to view in mobile mode?

steve
    11-23-08 06:30 PM
    question of the day is... shady or not.. are you going to get it?.. hu hu

i'm back and forth from Atlantic City and Philly... i'm just going to wait my 5 to 7 days.. who knows.. they may come shipped with updated software!! i cant drive to random verizon stores every morning as i do have to work every now and then lol.

PS can i borrow you at a bar.. i'll send you to get drinks!! and a storm!
    11-23-08 06:37 PM
    Sounds like he is after more than just a sale to me..lol
    11-23-08 06:56 PM
    What was the problem with youtube? can't view embedded videos and have to view in mobile mode?

steve
    through mobile or not, wifi or not, youtube only plays a max of 30 seconds before it says connection lost (since i have a blackberry data plan I highly doubt connection was lost) and through wifi it says an error occured. Seems youtube and the bold phone itself have issues. Grr its my one problem with the phone. Other than that I love it.
    -Rik
    11-23-08 11:10 PM
    I sell cell phones. When we activate a new line with an unlimited plan . . we bank.

The rest of the people on the list were probably upgrades or he was unsure of the plan.

Plus . . what the previous posts have said. Avatar . . shirt . . hotness . . etc.
    11-23-08 11:15 PM
    what NJ store was this? we dont need the reps name, i would just be interested in the store location.
    11-23-08 11:19 PM
    which store was this in jersey?
    11-23-08 11:23 PM
    South Jersey. An authorized dealer in Berlin, near where the Berlin circle USED to be...
    Last edited by sheiscurvey; 11-23-08 at 11:38 PM.
    11-23-08 11:33 PM
    I sell cell phones. When we activate a new line with an unlimited plan . . we bank.
    Thats what I figured. He called me, like 2 times, and left voicemails stating he would have a Storm for me tomorrow. I called him back and told him if/when it gets there to give me a call.

Then he called AGAIN before the store closed, dont know why, he didnt leave a voicemail that time.

I did make it clear that I was leaning towards the Bold because of the shortage and I didnt feel like waiting. He must be REALLY hungry for the sale... Im guessing the unlimited plan= high commission
    11-23-08 11:38 PM
    Thats what I figured. He called me, like 2 times, and left voicemails stating he would have a Storm for me tomorrow. I called him back and told him if/when it gets there to give me a call.

Then he called AGAIN before the store closed, dont know why, he didnt leave a voicemail that time.

I did make it clear that I was leaning towards the Bold because of the shortage and I didnt feel like waiting. He must be REALLY hungry for the sale... Im guessing the unlimited plan= high commission
    Depending on the phone and which carrier and plan, I can make a minimum of about $30-50 bucks for the sale. Only goes up with features, service plans, etc.
    11-23-08 11:45 PM
    It's only because you are not a Verizon customer. I missed out on the Storm BARELY. The guy in front of me got the last one, yet there was a good 10 of them sitting right there were I could see them. The lady goes we are sold out I point and she says those are already paid for. I told her that I was told you couldn't Pre-order. She just looked at me and said would I like the order one from the warehouse. A few mins later a guy walks in and picks up his box and pays for it. Mind you he was using a Pearl on the AT&T network. New Customers = more money.
    11-23-08 11:45 PM
    i dont know about the xtra commision because of the plan angle.

i have worked for several other providers and good friends have worked for verizon corp and its always activations and upgrades. thats it.

now new activations are worth like 4 upgrades or something, so that may be why, but i dont think the plan or anything has anything to do with it. unless things have changed since i worked in the biz. but upgrades are worth less to the employees, i am betting 99% of the people on that list were upgrades, so thats why he gave you preference, not the plan.
    11-24-08 03:59 AM
    LOL. If you think he's the only one doin it and it's only a verizon thing then you're gravely mistaken. It's rare that a "favor" is actually a favor...normally the person on the other end is getting SOMETHING in return, otherwise it wouldn't be worth their time.
    11-24-08 04:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD