Aside from the undeveloped OS, i noticed that my old 8800 has the same battery (1400mah) as the storm, which is far more sophisticated, virtually in all aspects. The 8800 has a resolution of 320 x 240, while the storm has one of 360 x 480 pixels. Storm's screen is a lot larger, which drains the battery quicker. Plus, the touchscreen obviously takes a toll on the batter life also.

When I compared these phones side by side, I finally noticed that rim really ****ed up on this. How on Earth didn't anyone realize this? The only way this phone can get anywhere near 5 hours of it's promised talk-time is if it ran on (at least) a 1600mah battery, and even then I doubt it. If I find a 1800mah one, I'm buying if for sure.

I say the main flaw of this phone is the battery life. The os can be fixed.
    02-02-09 01:52 AM
    I say you have no clue what you're talking about. Number of pixels on a screen doesn't have all that much to do with it. Screen size does have a bit but its more about the backlight than anything. It could be that the storm is more effectively (read efficiently) backlit. It could also be that the Storm runs a tad dimmer and uses the same amount of current for its backlight.

The touch screen is quite minimal as far as current use.

You've got no real data about anything other than speculation. You probably don't even have a degree or have even measured currents in devices such as this. I've had quite good battery life on my phone. Some have great life some don't. I'd bet its 3rd party software related. But it could also be a quality issue on the batteries used.

Anyway until you can speak in actuality rather than speculation please don't.

Edit: For true transparency I don't work for RIM in any way shape or form. I do have 2 engineering degrees and do have the education to speak on these topics. I do own stock in RIM and do have a financial interest in RIM.
    02-02-09 02:00 AM
    Degrees? No, I'm still in university.

3rd party apps? Only the pre-installed ones.

As for common sense, I would say it'd be essential to have some when releasing such a sophisticated phone. Why wouldn't you put a longer lasting battery? The 8800 is now 2 years old and has the same power supply as the storm. It just makes no sense. The pixels and touch screen might not have a tremendous impact on the battery life alone, but they surely aren't the only two factors present either. When you add all the little things together, I think they have a significant impact.

In conclusion, my thread is titled as "my take..." - not "my solution/answer". This is my opinion and constructive criticism should never be taken to heart, even when speaking to a fan of the Storm (as my brain tells me most wouldn't be on crackberry unless they were fans of 'em.)
    02-02-09 02:09 AM
    I've also noted that OSes perform differently based on the process in which they were installed and what had gone on before. The content on the SD card has also been known to make a difference.

I'd bet the reason for the battery size is more defined by the physical size of the phone and the cost of the device. The biggest battery that Seidio could fit into that physical location was 1600mAh. I'm certain that this battery has a much higher DCOGS than the battery provided with the Storm.

The design team was probably given a fixed price in which they had to finish the product. I'd bet being that there are other devices in this same size class that RIM has released with WiFi that price is the reason why WiFi was omitted.

Still yet I think that claiming an entire design team (as well as the marketing team) "****ed up" on a completely uninformed and untested theory is quite rude.
    02-02-09 02:19 AM
    Well tell me then (if you have time) your phone specs, options, stats.

What os are you running? Backlight? any secrets you have that've helped you?

I just turn off the date when I'm not using it, though it defeats the purpose of really having live data transmission for emails.. backlight's at 10, gps is off, no apps. the phone is 3 days old, running the standard, stable .76.

Thanks in advance.
    02-02-09 02:26 AM
    There is a 1700Mah battery available for the Storm. Can't recall the brand.
    02-02-09 02:40 AM
    I can run my Storm for 15 hours straight with fairly regularly use and lose no more than 8-10% of my battery life. Sometimes it doesn't even use up 5%.
    02-02-09 02:51 AM
    As I mentioned before you may have a battery from a bad batch thats just not holding a charge as it should.

I'm running .99 now on my phone. I unplugged it at 10AM today (a little before 10 but for sake of argument close enough). I received about 20 emails, sent 10 or 15, got like 8 or 9 text messages (each with a reply to figure 16), I took several pictures (10 or 12 messing around), I took 2 videos (both about 20 or so seconds long), one of these videos I emailed, I sent a few picture messages, Made a few short phone calls, updated my netflix queue with a few movies via the web browser, read all the articles on thestreet.com's app, and finally did a small bit of playing with the GPS in BBMaps and did some searches in there. I've not turned the phone off other than to do a battery pull since I got the phone on November 21st. I've never replaced this phone either. I've kept the first one I got on day one since release.

With all that use its now 12:49AM the next day. I still have 36.8 MB of free app memory and the battery life is at 55%.

I have my backlight brightness set to 30 timeout to 20.
    Bluetooth is turned off.
    GPS is on as well as Location Aiding.
    Mobile network is set to 1XEV only.
    Event log is disabled. (actually I just checked this and it wasn't disabled but it is now).
    I run the funambol sync client and that syncs my contacts and calendar events ever 3 hours. (this is actually an even greater drain on the battery).
    thestreet.com is an auto updating program and so it also is a drain.
    I also run BBAlerts which is a program that must always run in the background.

I don't really see this as being much of a problem at all. As far as smart phones go these days this is pretty good battery life. I'd not want to trade form factor for more life in this phone.
    Last edited by bthoward; 02-02-09 at 02:56 AM.
    02-02-09 02:54 AM
    That's insane. I don't know what else to say.

I've also just disabled the event log.

Thanks for the info.
    02-02-09 03:23 AM
    how can you disable event log?
    02-02-09 08:20 AM
    Aside from the undeveloped OS, i noticed that my old 8800 has the same battery (1400mah) as the storm, which is far more sophisticated, virtually in all aspects. The 8800 has a resolution of 320 x 240, while the storm has one of 360 x 480 pixels. Storm's screen is a lot larger, which drains the battery quicker. Plus, the touchscreen obviously takes a toll on the batter life also.

When I compared these phones side by side, I finally noticed that rim really ****ed up on this. How on Earth didn't anyone realize this? The only way this phone can get anywhere near 5 hours of it's promised talk-time is if it ran on (at least) a 1600mah battery, and even then I doubt it. If I find a 1800mah one, I'm buying if for sure.

I say the main flaw of this phone is the battery life. The os can be fixed.
    I just updated to the new OS leak .99 and it seems to really improve battery life.. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I haven't charged it since 11am yesterday, and it has only lost 1 and a half bars... and I was using it quite regularly.
    02-02-09 08:25 AM
    how can you disable event log?
    Exactly how did you disable the event log? I know how to clear the log and to hide all the entries but thats not disabling the events are still there. I'm just curious to see how it was disabled.
    02-02-09 08:31 AM
    I just updated to the new OS leak .99 and it seems to really improve battery life.. Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I haven't charged it since 11am yesterday, and it has only lost 1 and a half bars... and I was using it quite regularly.
    That's good. I hope they do improve on battery life even more so.
    02-02-09 08:32 AM
    As I mentioned before you may have a battery from a bad batch thats just not holding a charge as it should.

I'm running .99 now on my phone. I unplugged it at 10AM today (a little before 10 but for sake of argument close enough). I received about 20 emails, sent 10 or 15, got like 8 or 9 text messages (each with a reply to figure 16), I took several pictures (10 or 12 messing around), I took 2 videos (both about 20 or so seconds long), one of these videos I emailed, I sent a few picture messages, Made a few short phone calls, updated my netflix queue with a few movies via the web browser, read all the articles on thestreet.com's app, and finally did a small bit of playing with the GPS in BBMaps and did some searches in there. I've not turned the phone off other than to do a battery pull since I got the phone on November 21st. I've never replaced this phone either. I've kept the first one I got on day one since release.

With all that use its now 12:49AM the next day. I still have 36.8 MB of free app memory and the battery life is at 55%.

Bluetooth is turned off.
    Event log is disabled. (actually I just checked this and it wasn't disabled but it is now).
    I run the funambol sync client and that syncs my contacts and calendar events ever 3 hours. (this is actually an even greater drain on the battery).

I don't really see this as being much of a problem at all. As far as smart phones go these days this is pretty good battery life. I'd not want to trade form factor for more life in this phone.
    How do you get such incredible battery life? I talk maybe 30 minutes/day, 15-20 emails/texts and use the browser. Only additional apps are WeatherBug, SoftReset, Tiltris and DopeWars. I usually have ~ 25% at the end of the day.
    02-02-09 08:37 AM
    Have had mine for 2 weeks and the battery will NOT last more than 24hrs with regular use. Really hoping the new OS alleviates this to some degree.
    02-14-09 10:36 AM
    Got my Storm on 2/9 last charged on Thursday evening - Moderate daily use (email, messaging, calls) and my battery icon is down 3 bars as of 10:50am today
    02-14-09 10:50 AM
    You probably need to get a different belt cliip. I was having problems with battery life, but with the Blackberry belt clips the magnetic field turns the phone "off" when not in use. It is still on but the screen is not on and it is like sleep mode. This has helped me tremendously. Battery still needs to be better but my phone pretty much last all day, and I use my phone for everything.
    03-01-09 10:53 AM
    ok here is the biggest problem

1.people do not turn down backlights and trun off gps when not using it as well as bluetooth. the phone is not being optimized the current os is not pushing this phone to its limits and since the storm is more sophisticated than the 8800 it uses the battery more efficiently.

2. buy a case that uses the sleep mode so when your not using it its not using battery i use my brower for about 4 hours a day and text all day but with it in ym case when not using it and ive done everything in 1. my life rarely drops below 50% by midnight starting my day at 8am. so i am happy with my battery.

3.most people do not let battery fully die before first charge and this often will hurt some of these newer batteries not always but it can.

4.the newer os's do optimize more of the battery because they are designed better.

i have seen so many people on here complaining of poor memory drain or battery loss and they have not taken the steps to optimize the phone. the storm is really not an out of the box phone its like a pc it takes some fine tuning. not saying anyone in this thread is guilty of this but there are a lot of people on here doing this.
    03-01-09 11:05 AM
    1. My brightness was at 10, for 10 seconds.

2. My case did put the phone to "sleep" mode.

3. I did let the battery die fully, to the point where it didn't even turn on (that's how heavy I drained it), then charged it for 10 hours.

4. The OS I was running the time I made this thread was .83? I think, or .80 (the latest one at the time).

I can bravely say that I have taken every single necessary step to maximize the battery life, which includes turning off bluetooth, and switching the phone to 1xev (instead of 1XEV), and the GPS was on 911 only, without location aiding. .

Sometime, when you think you know all the answers, you may be wrong, because that was a defective unit, and the current Storm I have, has been running for about 24 hours with pretty heavy usage and is still at 50 something percent.

Still, I would much rather spend an additional $50 on and get a 1600mAh OEM battery, or $100 and get a 1800mAh... Either way. I think this phone needs some work, even though I do love it and cannot stop playing with it.
    Last edited by paulDIAT; 03-01-09 at 12:56 PM.
    03-01-09 12:52 PM

Bluetooth is turned off.

wow! i want your storm!
    03-01-09 01:11 PM
    like i said wasnt saying you didnt do these things just said those are the biggest culprits. as i also said never said anyone in this thread wasnt doing this just saying what i saw so relax. i would recommend using a case with sleep mode eliminates unnecesary drain when not using the phone. and again wasnt criticizing you was just saying that has been my experience with biggest culprits so relax i never claimed to have all the answers just giving some advice.
    03-01-09 01:13 PM
    Got my Storm on 2/9 last charged on Thursday evening - Moderate daily use (email, messaging, calls) and my battery icon is down 3 bars as of 10:50am today
    thats insane! i send a couple text and make a couple calls and my battery is at 65%. can i go to verizon and get another battery covered by the warranty?
    03-01-09 01:14 PM
    its worth a shot id problably try to see what they say. worst case scenario they say no and your back where you are.
    03-01-09 01:19 PM
    like i said wasnt saying you didnt do these things just said those are the biggest culprits. as i also said never said anyone in this thread wasnt doing this just saying what i saw so relax. i would recommend using a case with sleep mode eliminates unnecesary drain when not using the phone. and again wasnt criticizing you was just saying that has been my experience with biggest culprits so relax i never claimed to have all the answers just giving some advice.
    I know, and I appreciate it - thanks.

I just haven't been feeling this "I know everything about BlackBerrys" attitude everyone's been having lately. My mistake.
    03-01-09 01:28 PM
    Seriously, the Storm has the best battery life of any device of this kind I've ever come across.

Currently I just don't understand the poor battery life complaints.
    03-01-09 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD