Since I first ordered the Otterbox, I have been looking for a way to keep from having to do battery pulls on my Storm... Yeah, haven't we all. Anyways, having to disassemble the otterbox can be frustrating when you have to do it in the middle of an already busy day.

Anyways, I have ran a week long experiment that has proven to be very effective at accomplishing exactly what I was wanting to do. No hard battery pulls. Below is a tutorial that I have compiled for anyone to use. This should prove to be very helpful to both Otterbox owners and those who don't like having to do hard battery pulls.

===========================

freebirds87's Guide to No Hard Pulls:

1) You are going to need to download QuickPull onto your device. Here's the OTA Link: http://go.mobihand.com/?op=dlmh&pd=22989&l=1&ps=102

2) You are going to need to start your memory cleaner. A lot of people use logmaid, I don't see a point in it, the Blackberry OS already has one installed. I use the Memory Cleaner provided in the OS.

To activate your memory cleaner, Click Options>Secruity Options>Memory Cleaner Now configure your options so that they are identical to the ones that I have shown below.

3) Now it's time to configure your Quickpull that you downloaded and installed onto your phone in step one. I have done a lot of testing on Quickpull, mainly the feature that allows you to schedule pulls. I obviously have my pulls scheduled for a time that I would not be using the phone. My time is 5:00am. Even on nights when I am out with friends, I know that 5:00am, I will be asleep. However, my concern was, "What if the phone locks up after the pull and doesn't complete its charge"? I am happy to say, that after 1 week of testing, I have had 0 errors. No freezing, no problems at all. (Way to go Quickpull!)

First, pick a time that you know you will not be using the phone. (For me it is 5:00am)

Second, Open quick pull and select the schedule option.

Now, you can put in your time and quickpull will restart your phone for you daily, at the time that you selected. This has not caused any problems for me while the phone was charging. So don't be afraid if you are like me and leave your phone on charge while you sleep.

You should not have to do any more physical battery pulls from now on. This should allow you to use the phone the way that you want to through out the day, with no worries of freezing. I have really loved my Storm since I started using this method. I have not had to take it out of the Otterbox, and I don't have to worry about apps freezing my phone while I am at work.
    =============================

Below is a picture of my App Memory after one full day of the phone being at work with me. This is about the same every day, minus or plus a few depending on usage.

I hope this method proves to be helpful and cuts down on having to take the battery out of your devices.

***EDIT***

For those of you who do not know how to disable compatibility mode for Quickpull - Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Highlight Quickpull>Press the menu button>Select Disable Compatibility Mode
    Last edited by freebirds87; 02-11-09 at 11:28 PM.
    02-10-09 12:10 PM
    Thanks a LOT
    02-10-09 12:23 PM
    No problem. Glad I could help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 12:48 PM
    very nice thanks.
    02-10-09 01:04 PM
    I would like to hear some feedback from people who use this method. Maybe let me know if you are still having problems with battery pulls, etc..
    02-10-09 02:14 PM
    This would be effective, except for the fact that every now and then on a reboot you'll get the VSOD in which you'll have to pull the battery to retry it.
    02-10-09 02:18 PM
    Looks like you aren't having the memory leak issues that some of us are having with .99.

I'll give this method a try. I had installed LogMaid but didn't feel like it was being very effective.
    02-10-09 02:19 PM
    I have 26mb and change left. I haven't used Quickpull in at least three days. I use Quickpull for the same reason you do my case makes a battery pull a major hassle. I find I don't need to use it daily, then again I'm not big into streaming music but otherwise I run most apps. I don't run memory cleaner other than manually clearing my browser to speed life up.

02-10-09 02:32 PM
    very helpful, just set my time to 5 AM as well, thanks a lot!
    02-10-09 02:36 PM
    anyone else having problems getting the ok button to press to accept the scheduled time?
    02-10-09 02:42 PM
    Not me. I just set mine.

I've had the sort of problem with applications before, and I've always just uninstalled them, restarted the phone, downloaded them again, and reinstalled. Seems to work.
    02-10-09 02:54 PM
    anyone else having problems getting the ok button to press to accept the scheduled time?
    I was. Disable compatibilty mode if you haven't:
    Options
    Security Options
    Application Permissions
    Highlight Quick Pull and hit the Blackberry button

I did this and was able to use it in landscape. Made it a lot easier.
    02-10-09 02:56 PM
    What if your phone is set to turn off at night automatically?
    Will this still run?
    02-10-09 03:20 PM
    I told logmaid top take a hike!

I'm on board with the freebirds!
    02-10-09 03:24 PM
    Golf clap for this one... Bravo

02-10-09 03:50 PM
    Turn off compatibility mode.
    02-10-09 04:30 PM
    If you have the phone in bedside mode with the clock, will it automatically return to that upon booting? (provided the phone is plugged in)
    02-10-09 04:37 PM
    good job thanks
    02-10-09 05:12 PM
    I was. Disable compatibilty mode if you haven't:
    Options
    Security Options
    Application Permissions
    Highlight Quick Pull and hit the Blackberry button

I did this and was able to use it in landscape. Made it a lot easier.
    worked like a charm
    02-10-09 05:20 PM
    If you have the phone in bedside mode with the clock, will it automatically return to that upon booting? (provided the phone is plugged in)
    I'd like to know the answer to that too.
    02-10-09 05:21 PM
    I ve been wooing this scienc day one. I also do a quickpull after an app install. It works great. This ia a very good tutorial.

02-10-09 05:40 PM
    Yes!!! This was a big part of my testing that I did. I use my phone as an alarm, and yes I do keep it in bedside mode, so I wanted to make sure that the phone would not have any errors as a result of Quickpull automatically reseting the phone.

I have had 0 errors so far. My alarm goes off in the morning like it is supposed to, and when I wake up the phone is in bedside mode, like nothing ever happend.

That's the great part about this method.

Set it and Forget it!!
    02-10-09 06:10 PM
    Since I first ordered the Otterbox, I have been looking for a way to keep from having to do battery pulls on my Storm... Yeah, haven't we all. Anyways, having to disassemble the otterbox can be frustrating when you have to do it in the middle of an already busy day.

Anyways, I have ran a week long experiment that has proven to be very effective at accomplishing exactly what I was wanting to do. No hard battery pulls. Below is a tutorial that I have compiled for anyone to use. This should prove to be very helpful to both Otterbox owners and those who don't like having to do hard battery pulls.

===========================

freebirds87's Guide to No Hard Pulls:

1) You are going to need to download QuickPull onto your device. Here's the OTA Link: http://go.mobihand.com/?op=dlmh&pd=22989&l=1&ps=102

2) You are going to need to start your memory cleaner. A lot of people use logmaid, I don't see a point in it, the Blackberry OS already has one installed. I use the Memory Cleaner provided in the OS.

To activate your memory cleaner, Click Options>Secruity Options>Memory Cleaner Now configure your options so that they are identical to the ones that I have shown below.

3) Now it's time to configure your Quickpull that you downloaded and installed onto your phone in step one. I have done a lot of testing on Quickpull, mainly the feature that allows you to schedule pulls. I obviously have my pulls scheduled for a time that I would not be using the phone. My time is 5:00am. Even on nights when I am out with friends, I know that 5:00am, I will be asleep. However, my concern was, "What if the phone locks up after the pull and doesn't complete its charge"? I am happy to say, that after 1 week of testing, I have had 0 errors. No freezing, no problems at all. (Way to go Quickpull!)

First, pick a time that you know you will not be using the phone. (For me it is 5:00am)

Second, Open quick pull and select the schedule option.

Now, you can put in your time and quickpull will restart your phone for you daily, at the time that you selected. This has not caused any problems for me while the phone was charging. So don't be afraid if you are like me and leave your phone on charge while you sleep.

You should not have to do any more physical battery pulls from now on. This should allow you to use the phone the way that you want to through out the day, with no worries of freezing. I have really loved my Storm since I started using this method. I have not had to take it out of the Otterbox, and I don't have to worry about apps freezing my phone while I am at work.
    =============================

Below is a picture of my App Memory after one full day of the phone being at work with me. This is about the same every day, minus or plus a few depending on usage.

I hope this method proves to be helpful and cuts down on having to take the battery out of your devices.
    Hey freebirds87, excellent post. I too was using log maid, but not anymore! Just one quick question regarding the memory cleaning settings. Am I going to notice the icon on the home screen after Quickpull does its duty or should I be seeing one right away?

Thanks...And again great info!!!!
    02-10-09 06:48 PM
    That's pretty much what I have been doing for about 4 days now. My phone never froze though anyway. I just liked the thought of a good reboot once a day.
    02-10-09 06:58 PM
    Where do I get quickpull???? Sounds great.....
    02-10-09 07:32 PM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD