Okay, so I have the BlackBerry Storm 9530 and it simply won't charge! I lost my USB cable, so I'm attempting to charge it with my wall charger. It say it's supposedly charging because it was the lightning bolt over the battery icon, but it's not charging. I plugged it in last night, and checked on it around 3:30 this afternoon. It's not dead, it's just not charging whatsoever. My phone battery is currently so low that my radio (mobile network) is off so I can't call or text anyone. PLEASE HELP ME!
    04-27-10 04:05 PM
    I had this problem once with my 9530 when I had it. You will probably have to take it in I hate to say. The micro usb port was damaged just from normal wear and tear. :0(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-10 04:11 PM
    If you haven't already, I'd try pulling the battery out, leaving it out for 5 minutes, replace it and try to charge again.
    04-27-10 04:12 PM
    One other thing, I know it sounds crazy. Put the battery in the freezer for a couple of hours, then back into the phone and try the charge again. That's the battery NOT the phone with the battery in it, lol!

It works.
    04-27-10 04:15 PM
    Grey- Yes, I have tried that. Sadly, it didn't work.

dkingsf- Thanks for the idea! I'll try it out! (:
    04-27-10 04:42 PM
    Is your device hot? Because when mines gets hot it suspends charging until it cools Down

04-27-10 05:19 PM
    Is your device hot? Because when mines gets hot it suspends charging until it cools Down

This is true also. I have had this happen a few times. Usually just with my car charger tho

04-27-10 05:51 PM
    Nahh, it doesn't get hot. It just doesn't charge.! ):
    04-27-10 07:20 PM
    I think you just need a new battery. If you get the lightning bolt over the battery then its not your usb port. The battery is just not taking a charge IMO

04-27-10 08:33 PM
    There is a chance it is the charger too.

If it was charging normally using another charger (USB to computer, etc), and it all of a sudden won't charge with a different charger (wall plug), that almost makes me suspect the charger itself.

Do you know anyone else with a micro-USB Blackberry or phone (there are quite a few devices that now use this type of interface)? You could rule out the faulty charger pretty quickly. This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. He took the bad charger to the VZW store and they replaced it free of charge and hassle-free. If you don't know anyone, I'd take it to the store and just ask them to test it out there...
    04-27-10 08:33 PM
    Pete- yeah, it's charges fine when I connect it to my laptop or computer. It just won't charge when I plug it into the wall. Since I lost my USB charger, and my wall on won't work, should I just go out and buy a new USB charger?
    04-27-10 08:37 PM
    Pete- yeah, it's charges fine when I connect it to my laptop or computer. It just won't charge when I plug it into the wall. Since I lost my USB charger, and my wall on won't work, should I just go out and buy a new USB charger?
    I'd try to rule it out before laying down extra money for a new one (in the off chance it was something else), but yeah, that's probably what I'd do...and if that's the case, it does sound like the charger is the point of failure.
    04-27-10 08:45 PM
    Pete- haha, okay. they're like $30, right?
    04-27-10 08:48 PM
    Yep, reading all the responses, you can narrow it down to "just" three things (sorry, but it is a bit funny, though I know, absolutely frustrating. The first would be to see if it's the battery itself. They do go bad. The "Freezer" thing is not something I believe in, but hey, you tried it and, no surprise, it did not work. You could just go to your local store and buy a new battery. Personally, I always have two batteries, one is a spare in a wall charging unit and the other is in the phone that I either charge from the USB port or from the supplied wall charger. Your cheapest option is to try a new battery, first. Is the unit still under warranty (phone, not the battery)? If so, and a new battery doesn't work, then you can send the phone in for repair. I'd also try buying a new, USB cable so you can test that method out (you'll want one anyway for synching and updating, as well as charging). Buy one at Target or WalMart or something so that you can return it if it makes no difference and you don't want to keep it.

I know there are knock off batteries for sale on EBay, but, as they say "Caveat Emptor" (buyer beware). Some have had great success with these knock offs and others have had bad experiences (including one guy who said his device caught on fire from it). Personally, I only buy OEM batteries.

UPDATE: ****, just caught your post that says it charges from your USB/Computer. Battery is fine, your wall charger is shot. We're talking a couple of bucks to buy a new cable...why are you even here posting/asking/pleading when that's all it is?
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 04-27-10 at 08:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE: ALREADY ANSWERED
    04-27-10 08:50 PM
    THIRTY BUCKS? Are you crazy? Try THREE DOLLARS! (Ten if you want OEM)
    Amazon.com: micro-usb cable

Pete- haha, okay. they're like $30, right?
    04-27-10 08:52 PM
    THIRTY BUCKS? Are you crazy? Try THREE DOLLARS! (Ten if you want OEM)
    Amazon.com: micro-usb cable
    Well, if you need one now, buying online may not be an option, but yeah, should be a bit less than $30.
    04-27-10 09:28 PM
    Tell you what, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll sell you as many micro USB cables as you want for $25 each plus a couple bucks shipping.

04-27-10 11:54 PM
    Only a "couple bucks for shipping?" At just $25.00 each, what a guy! I'll do it for $24.99 and only $1.98 shipping, lol.

Seriously though, I'm puzzled as the reason for the OP's post in the first place. You freak when your wall charger stops working, but admit that it charges on USB/computer, only the USB cord is lost. So, the answers seem obvious. Get a new wall charger (and that can be tested with a simple meter to begin with) and/or buy a new USB cable? Is there another option? LOL.

Tell you what, since I'm such a nice guy, I'll sell you as many micro USB cables as you want for $25 each plus a couple bucks shipping.

04-28-10 01:55 AM
    EnergyPlus- haha, i'm sorry. i just wanted to make sure there's nothing wrong with my phone..since it won't charge with the wall plug (and it's new) but it will charge with my USB cord. But whatever, I'll go out and buy a new USB cord.
    04-28-10 04:27 PM
    Okay, so I have the BlackBerry Storm 9530 and it simply won't charge! I lost my USB cable, so I'm attempting to charge it with my wall charger. It say it's supposedly charging because it was the lightning bolt over the battery icon, but it's not charging. I plugged it in last night, and checked on it around 3:30 this afternoon. It's not dead, it's just not charging whatsoever. My phone battery is currently so low that my radio (mobile network) is off so I can't call or text anyone. PLEASE HELP ME!
    POSSIBLE REAL SOLUTION:

PROBLEM:

I was having a similar issue where my blackberry storm wasn't charging properly. At first it would show that it was charging but would eventually "charge itself to death" overnight. I would have to watch it to make sure that when the battery was fully charged, I disconnected the phone. Otherwise the battery would drain itself while plugged in. (on either wall charger, usb).

Then I started to have the problem where it would charge and then intermittently stop charging. If I pulled the cord and reinserted it, it would start again. It became so bad that the battery would not receive any charge at all.

I suspected it might be a virus on my blackberry, so on a borrowed battery, I wiped the phone and the SD card, but it was still not good. I then suspected that it might be a bad battery (even though it could hold a full charge) and replaced it to no avail.

I left the phone for a month but the old loaner I was using was giving me problems and I didn't want to have to buy a new one. So finally I decided to ignore all of the useless advice on the forums (some of it ridiculous) and analyze what the problem could be. I knew that the phone was getting power because the red light would come on (even if for just a few seconds). The pins looked ok and the battery connections were clean, but I knew this had to be a hardware issue and that the battery was good (because it was new and worked until my phone killed it) ...

I already knew that these phones had a problem where the screws were overtightened at the factory (causing the loose screen click problem), so I went to Youtube to learn how to take it apart and did so. What I was thinking was that perhaps the spring mechanism that keeps the battery leads pressed against the battery was faulty and not making contact with the phone's circuitry. I thought I might be able to pull it apart, but unfortunately this spring mechanism is sealed and not serviceable so I gave up and put it together but without replacing the two center screws on either side of the battery.

(SOLUTION)...

Miraculously this fixed the problem because the phone started to charge properly. What I think was happening was that the screws were tight enough that they were compressing on the spring mechanism and not letting the internal springs move freely. Alternately it might have been that dust collected in the mechanism and was preventing good contact and by having tapped the mechanism it dislodged the dust. Either way by taking the phone apart, tapping the spring mechanism and leaving the two center screws out you might be able to get the phone to charge again. It might not work on everyone's phone, but it did for mine.

NOTE: Charging the battery afterwards takes a bit of patience. Turn on your computer and run the latest version of Blackberry desktop before reconnecting the phone. When you plug the phone in it may show the red light briefly and shut off several times but eventually you will see a white screen with a lightning bolt. This will stay on until the battery has enough charge to boot. Then the phone will shut off and start to reboot. On your computer you should have gotten an error saying that the phone could not connect and giving you options. Choose to update. If you get an error saying that it cannot access JVM loader, wait for the phone to boot. It may reboot several times during the update procedure, but hopefully it will charge properly for you from now on.

NOTE: My Storm is unlocked, but after the update I can no longer manually choose GSM networks. I can still use At&t so I'm pretty sure it's still unlocked, but I can't choose towers anymore.
    10-11-10 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD