I have never had what is considered a "good" phone, let alone what is known as a "Smartphone." I hadn't really followed mobile phones until recently when I did my research on what phone to get.

I picked up my Storm at 7AM on Friday along with only about 15 others waiting in line. Since it was my first Blackberry, it was a little hard at first, but I spent some time with it and I was absolutely loving it. I love the touch screen, the features and all. There was only a couple problems I had with it, but I assumed it was just cause I wasn't knowledgeable enough to get around these problems.

So my second day having it, I brought it to work. I am just finishing up college, and I work at Blockbuster due to my obsession with films. The night before, I left my phone in my car due to me being scared I would break it. After constant suggestions from my girlfriend to not leave it there, I brought it in tonight. I left it in the back room. We were about 5 minutes from being out of there so I grabbed my phone and put it in my pocket. As I am walking out, I notice a cart that needs to be pushed to the back. As I am pushing it, my left leg slightly brushed up against a sharp edge of the cart. It didn't hurt and it wasn't very hard, so I didn't think much of it but I figured I should pull out my baby just in case. I wanted to scream. The top left part of the screen looked like a car window does when somebody throws a rock through it. The touch screen only works sometimes and definitely not near where it happened. The whole drive home I was screaming obscenities to myself. I wanted to cry.

I have a few questions for you guys. Will I get a new Storm? I pay monthly for insurance for my plan at Verizon. It hasn't even been three days since I bought this thing. Due to the shortage of Storm's, how long do you believe this process will take. What is this I hear about 12/5 and 12/15? Also, I did purchase the clear screen protectors but I did not put it on yet. Would this have prevented this accident? Do you guys think this big bad new phone's durability is going to be an issue?

This is my first post on these forums so I don't know what it is like here, but if you are going to respond with something similar to "You are just an ***** for this to happen....." ect... Please save your time. I know it wasn't the smartest thing in the world for me to do but it is what it is. Believe me, I have heartbroken but I have learned from it.
    11-23-08 02:11 AM
    you pay 50 dollars and ull get a brand new storm.
    11-23-08 02:15 AM
    just get a new one .. and yes with insurance u can .. but you wont get it until the 15th ish
    Good news and bad news...if you pay for insurance you'll get a new phone, and with the phone being brand spanking new it probably won't even be refurbished. Bad news, it's not going to be through Verizon, it'll be Asurion so it may be WELL after the 15th depending on the Asurion stock, they might even suggest a "comparable model" which isn't really possible I don't think.
    if you have insurance, can't u get a new one for free?
    11-23-08 02:17 AM
    The insurance requires a $50.00 deductible and you will get a new phone.

The screen protector would have done nothing.. you just probably hit it in a spot it couldn't take.. I'm sure most phones would have suffered the same fate if they were 80% screen
    I have never had what is considered a "good" phone, let alone what is known as a "Smartphone." I hadn't really followed mobile phones until recently when I did my research on what phone to get.

I picked up my Storm at 7AM on Friday along with only about 15 others waiting in line. Since it was my first Blackberry, it was a little hard at first, but I spent some time with it and I was absolutely loving it. I love the touch screen, the features and all. There was only a couple problems I had with it, but I assumed it was just cause I wasn't knowledgeable enough to get around these problems.

So my second day having it, I brought it to work. I am just finishing up college, and I work at Blockbuster due to my obsession with films. The night before, I left my phone in my car due to me being scared I would break it. After constant suggestions from my girlfriend to not leave it there, I brought it in tonight. I left it in the back room. We were about 5 minutes from being out of there so I grabbed my phone and put it in my pocket. As I am walking out, I notice a cart that needs to be pushed to the back. As I am pushing it, my left leg slightly brushed up against a sharp edge of the cart. It didn't hurt and it wasn't very hard, so I didn't think much of it but I figured I should pull out my baby just in case. I wanted to scream. The top left part of the screen looked like a car window does when somebody throws a rock through it. The touch screen only works sometimes and definitely not near where it happened. The whole drive home I was screaming obscenities to myself. I wanted to cry.

I have a few questions for you guys. Will I get a new Storm? I pay monthly for insurance for my plan at Verizon. It hasn't even been three days since I bought this thing. Due to the shortage of Storm's, how long do you believe this process will take. What is this I hear about 12/5 and 12/15? Also, I did purchase the clear screen protectors but I did not put it on yet. Would this have prevented this accident? Do you guys think this big bad new phone's durability is going to be an issue?

This is my first post on these forums so I don't know what it is like here, but if you are going to respond with something similar to "You are just an ***** for this to happen....." ect... Please save your time. I know it wasn't the smartest thing in the world for me to do but it is what it is. Believe me, I have heartbroken but I have learned from it.
    ouch man, i feel your pain...but in all honesty since it was physical damage so you must use your insurance to cover it. As long as you had insurance before you broke the screen, then you will be covered. You will just have to pay the $50...as for when you can get it, if the stores are really backed up till the 5th, then you probably won't get it until the 5th...good luck though
    It's all dependent on Asurion's stock. I've heard that sometimes in emergencies stores can do exception replacements but with the current situation on people wanting to buy it, you'd probably have a better chance building your own.
    11-23-08 02:20 AM
    Wow, I am amazed at all the responses so quick. Thanks guys.

I was actually surprised the morning I bought the phone how little people were there. It made me believe that the Verizon store I went to was heavily shopped. I will try my luck tomorrow, but its gonna seem like forever until the 5th if I am gonna have to go back to my old phone from this device.
    11-23-08 02:24 AM
    I would try calling RIM first, I know it is through Verizon for the insurance. however, i broke the trackball out of my pearl (not going to lie, was an ***** and i threw it when I was extremely upset) called them, told them the trackball had popped out, they sent me out a brand new one, no questions asked. Im sure if you called in, i don't know how you'd lie about that, but if you can think of something, they're more than happy to send out a new one as long as you send the old one back.

(**it may take a bit for them to get you one out, but it'd mean you might get it sooner/ get a new one no problems)
    11-23-08 02:24 AM
    i know after i bought my two year insurence for the phone, that my verizon rep told me that i cant make a claim for 30days.....idk why this was, but probably so i cant claim it stolen the next day, go back and get a new one and sell it online since people are looking for them
    11-23-08 03:16 AM
    i know after i bought my two year insurence for the phone, that my verizon rep told me that i cant make a claim for 30days.....idk why this was, but probably so i cant claim it stolen the next day, go back and get a new one and sell it online since people are looking for them
    Once you activate an insurance replacement the serial number on the old one is never good again.
    11-23-08 03:24 AM
    Don't quote me on this, but I believe Asurion's fine print also says something to the effect that if they don't have any stock of your particular model to offer as a replacement, they can offer you a different but "a like-kind make and model." Asurion may well try to give you a different Blackberry as a replacement if they don't have any Storms ready to go. You can argue with them that no other Blackberry is a like-kind compared to the Storm, but they probably won't cave easily.

I'm sorry to hear about the damage. At least it proves that the screen is glass, for all those naysayers :-P
    11-23-08 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD