01-23-09 03:46 PM
54 123
tools
    Over the weekend my 3 year old daughter must have decided that my storm was thirsty so she placed it neatly into a large glass of Diet Mt Dew and was totally submerged.. My wife retreived the phone and imeediately pulled the battery and memory card out... we left the phone for 36 hours on a heater vent to dry and didnt touch it.. I then replaced the battery and I cant tell anything happened to it as it still works great.. There is a red dot marker on the inside of the battery cover that indicates the phone has been wet but the stickers with the white lines (1 on battery and 1 on phone) are not affected... I had called verizon to begin a insurance claim but decided to not chance getting a bad phone as this one still works fine....
    12-22-08 01:41 PM
    Over the weekend my 3 year old daughter must have decided that my storm was thirsty so she placed it neatly into a large glass of Diet Mt Dew and was totally submerged.. My wife retreived the phone and imeediately pulled the battery and memory card out... we left the phone for 36 hours on a heater vent to dry and didnt touch it.. I then replaced the battery and I cant tell anything happened to it as it still works great.. There is a red dot marker on the inside of the battery cover that indicates the phone has been wet but the stickers with the white lines (1 on battery and 1 on phone) are not affected... I had called verizon to begin a insurance claim but decided to not chance getting a bad phone as this one still works fine....
    Good deal. Just keep an eye on it, as it could deteriorate over time since it has been wet.
    12-22-08 01:44 PM
    Wow... no issues?? That is amazing. My wife has "placed" a phone in a glass of captain and coke, as well as washed one in the washing machine. Each time big problems. If it is still working your lucky.
    12-22-08 01:47 PM
    i would be worried about the stickyness. but glad it still works.
    12-22-08 01:50 PM
    That'll teach you to drink Diet Dew.
    i hear putting the phone into an uncooked bowl of rice is supposed to help get rid of the moisture.
    i hear putting the phone into an uncooked bowl of rice is supposed to help get rid of the moisture.
    That really makes good sense actually.. I wish I had thought of it....

CX - Is there anything specific to watch for?

As for stickyness - it doesnt appear to have any issues thus far although I am certain the inside of this phone must show signs...
    12-22-08 01:54 PM
    Hope that continues. There is corrosion that can happen over time since it was wet, there could be areas on the circuits that may now be more prone to moisture.

I would make sure you do a continual back up of everything just in case you have to make a claim.
    12-22-08 01:55 PM
    Oh Yeah I forgot to add -

Wife had to pull the battery as i was runnning around like a ****** wanting to get ahold of the "sweet little girl of ours"...

Relax I didnt spank her but man I was upset!!! Then I realized I am the one who is at fault leaving it in a place it shouldnt have been (in her doll house kitchen) while we were playing...
    12-22-08 01:57 PM

...as i was runnning around like a ****** wanting to get ahold of the "sweet little girl of ours"...
    Thats some funny s**t...
    12-22-08 01:59 PM
    Then I realized I am the one who is at fault leaving it in a place it shouldnt have been (in her doll house kitchen) while we were playing...
    How true, the people who can't figure out how to use the storm need to come hang with my 4yr old. A few days back he had every app he could open and running. But hey he found a pic of mommy.
    12-22-08 02:02 PM
    Lesson learned - don't do the dew
    12-22-08 02:04 PM
    The problem with something like Dew or Coke, is the long-term effect this can have.

The sugar in the soda is hygroscopic...it pulls in moisture.

And the acid in the soda is corrosive.

I used to service commercial two-way radios (walkie-talkies) and soda always did the most damage. Water you can usually recover from; not so much with soda.

If you have the knowledge and ability to completely disassemble the unit and clean all of the soda out of it (rubbing alcohol or a dedicated electronics component cleaner), fully dry it, and reassemble it, that would be best.

If you have the chance now to replace it under warranty (or a damage claim)...I'd do it if I were you.

Not saying you WILL have problems down the line but, they're a lot more likely now.
    12-22-08 02:04 PM
    Yes the rice trick is amazing. I have done it it works great!
    12-22-08 02:06 PM
    So now the serious question -

Should I go ahead and make the claim or just wait untill I do start experiencing some issues???

Jbates - I may need to call your son sometime if thats ok....
    12-22-08 02:07 PM
    I'll probably get in trouble for suggesting this, but I would gently pull the moisture indicators, take the battery and SD/sim cards out, soak the phone in some distilled water for a few hours, then do the uncooked rice/heater trick. Then reinstall the stickers.
    12-22-08 02:08 PM
    I'll probably get in trouble for suggesting this, but I would gently pull the moisture indicators, take the battery and SD/sim cards out, soak the phone in some distilled water for a few hours, then do the uncooked rice/heater trick. Then reinstall the stickers.
    I am not opposed to doing this if it would work.. I also wouldnt mind filing a claim but am concerned about getting a dud phone or refurbished bad phone...
    12-22-08 02:11 PM
    Didn't you get the memo? You're supposed to keep those things chained up. See what happens?
    12-22-08 02:14 PM
    I am not opposed to doing this if it would work.. I also wouldnt mind filing a claim but am concerned about getting a dud phone or refurbished bad phone...
    It's not a matter of working, you have diet goo in every nook and cranny, (and connector) of the phone, the distilled water should get rid of it and the start of any corrosion.
    I did this to a razr that was run through a washing machine and got over a year of life out of it, if you have insurance, it's no big, 6 months or so when whatever goes, $50 and a replacement.
    12-22-08 02:18 PM
    So now the serious question -

Should I go ahead and make the claim or just wait untill I do start experiencing some issues???

Jbates - I may need to call your son sometime if thats ok....
    The water markers in the phone will void the warranty - I would suggest picking up insurance.
    12-22-08 02:21 PM
    Yes i already have insurance..

So I quess I will be giving my phone a bath tonight..... I will go ahead and make sure the water is warm as it will help get rid of the gooo and will probably feel good to the phone... I think I will video the event and post on youtube....

I wonder if I should back my info up prior to the bath - Just kidding I have a backup already......
    12-22-08 02:27 PM
    Yikes! Best of luck to you man.
    12-22-08 02:30 PM
    I wonder if I file a insurace claim if I will get a refurb or new one.. Are they getting refurbs one out now or not??
    12-22-08 02:34 PM
    If it's DIET soda, shouldn't sugar be a non-issue? Point taken about the acidity, though.
    12-22-08 02:43 PM
    12-22-08 02:50 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD