I bet the dew never got past the cover, otherwise those stickers would have all changed. I bent over and dropped an older phone in a pool spa and grabbed it back so quick the same thing happened as yours. I used it for a year more until I got my storm, JFYI
    12-22-08 02:53 PM
    Does your phone seem more alert and full of energy now?
    12-22-08 03:22 PM
    So now the serious question -

Should I go ahead and make the claim or just wait untill I do start experiencing some issues???

Jbates - I may need to call your son sometime if thats ok....
    I guess that depends how badly you want to spend 50$. If the phone is still working fine I wouldn't worry about it.
    12-22-08 03:25 PM
    But hey he found a pic of mommy.
    Utt ohh....

Thats why we use the "hide option"
    12-22-08 03:28 PM
    Glad your Storm is fine, for now *phew, close call!*

As others have said, the soda has the potential to damage your device further down the line than water. For now, your device may function properly... but I guess it does not hurt to continue using it until it goes completely dead. Then you could use your insurance claim. Either way, at some point you will probably end up using your device insurance.

So it is up to you whether or not you want to make your claim now or later on down the road. Good luck!
    12-22-08 03:28 PM
    My 2 cents-make a claim. There is a strong possiblitly that the phone will eventually take the delayed hit from the dunkin' in the dew. BTW, diet does not mean completely "sugarless." A less caloric sugar or an chemically artifical sugar is often used.
    12-22-08 03:35 PM
    I'm glad your Storm is fine, but through all this I have just one question for you...

DIET Dew?
    12-22-08 04:38 PM
    the phone has been out for a month and will all the ones that were returned to Verizon there is a good chance they are getting some refurbs in. there has to be someone on here that has had to file an insurance claim already. search and see if they got new ones or not.
    12-22-08 06:42 PM
    I'm glad your Storm is fine, but through all this I have just one question for you...

DIET Dew?
    Thats what I was thinking... EWWW lol
    12-22-08 06:53 PM
    i probably wait for a new color storm to be released to make the claim more worth it
    12-22-08 06:55 PM
    I use to work for IBM, repairing their line of electric typewriters(remember them?) including the Selectric, Executive, etc. One of the worst things that could happen to one was a spilled, sugar-filled drink. The keyboard and/or the keys could almost never be cleaned of the sugar, causing components to stick together. I can see the clicking screen being a problem along with the open connections.

Therefore, if it were me, I'd get a replacement Storm.
    12-22-08 07:55 PM
    Ya tha sux op! I had a razor and it spent slot of time in the water. Lol! It was in my pocket while wading in the river and after all of that it worked for a while!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 08:34 PM
    I spilled a full double illy espresso with sugar all over my old 8700g a few years back, it was a sticky mess. Pulled battery dried it and used it. Keys were sticky. Was on vacation, when I got home a week later disassembled the 8700g and was shocked at how much sticky goo/coffee was everywhere inside. Rinsed/cleaned everything with rubbing etoh and put it back together and it has been perfect ever since.
    12-22-08 08:49 PM
    If it's DIET soda, shouldn't sugar be a non-issue? Point taken about the acidity, though.
    When I wrote my post, I thought about that...and was wondering if someone was going to call me on the sugar-less thing.

My statements are generally true for any "soda-related" incidents with electronics.

And, while I don't think the distilled water idea is a bad one, when I had to clean out radios that had been soda'd, it took some pretty aggressive agitation to get that crap out.

It flows easily into every nook and cranny, then dries to a viscous goo.

I've seen some dis-assembly videos on YouTube...doesn't look that complicated. If you can get it apart to board-level...you could use and old toothbrush with that distilled water.

Just, whatever you do, make sure that sucker is TOTALLY dry before getting the battery anywhere near it!!

The rice trick is a good one. another thing that works well this time of year would be to set all of the parts on paper towels and put them over your friendly neighborhood radiator...putting out tons of dry heat right now.
    12-22-08 08:58 PM
    that's what set off three mile island

Wait - that was Pepsi
    12-22-08 08:58 PM
    The question is...does this fix the screen click problem??? :-)
    12-22-08 10:19 PM
    If I were you, i would file for a replacement, at this point, its very very unlikely that you would get a refurb....the longer you wait, the more a chance you have of not getting a new unit.
    12-22-08 10:23 PM
    Oh Yeah I forgot to add -

Wife had to pull the battery as i was runnning around like a ****** wanting to get ahold of the "sweet little girl of ours"...

Relax I didnt spank her but man I was upset!!! Then I realized I am the one who is at fault leaving it in a place it shouldnt have been (in her doll house kitchen) while we were playing...
    define "playing"
    what were you really doing? huh?
    I got 911 on speed dial FYI
    12-22-08 10:26 PM
    Ok I filed a claim today and they were not sure if it would be a new storm or a refurb one.. I was told that when the storm got here I would be able to send it back and would not count against me if I decided to keep the one I already have.. So if it is a refurb one with obvious problems or didnt work as good as the one I have then I could just send it back..

Question is - Will it be obvious its a refurnb one or how can I determine???
    12-23-08 11:45 AM
    I don't understand all the worry about a refurb or new phone...I doubt they will take someone's Dew dunked phone and wipe it off and give it to someone else. They don't want to create problems, they want to fix them. If they give you a problem you're just going to be back in their face for another phone. I can only imagine that the vast majority of "refurbished" phones are actually returns...and if they had a problem they were fixed.

Like I said, I don't get all the excitement on this subject but I will confess my bride is of the same thinking.
    12-23-08 11:58 AM
    I have had multiple replacement phones and they have been refurbs.

While yes, part of me cringes at first when I find it is a referb, I have never had an issue with a refurb.

I agree with the post above, not sure why ppl get heated over refurbs. (unless they are damaged when they get to you)...
    12-23-08 12:16 PM
    i've had vzw replace an asurion replacement with a brand new phone under the manufacturer's warranty..... technically i think asurion is supposed to handle them at this point, but you could probably be crafty and get them to do it.

But as far as determining referb or new......if you can't tell, who cares?
    12-23-08 05:14 PM
    I had my Storm on the table and someone dropped a little beer on top of it. I immediately got a napkin to dry it. And laid it it face down to ensure that any residual fluid was drained out and didnt damage the circuitry.
    The phone works fine. But now I have whats seems to be a dry residual pattern in between the glass touch screen and the gui that wont go away. I
    dont know what to do. It visually degrades everything even though it is only seen in the right upper most corner of the display. Its a big concern of mine any suggestions? HELP PLEASE!
    01-22-09 07:49 PM
    sticky. eww
    01-22-09 09:20 PM
    yeah, but does the OS now run quicker? Is it snappier? LOL
    01-22-09 10:39 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD