I was talking on my storm today.. I usually don't talk for long periods of time and my storm always gets mildly hot when I talk or when I charge.. but today I was on there for about 45 minutes and IT BURNED MY FACE!!

ummm.....is this NORMAL?!?! It can't be... right??

I called verizon they are going to send me a new battery....what?! A battery will fix the fact my storm got hot enough to burn me...seriously?

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO MY CONCERNED CRACKBERRIANS!

Verizon sent me a new battery, Fed-Ex Express.. go VZW! I put it in yesterday, and I have yet to make a 45 minute call, however I made 39 min 23 second call today, and not even luke warm! So, lets all calm down and wait for the next frivolous law suit to sweep through so we can peck them to death the best way we know how! By putting rude comments on there comical thread =P Thank you all for making the wait for my new battery and 1 day testing period go a bit quicker! Mod.. close-er up! hehe
    Last edited by carcora; 04-30-09 at 08:29 PM. Reason: IMPORTANT UPDATE
    04-28-09 01:52 AM
    I was talking on my storm today.. I usually don't talk for long periods of time and my storm always gets mildly hot when I talk or when I charge.. but today I was on there for about 45 minutes and IT BURNED MY FACE!!

I called verizon they are going to send me a new battery....what?! A battery will fix the fact my storm got hot enough to burn me...seriously?
    ya it may be the battery though thats causing the issue the only way to really tell is try one
    04-28-09 01:56 AM
    He asked did it get hot in the back.. and well, yes it did.. but the front of the phone is what burned face!! I hope that's what it is... but if its the phone.. maybe I'll get a Niagra!! hahaha yeah right... they'll just send me a freakin refubished storm...booo! =P
    04-28-09 01:59 AM
    You held it to your face for 45 minutes while it was burning you and didn't notice?
    04-28-09 02:03 AM
    You held it to your face for 45 minutes while it was burning you and didn't notice?
    i have to agree...If something is THAT hot, I'm going to notice!
    04-28-09 02:09 AM

If it left any type of mark. Sue the crap out of them. That would be easy money. And to be honest I think a lot of storm owners would enjoy seeing RIM get sued (or verizon, whoever it would be).
    04-28-09 02:12 AM
    Uh oh, watch out RIM/VZW, I smell another McDonalds hot coffee scam coming on!!
    04-28-09 02:14 AM
    No! I was on the phone for 45 minutes. I was holding it away from my face ( b/c I always mute it.. even with my stormlock!!) and i went to type something on my computer and I was like "wow that's oddly warm" then a few seconds later I was like "UH NO THATS FREAKIN HOT!" BTW... the verizon guy was completely unconcerned about my face.. didn't even ask me if i was okay... he was more concerned about the blackberry!

My sister used to work for Helio as a CSR... she said she got a phone call from a girl who got a 3rd degree burn from one of their devices, and heard of another one that caught on FIRE...now they told you not to call it a phone.. I guess that's the result you get when you do! LOL
    04-28-09 02:15 AM

Hmmm me thinks you need a bluetooth headset. I mean after all I would find it hard to stick a phone to my ear for 45mins my arm would get tired, lol.
    04-28-09 02:18 AM
    Sorry to hear but was it like a serious burn? Like 3rd degree?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 02:18 AM
    You didn't happen to download that new Flamethrower app did you?? I set my cat on fire by accident. Wasted a full beer putting him out.
    04-28-09 02:21 AM
    Can you post a picture of the burn on your face? That's quite odd so I'm a little curious as to what kind of burn you got from the phone.
    04-28-09 02:21 AM
    No! I was on the phone for 45 minutes. I was holding it away from my face ( b/c I always mute it.. even with my stormlock!!) and i went to type something on my computer and I was like "wow that's oddly warm" then a few seconds later I was like "UH NO THATS FREAKIN HOT!" BTW... the verizon guy was completely unconcerned about my face.. didn't even ask me if i was okay... he was more concerned about the blackberry!

My sister used to work for Helio as a CSR... she said she got a phone call from a girl who got a 3rd degree burn from one of their devices, and heard of another one that caught on FIRE...now they told you not to call it a phone.. I guess that's the result you get when you do! LOL
    seriously sue them, if you are in california (or new york) and need a lawyer, i have a couple in my family, send me a pm.

free blackberry's for life!!!!
    or other things that you can buy with lots of money.
    04-28-09 02:23 AM
    No.. but it still is bothersome.. but I don't see any marks... this is why i don't use a curling iron! maybe I could use my storm to straighten my hair... instead of suing I could make a new ad campaign! And yeah i'd love to be the girl who sues RIM... but I just have no motivation! Took me 30 min of still feeling the heat on my face to call verizon and complain!
    04-28-09 02:23 AM
    You didn't happen to download that new Flamethrower app did you?? I set my cat on fire by accident. Wasted a full beer putting him out.
    OMGSH you know.. I think that's what it was!! I love people with a good sense of humor!
    04-28-09 02:25 AM
    Can you post a picture of the burn on your face? That's quite odd so I'm a little curious as to what kind of burn you got from the phone.
    If something shows up in the morning.. i'll post it..but i imagine if it does.. it will be a 2x3.5 rectangle... or the likes there of! but hey... you never know.. it could be in the shape of abraham lincoln... and that is bound to at least get me a few photos surfing around the web... my 15min.. i can smell it now! or perhaps thats burnt flesh...
    04-28-09 02:28 AM
    OMGSH you know.. I think that's what it was!! I love people with a good sense of humor!
    haha, hope it helps sooth the burn!
    04-28-09 02:28 AM
    seriously sue them, if you are in california (or new york) and need a lawyer, i have a couple in my family, send me a pm.

free blackberry's for life!!!!
    or other things that you can buy with lots of money.
    we are actually getting stationed in cali pretty soon! or that's what they say... oh i love the army for never writing anything in stone...
    04-28-09 02:29 AM
    No.. but it still is bothersome.. but I don't see any marks... this is why i don't use a curling iron! maybe I could use my storm to straighten my hair... instead of suing I could make a new ad campaign! And yeah i'd love to be the girl who sues RIM... but I just have no motivation! Took me 30 min of still feeling the heat on my face to call verizon and complain!
    If there are no marks on your face, then it didn't burn you, was just uncomfortably warm. Yes, that's a concern because it can damage the internal components of the storm, but it isn't a safety issue. If after 45 minutes the phone wasn't hot enough to leave a mark, its not getting any hotter no matter how much longer you talked. It is normal for some heat to be generated while using the phone or charging it...that is when the most power is going through the battery, which always generates heat as a by-product.

It is most likely that you had your hand cupped over the battery cover on the phone. The battery cover is metal specifically to allow heat to escape the battery...it needs air circulating over it to do this. If your hand was keeping the air from circulating, then the only other place the heat has to go it out through the screen...that is bad for the components, so don't cup your hand over the battery cover.
    04-28-09 02:30 AM
    we are actually getting stationed in cali pretty soon! or that's what they say... oh i love the army for never writing anything in stone...
    Don't get burned in Cali. Been known to get hot there too!!
    04-28-09 02:33 AM
    If there are no marks on your face, then it didn't burn you, was just uncomfortably warm. Yes, that's a concern because it can damage the internal components of the storm, but it isn't a safety issue. If after 45 minutes the phone wasn't hot enough to leave a mark, its not getting any hotter no matter how much longer you talked. It is normal for some heat to be generated while using the phone or charging it...that is when the most power is going through the battery, which always generates heat as a by-product.

It is most likely that you had your hand cupped over the battery cover on the phone. The battery cover is metal specifically to allow heat to escape the battery...it needs air circulating over it to do this. If your hand was keeping the air from circulating, then the only other place the heat has to go it out through the screen...that is bad for the components, so don't cup your hand over the battery cover.
    actually i never cup the battery b/c it does get slightly warm... and it sat there for a second or two before i moved it... i understand a stove eye will 3rd degree burn you after that (happened to my other sister) but if you were to touch say something that just came out of the oven then there probably wouldn't be a mark after 12 hours... but red and uncomfortable at first! which is what it was... and still uncomfortable.. which it is... and btw... thank you for your 2 cents.. its much appreciated... i'm glad i gave you a soapbox for a bit =]

I LOVE MY CRACKBERRIANS... YOU GUYS ROCK!
    04-28-09 02:35 AM
    Well, if you ACTUALLY put the cat out.......you didn't WASTE the beer. You didn't necessarily use it wisely, but you did do something useful with it! LOL!
    Last edited by stvnlo80; 04-28-09 at 02:43 AM.
    04-28-09 02:36 AM

Nice post, very nice!
    04-28-09 02:38 AM
    Don't get burned in Cali. Been known to get hot there too!!
    YOU AREN'T KIDDING! They said Monterey... and i'm like HECK YEAH!!! But then my husband called from basic and was like no honey... ft irwin... WHICH IS THE FREAKIN MOJAVE DESERT!!! lol... this storm won't have anything on the desert when it comes to my poor little irish skin! =[ but it helps that i am half native american, which means, even though i do get red... it quickly turns into tan.. but then my irish side kicks it and it all wears off again!! OH poo!
    04-28-09 02:39 AM

FAIL!

lol I had to.. its actually my favorite post!
    04-28-09 02:40 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD