First, I an not a new BB user and I'm not a "look at me and my storm thread" person. Yes, i groan everytime i see yet another "i hate the storm" or "should i get a storm thread." that all being said, let's begin.

i have seen tons of people posting about battery life and i thought i would use a road trip to test some ideas. First i have heard the battery life plain sucks; next i have heard a multitude of other reasons why it sucks from weatherbug to GPS to signal strength. here is my storm.

brand new, got it 1 week ago ( a replacement) and have verizon .75 on it. its the 19-whatever model under the battery.

I have only weatherbug installed and have GPS set to location on and location aiding OFF. nothing ese has been changed. just a plain old storm.

here is the story, i live in a fringe area, meaning i live where there is poor signal 90% of the time. i make it through a day no problem on my storm, getting a tons of work emails, gmails, BB messenging the wife and texting friends. also about 2 hours worth of phone calls. so - remember, 1 day of life in a fringe area.

now, today i am on my second day in Boise idaho, with great signal and here is whats going on. my storm was unplugged Saturday morning at 9am, and as i write this it is sunday at 11:50 am.. so 26 hours later, i have 35% atill remaining. i left my charger at home on purpose to see how my phone wouold do. i DO NOT use auto off and my phone has been used for weatherbug, internet browsing (whatelse am i supposed to do on the can when on vacation lol) and phone calls and texting.

again - battery life has been fine in a strong signal area. i have 35% left after 26 hours of normal use. so please people stop saying battery life sucks.
    12-14-08 12:52 PM
    excellent post!

I can totally relate to what you're saying. Many people complain about battery life because they came from inferior phones (non-PDA type) whose battery life would naturally be much better.

But still, they have no idea what it means to have ****ty battery life. I came from an iPhone and I couldn't believe how VERY LONG the battery lasts on the Storm. The iPhone 3G drains the battery in MINUTES.

Read through my previous posts when I reviewed the iPhone. I had my iPhone replaced twice (for other reasons) and each time the battery life was the same.

A little off topic, but I went to Mexico recently (Cabo san lucas) and I brought my iPhone along. On the plane (only a 3.5 hour flight from Chicago) I started watching podcasts. The battery was nearly 80% gone after only 1.5 hours of use. I couldn't f**king believe it!

I've converted and played many different clips and movies on the Storm already. Coming from an iPhone, I can tell you 100% guaranteed that my Storm's battery lasts AT LEAST three times longer than the battery on the iphone.

And before anybody asks, both phones had brightness set to exactly 50%.

Verdict: THE BATTERY ON THE STORM IS GOD.

/thread
    Last edited by s54; 12-14-08 at 01:10 PM.
    12-14-08 01:07 PM
    Great post! I couldn't agree more. I have had phones that have better battery life but didn't use them for half of what I do with my bb's.

It is nice to see a non storm bashing thread.
    12-14-08 01:24 PM
    Hear hear. I was worried about battery life the first couple of days when I was really running the system through the paces, but after a few days of regular charging and settling into a pattern of regular use, battery life is great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 01:25 PM
    Battery is great but there are some programs that don't agree with some phones for some reason or another. I was getting decent battery life but I had the Weatherbug app installed. Since taking it off yesterday it has been a lot better. I am usually on my phone a lot so I didn't realize it but yesterday I maybe got 2 emails and txt about 20 times and lost 20% battery life in 5 hours. Today with weatherbug uninstalled I am at 3 hours same stats from yesterday and still at 100%. To each his own I guess
    12-14-08 01:33 PM
    I live in Pittsburgh and the phone wont even make it through the night in bedside mode with a full charge. I am on my second battery. Any suggestions?
    12-14-08 01:40 PM
    Good post. Battery life is going to be different for everyone. I like my apps and my GPS. For me - carrying a car and a wall charger when I'm away is a small price to pay to have 24/7 access to everything I enjoy on my berry.
    12-14-08 01:41 PM
    Location aiding... is that aGPS?

so pretty much if you dont use VZ navi best to disable it?
    12-14-08 01:42 PM
    Also, today I unplugged from a full night of charging at 8am. I've made no phone calls and sent 2 emails. Its 2:40pm and I have 20% battery remaining.
    12-14-08 01:42 PM
    Also, today I unplugged from a full night of charging at 8am. I've made no phone calls and sent 2 emails. Its 2:40pm and I have 20% battery remaining.
    Something is definitely wrong there!
    12-14-08 01:43 PM
    Check if you have Apps running in the background? What apps do you have installed?

You either have a defective battery or are leaving way to many apps running in the background.
    12-14-08 01:44 PM
    I've read in a few different places that people are getting really good batter life, but I'm concerned because I'm nowhere near that.

Right now, with mild email, browsing, and google maps use, I'm not even making it from the morning till the mid-afternoon (9am-3pm).

I'm having to charge up all the time throughout the day.

The Blackberry Curve I had before this would make it 2 full days with solid use, and a fully day with really really heavy use.

All I'd like to do is only have to charge it at night with reasonable use, so I don't think my expectations are off.

I also experienced some issues with the phone dying over night while plugged in, and then I couldn't start the phone next morning without a battery pull.

Any ideas? Should I return it for another unit? Otherwise I'm really happy with the phone!
    12-14-08 01:55 PM
    Check if you have Apps running in the background? What apps do you have installed?

You either have a defective battery or are leaving way to many apps running in the background.
    Since my last post my battery life dropped 5% more. Nothing done on the phone in that time.

Apps Running - Messenger, App Center, Home Screen , Browser, Phone, Messages

Apps Installed - Garmin, Slydial, ScanR
    12-14-08 02:05 PM
    awilson18,

I would go to the store where you bought the phone, or if you ordered online or over the phone call up CS and request a new battery. Your battery has to be defective.
    12-14-08 02:07 PM
    awilson18,

I would go to the store where you bought the phone, or if you ordered online or over the phone call up CS and request a new battery. Your battery has to be defective.
    Its my second battery already!!!
    12-14-08 02:09 PM
    Dropped another 5% since last post...dreadful!!!
    12-14-08 02:10 PM
    1400maH battery? I read that some people were getting 1380 and those were really defective...

If not then I would go and explain your situation and maybe try a new phone. You have one unique problem..
    12-14-08 02:10 PM
    took the phone of the cradle at 1300h. texting non stop for the last 2 hours im down to 80%.

apps running are:

application center ... cant seem to turn this one off
    browser... same as above
    home screen
    phone

my battery is a 1400 mah
    Last edited by boravr6; 12-14-08 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added battery
    12-14-08 02:11 PM
    1400maH battery? I read that some people were getting 1380 and those were really defective...

If not then I would go and explain your situation and maybe try a new phone. You have one unique problem..
    Its the 1400maH battery.
    12-14-08 02:12 PM
    Ive loved my battery life... i cant wait for the extended batteries to be out either
    12-14-08 02:22 PM
    THose of you reporting quick battery drain..

Have you turned your screen brightness down? I turned mine down to 30% and honestly.. I feel like this level is about the same as 100% on any other phone!

It sure helps save on the battery too..
    12-14-08 02:39 PM
    Dropped another 5% since last post...dreadful!!!
    Just a guess(of course!) but it sounds like your Storm has a short to ground
    12-14-08 03:39 PM
    also, I don't know how many of you realize that having a bright background (wallpaper) could absolutely cause your battery to drain much faster than it would otherwise.

Choose a wallpaper will little to no brightness.
    12-14-08 03:55 PM

I set my fade to 10 second and the brightness turned way down. Heavy use since last charge and its taken 3 days to low

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 04:41 PM
    I charged up my phone last night before work. Sent/recieved about 20 texts, made probably 2 phone calls. By the time I left work I had about 70% battery left. Didn't use my phone the rest of the night, woke up this morning and my battery was dead. What the ****? I have no open applications, backlight dim is at 10 seconds, backlight is at 10...I don't know what else to do, but it's kinda ridiculous.
    12-14-08 05:14 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD