ok, i can't really decide which phone I should keep. the original one that I have is made in canada, it gave me a bunch of problem last week before I called VZW to get replacement. Now all of sudden my phone (.85) is running completely fine in the last 5-6 days, no battery pull, no weird thing going on, battery life seems reasonable as well. Yesterday I got the replacement, but it's made in mexico w/ .75 OS obviously, should I keep it ? I can't really compare it side-by-side, the replacement came without anything, just a box w/ new phone in it, NOT even a battery. I tried last night playing around with the batter from my original one, seems OK, a little bit slower when on the startup, no Facebook, no msn, no Flickr installed, nothing.

From what I've been reading around here, seems like made in mexico one been giving you guys more problem than the one made in canada ? am I correct ? If I decided to activate the replacement one, can I go back to the old one (made in canada) if I don't like the replacement (made in mexico) ?

thx
    02-05-09 09:06 AM
    i'd say if your old one is working ok to send the replacement back. or try loading the newest os on the new one and see how it responds. how long do you have to send it back ?
    02-05-09 09:07 AM
    If the phone works for you then why does it matter where the heck it was built?

If you're antsy then activate it and try it for 2 days before you ship back the original and if it's worse then complain and get a third one and use the original in the interim.

Seriously though, this whole made-in-mexico vs. made-in-canada thing really has no substance whatsoever. Really.
    02-05-09 09:08 AM
    People seem so obsessed over where it is made. Quite humorous to me. I have a Mexican Storm that has worked fine.
    I would keep your phone that you have if it is working fine. Keep the other phone for a week or so to see if you start experiencing any more problems and if so then switch your phone. If no more problems then send back the replacement phone.
    It sounds like it is a software glitch rather than a hardware problem in my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 09:15 AM
    If the phone works for you then why does it matter where the heck it was built?

If you're antsy then activate it and try it for 2 days before you ship back the original and if it's worse then complain and get a third one and use the original in the interim.

Seriously though, this whole made-in-mexico vs. made-in-canada thing really has no substance whatsoever. Really.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Forget where the phone was made, just make sure it doesn't have any physical defects, clicks as it should all over, and doesn't lock up or freeze or randomly reboot...that's more important to me than where it was made.
    02-05-09 09:21 AM
    OK for starters you can really judge the phone off a leaked OS that i believe is your first mistake. Now as far as the whole "Canada/Mexico" dispute goes they say Canada has the good click and Mexico has less dust issues so this is what i say to you turn off your canada storm so the screen is totally black put it under a light and if you see dust ship it back if you dont hold on to that sucker and get .99 on it and see how it does.
    02-05-09 09:24 AM
    I would keep the phone with the better screenclick. With the phones off, click all around the screen. Ask yourself does it click the same, or nearly the same all the way around? Does it have a good feel to the click and an audible sound when you click?

Decide which phone has the better screen click. And keep that Storm! The lagginess, and most other usage issues are software and the next offical update (and some of the leaks) fix most of the software issues.

EDIT: Yes as SR said a check of the seal is good too.
    02-05-09 09:27 AM
    I've had mine since launch. Running .75 and made in Mexico. Aside from the occasional batt pull (which I feel is par for any bb) my phone has worked near flawlessly. IMO, the "made in" factor is hype.

02-05-09 09:35 AM
    To tell the truth, my pearl froze more than my storm.

02-05-09 09:37 AM
    I have a Mexico-made storm and mine works just fine. No dust, it doesn't freeze. I've only pulled the battery once in the last 2 weeks. When I got my storm the rep said my screen felt better than his. I'm still running .75 btw

Last edited by JeffH; 02-14-09 at 08:45 AM. Reason: replaced offensive term
    02-05-09 10:04 AM
    Well. Keep the one that is working right for you. I had them send me a replacment just to check the clicking and the clicking was the same on both phones. So I sent the replacement back. I have 3 extra Storms to that I bought as back ups or to sell for later on. I got them fairly cheaper then what I paid for my original. They are 2 from canada and 2 from mexico and all are the same.

Also, Made my clicking A LOT better when I used the Torx Screw fix and the Felt pad idea. The phone clicks like a charm now. Check into it. Now dust? Cant do much about that. I got some dust to and its just the way it is I guess.
    02-05-09 10:07 AM
    I just received a replacement yesterday... Made in Mexico to replace my Made in Canada non clicking screen POS!

I am much, Much, MUCH happier with this one!!

Screen is perfect, clicks the same all the way around...

I say, use whichever one works better... Forget where it's made...

-Corey
    02-05-09 10:38 AM
    Where did this Mexico vs Canada made bs spawn from anyway?
    02-05-09 10:40 AM
    I wouldn't have thought twice about it, until it got posted here. I am swaping out my orignal 11/21 storm for a replacement. New one is made in Mexico.
    02-12-09 10:54 AM
    My phone was made in Mexico. I received it on 11/27 and have had no problems whatsoever with it.
    02-12-09 11:13 AM
    I have noticed that i dont really feel a click when touching the far left side of the screen, like the letter A for example. The rest of the screen clicks, but far left i just have to put pressure until it registers. there isn't much of a click, if at all.
    02-12-09 11:52 AM
    I had two Canadian Storms which where absolute crap and my kid had a mexican one that was flawless from the beginning. When I got my third one, the store gave me a mexico built 2nd week of January, no software issues, no lag, no loose buttons or leaking light. I say keep the mexican one.
    02-13-09 11:38 PM
    Well. Keep the one that is working right for you. I had them send me a replacment just to check the clicking and the clicking was the same on both phones. So I sent the replacement back. I have 3 extra Storms to that I bought as back ups or to sell for later on. I got them fairly cheaper then what I paid for my original. They are 2 from canada and 2 from mexico and all are the same.

Also, Made my clicking A LOT better when I used the Torx Screw fix and the Felt pad idea. The phone clicks like a charm now. Check into it. Now dust? Cant do much about that. I got some dust to and its just the way it is I guess.
    Do you have a problem with the felt pad making your battery door not wanting to stay on? I tried this fix on my previous Storm and it made the door buldge out and the clips did not want to stay secured. Your thoughts?
    02-13-09 11:44 PM
    My one and only Storm: Made in Canada. No clicking issues, no dust issues.
    Works perfectly.
    Don't worry where the heck it was made...just keep the one that feels the best to you.
    02-13-09 11:49 PM
    I recently got a replacement from Mexico. My original was from Canada. I've had no problems with my replacement at all.
    02-14-09 12:50 AM
    Do you have a problem with the felt pad making your battery door not wanting to stay on? I tried this fix on my previous Storm and it made the door buldge out and the clips did not want to stay secured. Your thoughts?
    Not at all. That means the felt pad you got is to thick. You have to get a little round one that is like a quarter of an inch thick. Check out dollar stores. That's where I got mine at.

02-14-09 01:06 AM
    My Storm was made in the USA.
    02-14-09 06:17 AM
    Both the same phone. Just use the one that seems better to you and makes you happy.

02-14-09 08:48 AM
    Where did this Mexico vs Canada made bs spawn from anyway?
    This is completely easy to answer- like most things, it started with ONE person & others followed suit thinking they were on to something. After enough people jumped on the hype, it became the norm to think one was better than the other.

I personally dont care where my device was made just as long as it works as it should.
    02-14-09 08:59 AM
    If it works... keep it! My Storm was mad in Mexico and it's great. It's the only one I have ever had. Got it Dec 08.
    02-14-09 09:06 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD