But it's not out. And until it's out, people can't say anything one way or the other. They are prematurely getting mad because "Storm 1 hasn't been a year", but Storm 2 is also not out.... So they can't use that argument.

this is true.. and I think that people are going into a assumption that just because new hardware is coming they think there giving up on the old hardware software upgrades... which I doubt.
    05-24-09 03:03 PM
    I would also like to add that Storm1 is pretty darn good.
    How good u might ask? Good enough for me to probably weather the barrage of new phones coming out this year and maybe into the next......
    Well the next year is a stretch but with the S1 well more of a possiblilty than with this than any other
    phone I have had before.
    05-24-09 03:16 PM
    +1!!! I agree totally. People keep trying to compare this to other devices and electronics. Point is THIS PHONE HAS NEVER WORKED LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO FROM DAY ONE AND CANNOT BE IGNORED BY VZW OR RIM!!!!
    I guess I must be really lucky. Previous phones were TREO 180 and 260 which were okay for their time and two HTC Touch phones which I didn't like because of Win Mobile and now a Storm on VZW. My Storm does everything it is supposed to do. It allows me to make and receive calls, does an exceptional job compared to the other phones with email and SMS, handles internet browsing just fine, takes decent pictures and video and has all of the native and 3rd party apps I could possibly want. I have dropped it twice on brick or ceramic floors from about four or five feet and it is none the worse for wear (Incipio Feather case). It was quick enough and reliable on .75, better on .132 and all I could ask for on .148. I happen to really like the click screen so other than WIFI, which I knew I was not getting, I can't think of anything that the Storm 2 will do to improve my experience.

I have five associates with Storms. They had never heard of CB or were aware of what their Storms were capable of other than an easy to use device that worked well as a phone, email source, Internet browser and electronic phone book and calendar. They also haven't a clue that there are "leaked" OS betas and hundreds of apps that enhance the phone. These are happy people and much more representative of the vast majority of users than participants on boards such as CB. They think they got their money worth and don't spend any time agonizing over what RIM and VZW are doing to take advantage of them. Must be something wrong with me and my associates.
    05-24-09 03:35 PM
    I actually feel sorry for the Storm 1 owners.

When the Curve came out, it's lifecycle was much much longer. Same with the Bold.

The Storm 2 feels like a correction of course to erase the sins of Storm 1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-24-09 04:12 PM
    Again, if the only improvement is in the software, the Storm2 is no big deal at all.

Surely, storm1 will benefit from the software upgrade, too.

Does the Storm2 have a faster processor? more built in memory? higher rez screen?
    No?

Then it looks like a storm1 w/o a click screen... no more, no less.
    05-24-09 04:55 PM
    So I know I have to be cautious about what I say here, seeing as though I don't want to get yelled at I also never really post, but I for some reason really feel the need to.

I understand why another storm is coming out. Great. Superb even. It does look pretty, and the WiFi going to be great times. I guess it just bums me out that I finally got the Storm 1 and I'm trying ever so hard to keep up with the leaks/hybrids/updates and so on and so on and scooby dooby doo bee...and out of nowhere comes a brandy new storm, all pretty and new like..when I can't even get an official OS update from Verizon. I'm not hatin' on RIM or VZW for any of these problems, they are no one's but my own. And I personally LOVE the storm on .148, so I'm not losing sleep. Just kinda like "oh...so a new storm 2 you say" as I look at my tweaked and leaked phone.

I'm assuming (and not so secretly hoping) there will be just as many glitches in the storm 2 as there were in the Storm 1. Or RIM will have perfected the touchscreen and the slow clap will commence.

I'm hoping for all that get the Storm 2 that you will have a fine time with it. ****, I'll most likely get it when my upgrade time rolls around. I can't wait to see what you all think of it honestly.

I just figured I'd give my opinion on the matter...hope I don't get yelled at!
    everyone is hyping up the storm 2 and i hope they dont release the storm 2 like the current storm, with all the bugs it had.
    05-24-09 05:01 PM
    I guess I must be really lucky. Previous phones were TREO 180 and 260 which were okay for their time and two HTC Touch phones which I didn't like because of Win Mobile and now a Storm on VZW. My Storm does everything it is supposed to do. It allows me to make and receive calls, does an exceptional job compared to the other phones with email and SMS, handles internet browsing just fine, takes decent pictures and video and has all of the native and 3rd party apps I could possibly want. I have dropped it twice on brick or ceramic floors from about four or five feet and it is none the worse for wear (Incipio Feather case). It was quick enough and reliable on .75, better on .132 and all I could ask for on .148. I happen to really like the click screen so other than WIFI, which I knew I was not getting, I can't think of anything that the Storm 2 will do to improve my experience.

I have five associates with Storms. They had never heard of CB or were aware of what their Storms were capable of other than an easy to use device that worked well as a phone, email source, Internet browser and electronic phone book and calendar. They also haven't a clue that there are "leaked" OS betas and hundreds of apps that enhance the phone. These are happy people and much more representative of the vast majority of users than participants on boards such as CB. They think they got their money worth and don't spend any time agonizing over what RIM and VZW are doing to take advantage of them. Must be something wrong with me and my associates.

So you are talking about people that are happy and only use a fraction of the features. Unless you have the miracle Storm, you have to admit the lock up are numerous and can become very frustrating. I'm just hoping like everyone else that RIM/VZW hasn't forgotten about us Storm 1 owners that are in desperate need of an upgraded OS. Of course people are going to be upset when they hear of "Storm 2" and they haven't even got the first version right yet. Any why are they abandoning the click screen...hhmm because they can't fix the dust issue?
    05-24-09 05:22 PM
    I fail to see the point of this thread. This is like a car person buying the last year of a model and then complaining because they didnt' wait for the next year's better model to come around. SOmething comes out... a new and improved one comes along a short while after. That is called natural progression.
    OMG SHUT UP ABOUT THIS CAR ANALOGY ..YOU CANNONT COMPARE CAR AND CELL PHONE LIKE COMPARING APPLES AND ORANGES...THE FACT IS THAT UNTIL THE IPHONE STARTED MAKING NEW PHONES YEARLY ..YOU WOULDNT EVEN HAVE AN ARGUMENT..BEFORE THEN WE WOULDNT SEE VERSION 2 OF PHONES FOR 2 YEARS BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE USUALLY SIGN 2 YEAR CONTRACTS. WE SEE THAT APPLE GAVE IPHONE 2G OWNERS AN UPGRADE AND SO SHOULD RIM. THE PHONE HAS BEEN UPDATED "OFFICALLY" ( I USE THE TERM OFFICIALLY VERY LIGHTLY)..1 TIME...BACK TO YOU LAMES USING THE CAR ANALOGY..A CAR IS THOROUGHLY TESTED BEFORE THEY ARE RELEASED..THE STORM WAS NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED WHEN RELEASED. MOST CARS WORK THE WAY THEY ARE ADVERTISED ON RELEASE..THE STORM WASNT. THEN I KNOW SOMEONE IS GOING TO SAY WELL YOU HAD 30 DAYS TO TAKE THE PHONE BACK..WELL THAT THING CALLED AN OS UPDATE WAS PROMISED BY VERIZON TO EVERYONE WHO CARED TO CALLED AND THEY HELD ON TO THE PHONE BECAUSE THEY SAW THE POTENTIAL. THIS PHONE DID HAVE POTENTIAL BUT RIM BUILT IT POORLY AND COULDN'T UNLOCK IT.

SO PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THESE STUPID ANALOGIES WITH CARS...ITS BS..RIM SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY..
    05-24-09 06:39 PM
    OMG SHUT UP ABOUT THIS CAR ANALOGY ..YOU CANNONT COMPARE CAR AND CELL PHONE LIKE COMPARING APPLES AND ORANGES...THE FACT IS THAT UNTIL THE IPHONE STARTED MAKING NEW PHONES YEARLY ..YOU WOULDNT EVEN HAVE AN ARGUMENT..BEFORE THEN WE WOULDNT SEE VERSION 2 OF PHONES FOR 2 YEARS BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY PEOPLE USUALLY SIGN 2 YEAR CONTRACTS. WE SEE THAT APPLE GAVE IPHONE 2G OWNERS AN UPGRADE AND SO SHOULD RIM. THE PHONE HAS BEEN UPDATED "OFFICALLY" ( I USE THE TERM OFFICIALLY VERY LIGHTLY)..1 TIME...BACK TO YOU LAMES USING THE CAR ANALOGY..A CAR IS THOROUGHLY TESTED BEFORE THEY ARE RELEASED..THE STORM WAS NOT THOROUGHLY TESTED WHEN RELEASED. MOST CARS WORK THE WAY THEY ARE ADVERTISED ON RELEASE..THE STORM WASNT. THEN I KNOW SOMEONE IS GOING TO SAY WELL YOU HAD 30 DAYS TO TAKE THE PHONE BACK..WELL THAT THING CALLED AN OS UPDATE WAS PROMISED BY VERIZON TO EVERYONE WHO CARED TO CALLED AND THEY HELD ON TO THE PHONE BECAUSE THEY SAW THE POTENTIAL. THIS PHONE DID HAVE POTENTIAL BUT RIM BUILT IT POORLY AND COULDN'T UNLOCK IT.

SO PLEASE STOP WITH ALL THESE STUPID ANALOGIES WITH CARS...ITS BS..RIM SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY..

relax is a cellphone and my storm works great and I don't think verizon nor rim owes me a new model phone. They need to update it and there working on it. It was rushed but I think the majority of owners haven't complained much yes we see a ton of it on the site becacuse most the people here are extremists.

They sold a ton of Storms and I think people fail to remember how many people probably actually like there phone.

the upgrade to iPhone 3g was at 1 year when most people had there 1 year upgrade..

I agree the car analogy isn't the best example but its dang close to the truth.. Fact is if you didn't return it within 30 days thats your falt not theres you new the terms that you signed to and if you didn't agree with the terms you shouldn't have signed them thats how it works.
    05-24-09 06:55 PM
    relax is a cellphone and my storm works great and I don't think verizon nor rim owes me a new model phone. They need to update it and there working on it. It was rushed but I think the majority of owners haven't complained much yes we see a ton of it on the site becacuse most the people here are extremists.

They sold a ton of Storms and I think people fail to remember how many people probably actually like there phone.

the upgrade to iPhone 3g was at 1 year when most people had there 1 year upgrade..

I agree the car analogy isn't the best example but its dang close to the truth.. Fact is if you didn't return it within 30 days thats your falt not theres you new the terms that you signed to and if you didn't agree with the terms you shouldn't have signed them thats how it works.
    your right they dont owe us anything technically, but i would like an explanation or an apology. I mean any other decent company would do that. They aren't even acknowledging it, as if there wasnt over a million people who purchased the phone.

Yes the iphone 3g did come a year after the 2g, but they were given a discount regardless if you had the phone one year or 31 days

True we were given 30 days but these phones today have these os updates which 30 days isnt enough to give the consumer time to evaluate ..who knows this phone could have been updated on the 31st day i had the phone, but by then i would have gave the phone back so I would have been mad right. These updates that we have zero idea when they come out keep us wanting more and want us to keep the phone
    05-24-09 07:44 PM
    Correct. It happens with everything. I'm not sure what the big deal is as it's common knowledge that products get updated, usually around 12 months. But your analogy was dead on. There will always be a newer better device around the corner. Always. You get what you get because you like it. If you want the newer one, get it. But don't complain because there's something newer....
    I agree with that statement. The one thing I hate hearing, though, is that people say their Storm "works". Sure it works, but not as advertised. How would you like it if I sold you a car that was rated at 35 MPG but wouldn't reach 15 MPG at best, even with you following the fine print on how to get the full 35. Don't get me wrong, I love my Storm.
    05-25-09 07:13 AM

This post makes my day... I am so Tired of people acting like storm 1 and vzw are the Anti-Christ! If all the people on CB that arent happy with the phone returned it, then guess what? It would still be an amazing success! Every new device that comes up with something different has issues, the first Iphone had major issues and the 3G does as well but people want to compare the two. We have millions of users rocking .75 and enjoying their phones and because of the SUCCESS of storm 1 you get a updated device. Welcome to the world of Early Adopters!

The Storm 2 is designed to refine the plattform. We need WiFi, and apps now mean we need more memory, the screen is one of the big factors for replacement and hence it needed to be changed, I would have preferred a rubber gasket but what can ya do.. Its a great phone made better..
    05-25-09 07:45 AM
    Guys,

The Storm 1 has many issues, and that cannot be refuted. However, the pending release of the Storm 2 shouldn't upset anyone. The only thing that Storm 1 users should demand and expect is an os for the Storm 1 that works perfectly. Other than that, this demanding of a free Storm 2, or early upgrade is not warranted, UNLESS, the Storm 2 is released, and fixes the issues that the Storm 1 has with software, and yet, there's no official software that fixes the Storm 1's issues. As for me, I love/hate my Storm 1, and I'm going to be first in line to get the Storm 2. Yes, I am compulsive with these things, especially blackberries, but oh well, lol. With a thinner profile, wifi, and possibly other upgrades yet to be confirmed, this is worth an upgrade to me.
    05-25-09 08:18 AM
    This post makes my day... I am so Tired of people acting like storm 1 and vzw are the Anti-Christ! If all the people on CB that arent happy with the phone returned it, then guess what? It would still be an amazing success! Every new device that comes up with something different has issues, the first Iphone had major issues and the 3G does as well but people want to compare the two. We have millions of users rocking .75 and enjoying their phones and because of the SUCCESS of storm 1 you get a updated device. Welcome to the world of Early Adopters!

The Storm 2 is designed to refine the plattform. We need WiFi, and apps now mean we need more memory, the screen is one of the big factors for replacement and hence it needed to be changed, I would have preferred a rubber gasket but what can ya do.. Its a great phone made better..
    Wow, I like your outlook, but cant understand it. How do you call it a success when the the company that makes it, doesn't call it that? RIM admits they got it wrong out the door, which means they "knowingly", sold a device that was full of bugs. I am not sure where you get your numbers from to show that there are "millions of users rocking .75", none of the numbers reported have RIM even selling that total amount of Storms. I have no problem with being an early adopter, but when you have platform completely dropped (surepress), that indicates RIM knew they had issues and were in the process of making it obsolete when they sold it on launch day. Improve the phone, but don't say "oops" and leave me with a product you may not plan on supporting.
    05-25-09 09:05 AM
    but when you have platform completely dropped (surepress), that indicates RIM knew they had issues and were in the process of making it obsolete when they sold it on launch day.
    somebody else that understands what REALLY went on.

2Krunk RIM may have known but VZW forced the release.

05-25-09 11:46 AM
    I posted this on another thread also.....
    When the Co-CEO of RIM says, paraphrasing "We really messed this one up", and "this is the new reality", I do feel like we are entitled to a device that works as described when they pitched the phone. I am still waiting for the Storm to perform like lewis Hamilton did in the first commercials out on the product. I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer $100/$150 credit off of full retail. VZW is caught holding the bag here, sucks for them, but thats the price of doing business. Technology is always moving forward, but a device should work, without having to load a leaked or hybrid O/S, to make it somewhat stable. I know some will say, the phone does work, and yes it does, but not all the features are reliable and I think that's where the rub lies with me. I want to be able to take a picture, switch to video and then attach it to a e-mail without the phone locking up. Is that too much to ask for apps that RIM loade on the device?
    wow! a credit would be amazing. Imagine? But unfortunately it's Verizon we are talking about. I look at my bill the wrong way and I get a charge/fee/some other ridiculous problem. RIM could suggest that, but I'm not sure Verizon would comply.

I personally am not offended or upset at RIM or Verizon for any of the Storm problems, which I said in my original post. I mostly am just concerned that I haven't received an official OS upgrade (that hasn't stopped me from download the leaks, but it'd be nice to have something official, feels cleaner sometimes).

I know the Storm 2 will have glitches, so I'd be wary of buying it the day of. All new technologies have glitches. Duh. It's just weird that there's all this focus on the sequel to the Storm before the first one has been tweaked and worked on.

No big whoop, it's just strange to me that RIM is jumping the gun so hardcore.
    05-26-09 11:30 AM
    It seems petty to consistently complain about the Storm 2 and how the already phased out Storm 1 is still so "fresh."

As far as I'm concerned, it is simply a prime example of how the market is for smartphones and that carriers are just as fidgety when it comes to the "what's next" ideology.

If Verizon doesn't offer some sort of upgrade option for current Storm owners, oh well. We're already aware that Verizon is awful when it comes to customer service, let alone, being accessible when it comes to seeking help in any way.
    05-26-09 12:36 PM
    wow! a credit would be amazing. Imagine? But unfortunately it's Verizon we are talking about. I look at my bill the wrong way and I get a charge/fee/some other ridiculous problem. RIM could suggest that, but I'm not sure Verizon would comply.

I personally am not offended or upset at RIM or Verizon for any of the Storm problems, which I said in my original post. I mostly am just concerned that I haven't received an official OS upgrade (that hasn't stopped me from download the leaks, but it'd be nice to have something official, feels cleaner sometimes).

I know the Storm 2 will have glitches, so I'd be wary of buying it the day of. All new technologies have glitches. Duh. It's just weird that there's all this focus on the sequel to the Storm before the first one has been tweaked and worked on.

No big whoop, it's just strange to me that RIM is jumping the gun so hardcore.
    I think they are jumping the gun, because the decision has been made that the technology will not work as they envisioned. In the long run RIM may be doing us a favor by pulling it now and saving there name by admitting (partially), that they got it wrong. Now I'm going to step out on a limb and say, that the leaks we get are what they have decided not to use and therefore do not care about a unuseable image (O/S) going into the wild. Yeah it may be a "well duh" comment, but think about it, when you write code that doesn't work, would you ever let a user have it, unless you knew what you originally gave them was really bad?

They never told us to load the leak but it's interesting that the leaks continually have bugs, but also will keep the phones from being returned en-masse. I personally have never seen so many updates to an O/S that was so unstable. I actually side with VZW for not realeasing bad code, wow can't beleive I'm saying that! I do understand that there will be bugs in all code that is written, but my goodness, aren't we up to about 13-14 leaks and now news starts to filter out that the technology is being shelved? Who does that unless it's not fixxable? That has to be the logiccal conclusion... How else will they be able to sell the Storm 2 without bad mouthing the original? I don't claim to know any of this for sure, but please help me to understand why I am not entitled to a partial credit? I think fair is fair...
    Last edited by 2Krunk; 05-26-09 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
    05-26-09 12:46 PM
    Your logic is correct but the fact of the matter is that VZW has NOT publicly admitted to the device being "defective" and "unfixable" even though you and others know that to be true.

They pushed out .75 that they say fixed all the issues. Also keep in mind what MOST Storm users have been saying.

They have continually claimed that there is a lot more happy users out there who are very satisfied. They say CB is only a small sample and it in no way reflects the overall opinion of the device.

Why are you not entitled to a credit? Simply because the device works and has no problems according to Verizon.

Why do you think they act like they never heard of dust and screen click issues? If they publicly admit to that they would have a problem on their hands and people like you would end up with new devices courtesy of VZW. Would cost them millions.

Not going to happen.

05-26-09 01:45 PM
    Your logic is correct but the fact of the matter is that VZW has NOT publicly admitted to the device being "defective" and "unfixable" even though you and others know that to be true.

They pushed out .75 that they say fixed all the issues. Also keep in mind what MOST Storm users have been saying.

They have continually claimed that there is a lot more happy users out there who are very satisfied. They say CB is only a small sample and it in no way reflects the overall opinion of the device.

Why are you not entitled to a credit? Simply because the device works and has no problems according to Verizon.

Why do you think they act like they never heard of dust and screen click issues? If they publicly admit to that they would have a problem on their hands and people like you would end up with new devices courtesy of VZW. Would cost them millions.

Not going to happen.

Why should Verizon admit it, my thinking is that they will hope the customers hold RIM a little more accountable. May be a bad analogy, but it's like buying a Corvette and then holding the delear responsible for when the corvette doesn't pull 1g on the skid pad as advertised. Yes the Dealer (Verizon) sold you the item, but they had nothing to do with the handling of the car. Hopefully we will have a pleasant surprise and they fix the Storm, before rolling out the 2nd generation.
    05-26-09 03:03 PM
    Thing is 2krunk I do not believe that RIM intended to release the current Storm but VZW "strong armed" them.

There is no way RIM would have released that phone unless they were forced to.

I think Storm1 is the development device that got rushed into production for release to the public to make black friday. VZW pulls the strings on this one.

Storm2 was the actual intended release device.

I covered this in depth in my other thread.

05-26-09 05:55 PM
    Thing is 2krunk I do not believe that RIM intended to release the current Storm but VZW "strong armed" them.

There is no way RIM would have released that phone unless they were forced to.

I think Storm1 is the development device that got rushed into production for release to the public to make black friday. VZW pulls the strings on this one.

Storm2 was the actual intended release device.

I covered this in depth in my other thread.

That actually makes sense. I do like RIM and I think they are smart folks. I think this whole getting partial credit thing is a bit pie in the sky.

I really do love my Storm and I probably wouldn't trade it in for another phone at the moment. It's fun to play with and I feel kinda cool with the leaks and apps and all that good stuff. I for some reason am just rubbed the wrong way when I think of the new and improved Storm 2 coming out...and here I am still scrambling for the next leak/hybrid/fix/not-official/let's keep our fingers crossed I don't brick my phone with this OS on Crackberry.

And I love doing that don't get me wrong. But I completely agree with the thought that the Storm1 was a rush job orchestrated by Verizon. One that worked out for some, but not for others. Damn the man!
    05-27-09 11:16 AM
    I hope that the new storm or whatever is perfect and all the buyer's of the first storm get a new storm "FREE" but then again this isn't a perfect world is it???
    05-27-09 11:46 AM
    i think its safe to say that just as they feel abandonment from vz and RIM with the storm, they just might get the same treatment from the storm 2 once its out and the "NEXT" best thing comes out!

That point I do understand...
    05-27-09 12:00 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD