My name is not really Travis, but I do have a memory addiction / obsession.

This is my first blackberry and I love it. When I got it I lost my mind and downloaded tons of apps, and I mean tons. I had no idea what I was doing. I had no idea the abomination, the memory eating tumor that was growing in my phone. I didnt know about free memory and all the leaks in so many programs. I then discovered crackberry.com and came across this memory issue. I then checked mine and found out I had 12 megs of free application memory... WHAT 12????? Sweet jesus I am not running at optimal efficiency!!! I freaked out and restored my phone to factory settings. Then I got a baseline of my app memory. 46 when I first do a battery pull. I then installed quickpull and logmaid. Still hovered around 44 to 46 most of the time.

But now I have come to a point where I cannot install an app and enjoy my life. I installed slacker radio yesturday. Oh my god, I was checking my memory every 2 seconds. It was dropping constantly. No programs open, not doing anything. I listened to the radio for maybe 20 min. Its been 15 min check again. Its been 20 minutes check again. The radio has been off for 3 hours check again. My phone isnt even slowing down at all but check again anyway. I almost got in an accident because I checked my app memory on the highway and it was 24!!!! Oh my god! Uninstalled slacker radio immediately. Then today I installed the gmail app. Again, memory dropping to around 35!!! Checked app memory every 20 minutes for a few hours. Deleted it.

If I only have quickpull and logmaid, and it stays above 40. What I dont understand is why do I care so much!?! I mean my phone still seemed smooth at 35. I have deleted all unnecissary apps, always close programs, but still feel the need to check my memory CONSTANTLY. I am doing my best, but the only way for me to not check all the time it is to not have anything installed, but then I miss out on some wonderful programs. This is a rough period of my Blackberry life, and it is still in its infancy. But I will make it. I just needed some support from a community that I am sure has a few memory addicts in it.

This is my admission, it is the first step.
    02-09-09 02:36 PM
    I don't understand the Obsession with memory fluctuations. If the phone is running smooth,that Should be enough. Apparently, for some it needs to run smooth AND have 50+ megs of a stat they don't really understand. Hey, a big number must be better, right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 02:46 PM
    Hilarious! I do the same thing. I fully blame these forums. I had to step back when I spent an afternoon debating whether or not my screen had a "yellowish tint" or a "bluish tint" to it. Ridiculous. Time to put the phone down and step outside.
    02-09-09 02:53 PM
    I don't understand the Obsession with memory fluctuations. If the phone is running smooth,that Should be enough. Apparently, for some it needs to run smooth AND have 50+ megs of a stat they don't really understand. Hey, a big number must be better, right?

Do you realize what you have done to me by saying that! I cannot get above 50 even if I have no programs installed, do a battery pull, and open nothing......
    02-09-09 02:57 PM
    I don't get worried about memory until its down to about 12 and my camera won't open

02-09-09 03:03 PM
    I used to be just like you guys. After 30 days in an inpatient facility I'm floating around 22 meg and you can barely see my hands shaking. I'll be ok just as soon as I delete weatherbug right?
    02-09-09 04:30 PM
    How do you end a program running in the background?

Thanks!
    e
    02-09-09 04:32 PM
    Try owning an XV6800 and after you install your basic apps you have only 18 mb to work with. There's plenty of memory on the storm. relax
    02-09-09 04:44 PM
    I know EXACTLY what you mean! It's these CrackBerry forums!!! I'm addicted to CrackBerry, and to my BB, and I read all these posts about low memory, and then I'm checking like 20 times a day and wondering why I'm always hovering under 30, then I delete and/or hide icons for some programs, and I can only get to 32. All the while, I'm still running the official OS, and my Storm works fine, but I'm nervous, like it's gonna crash at any moment. I'm trying to read more "positive" posts now, to ease my anxiety.
    02-09-09 04:59 PM
    Aww c**p!! just checked and I'm floating above 10.. definitely gonna crash 'n burn!
    02-09-09 05:23 PM
    Its funny because this problem seems to be completely linked to the blackberry itself. I had an iphone 3g before this and I did not feel the same attatchment to my phone. If it was crashing or running slow it didn't affect me like this. I didn't care. I now have deleted all my third party applications and I still can't get above 46...

02-09-09 05:44 PM
    Btw the storm dominates the iphone.

02-09-09 05:45 PM
    Lol. I'm not even gonna say how many times I look a day. One wordĽobsessed. Any help out there? Lol

02-09-09 05:53 PM
    I wish all i had to worry about my phone were memory leaks. i install new hvac systems in old houses. (crawl spaces and attics) I almost didnt return to these forums after i saw all the dust under the screen issues. I nearly poohed my pants when i reflected on where i was using my storm. So dont feel bad fellow worrywarts. I trip out the same only differently.
    02-09-09 06:15 PM
    I recommend lots of therapy.
    02-09-09 06:21 PM
    I start at about 35MB after a BP, then usually end the day close to 20MB. Still running .75, flashed over original .65. Might do a full wipe when next official OS drops.
    02-09-09 06:24 PM

9 inches is better than 6! or so im led to believe
    02-09-09 06:47 PM
    "Hello, Travis."
    02-09-09 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD