So these mini-reviews have been a big help in deciding if I should get the storm because I'm in the odd predicament of having just a few days before my 30 day return period on my current phone ends. I have a bb curve, I really like it, but I have basically 2 days after the storm comes out to decide if I want to switch or not.

I called a few verizon stores and one told me that they finally had a storm in store. I drove down and asked to see it and they gave me a non-working model phone...I played around with it and talked to some of the representatives until I asked when they'd get a working model and one looked back and forth and then said "Alright, will you not tell anyone else about this?" Needless to say, they went into the back and got me a storm to mess with.

***HENCE THE REVIEWING BEGINS***

The phone feels very sturdy, much heavier than the curve, which was nice. The back is a sleek brushed steel, I thought it would be that soft touch material, this is nice though. The screen itself is very very nice. I don't mean the resolution or brightness, I mean the physical screen. It's made out of a very durable feeling glass material, and it's nothing like those ****ty plastic ones you see on touch screen dumbphones.

The image on the screen looks very nice. I wasn't blown away by any means, but it is very crisp and clear, I watched a preloaded video on it and I wasn't as flabbergasted as everyone else on these boards has seemed to be by it. You had to have it angled just right to see all the colors, but other than that it is a really nice video player, very nice!

Now the one thing that has me up in the air, the click screen. Hmm...it's a whole new world for touch screen phones. First of all, it feels wonderful when you're using things like number-pads or a suretype keyboard. Nice big keys are wonderful and the click makes typing feel wonderful and natural. I had never typed on a suretype before and I was blasting away. It's the qwerty that concerns me. Typing in qwerty mode was much slower than typing on a physical keyboard because you have to press each tiny button one at a time because of the nature of the keyboard, you cannot have more than 1 button pressed at a time, the screen has to come completely up before you can push it down again to make another selection. Typing this way was troublesome as if your fingers go down at a different angle than they go up on the keyboard, then you may have a different letter highlighted as the screen releases and puts the wrong letter in. I don't have large hands at all, for a guy at least. I can type on my curve really fast, and without any errors. I was making mistakes left and right here, had to go back and fix stuff (which isn't easy because if you try to move the curser back it only highlights the whole word and tells you "THIS IS MISPELLED LAWL"-Well thank you phone, that's why I'm trying to fix it, but no, ok, I'll just delete it and type in over again. I think if I got this I'd end up typing with suretype until I reaaaallly get the hang of the qwerty, it just feels weird.

It does lag when switching from landscape to upright mode. Sometimes it was like 3-4 seconds, other times it took just a second or less. It wasn't bad at all, but the accelerometer was really sensitive. If I was holding it normally and just moved my hand slightly it would sometimes shift to landscape. Using apps and opening menus lagged sometimes, it felt a little clunky, but that can probably be fixed through OS updates.

They did not have the browser anywhere on the phone I could see because she said it wasn't fully connected to the network (??) so I did not get to try that out.

Overall I have really mixed feelings. I really really really want to want it. It's a newer model than my curve and it's a really cool phone. The most important thing is that I choose whatever I'm happy with, and I don't know!! I just have so little time to decide!
    11-19-08 04:52 PM
    i had a curve and changed to storm, exactly same probs as you but getting used to it. Exactly the same as an old girlfriend to new girlfriend-time and getting used to it! Go for it, it just needs updates .
    11-19-08 04:56 PM
    so much for not telling anyone about it LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 04:56 PM
    so much for not telling anyone about it LOL

Hahahahaha, I think she meant people in the store and in the area, but I guess you're right xD
    11-19-08 05:04 PM
    OS Version?

11-19-08 05:08 PM
    Yeah, i would go for it, i have a feeling that your just thinking the curve is outdated and you want to throw urself into the 2 year contract with a new phone. Do what you want to do, it all comes down to if u want a physical keyboard or not. all the problems that have been talked about on the forums in terms of lagginess can and will be fixed by OS updates
    11-19-08 05:13 PM
    i had a curve and changed to storm, exactly same probs as you but getting used to it. Exactly the same as an old girlfriend to new girlfriend-time and getting used to it! Go for it, it just needs updates .
    That's a really good point, and if you're adjusting to it, that makes me feel better about getting one. Are you actually happy with it? Genuinely happy over the curve?

OS Version?
    I was thinking about that the whole time but never checked ONLY because I've seen many people post in their mini reviews which OS theirs was, and I just assumed this one would be the same. I don't know why I didn't check just in case though...
    11-19-08 05:25 PM
    hmmm people dont understand that at this point all we care about is the OS version .... ughghgh !!
    11-19-08 05:32 PM
    i actually do like it, but email and text will take time. But curve took ages, as soon as ota come out it will be even better. But i do miss shortcuts on curve but is a different phone ... and better. The curve would lag as well, but they are mini computers arent they? Curve took 3 months to master, 4 days on this and am getting used to it. Just a bit of time and practice
    11-19-08 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD