Well im running .75 and i have noticed that my memory constantly drops down in the 20's with hardly any apps running. At first I thought it was my GMail app because i have 1500 or so un read messages in my GMail account so i figured that plus the constant running of the App was causing this but it still drops into the mid-low 20's sometimes even lower.

only reason this bothers me is because i see posts about guys having 40+mb of memory and they have more apps going than me.

3rd Party Apps Installed:
    Bank Of America
    Facebook
    logMaid
    Myspace

I also deleted:
    VZ Navigator
    Blackberry Messenger
    Verizon Rhapsody

any thoughts?
    02-01-09 11:50 PM
    There are gradual memory leaks in a good chunk of the apps, press the BB button and see what apps you have running. If you go into an app and just hit the red button to back out the app will still be running. Just make sure you exit out of an app properly and it will free up some space. The memory leak issues have also been adressed in many o the newer OSs. .99 has been great (running 41.8Mb for six hours now)

There are also some apps that require a constant connection to the server. Sports and news updates are big ones, email is usually a notification based connection, but keep that in mind i you decide to download any new apps.
    02-02-09 12:12 AM
    If you're running .75, you might want to do a battery pull at least once a day... It will make your phone run smoother.
    On a separate note, why would you delete BB messenger?
    02-02-09 12:28 AM
    I'm running .75 and have seen my free memory wander around 25 to 30m typically with some excursions below 20m. I have not yielded to the temptation to reset it and it has been running in this state for over a week (now I'll have to reset it...).

You might want to dump the help files also. This is when I noticed a significant improvement in memory performance.
    02-02-09 12:40 AM
    well the thing is i dont have any apps that run in the background so thats why im confused as to why my memory ggets so low.

you would think they would allow us to use som of the built in memory for applications
    02-02-09 10:01 AM
    A metaphor that will surely be trashed might help here:

Think of your desk covered in post-it notes. As you work on something you write interim result on the notes, filling them as you go. The more you do something - anything, including simple stuff you know how to do - the more notes get covered. Now, you do not throw away any notes, but only use the ones on the desk. At some point, you will be spending a lot of time looking for a place to jot a note and thus your work speed slows down.

This is (one of the things) the "free memory" on the device is used for. Eventually it becomes so clogged that the device slows down. Every so often a "garbage collector" comes around and cleans up by replacing "used notes" with fresh notes and performance improves.

This is called memory fragmentation. It's an almost inescapable thing. The interesting part to consider is what happens if there is not enough free/clean memory for the garbage collector to work...
    02-02-09 10:44 AM
    i would do a wipe with jl cmdr

I used to get 40 mb of free memory after a battery pull.. after I wiped i now get 56.

big improvement I'd say and it runs alot more smoothly
    02-02-09 10:49 AM
    Stupid question...Are you all referring to "Application memory" as seen in the Memory tab, under options? Or is there another place to view the current used/free memory?
    02-02-09 12:41 PM
    Im running .75 and barely have any 3rd party apps. Even after battery pull I am at no more than 34mb...it usually gets down to 18mb in 3 days.

Just something Ive learned to live with. Occasionally it does **** me off when I see others stating they now have 40mb free, 50mb free. I don't notice much of slow down though to warrant a wipe just yet.
    02-02-09 01:00 PM
    The real question you should be asking, is whether or not you are experiencing any sort of a performance issue. Free app memory is just a number, and it isn't really as important as some people think it is.
    02-02-09 01:40 PM
    I do see a slowing in performance when my application memory falls into the 20s from about 45 just after a battery pull. I only run the apps that came with the Storm and am meticulous about closing apps from the menu.
    02-02-09 01:50 PM
    So I just updated to 0.99 yesterday and now my memory is between 6.0 and 7.3 no higher and no less. The only apps I have are myspace,facebook, weatherbug, and viigo :/
    02-02-09 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD