A lot of people are upset feeling like they are being "nickel and dimed" for apps that should have been native on a touch screen phone, myself included. Things like being able to disable the acceleromator, lock the screen in a call, customize the LED, ring and vibrate, etc.

That got me thinking, did RIM do this on purpose? Let me explain...

RIM has known for awhile they were going to be coming out with App World and set up a payment structure where $2.99 was the lowest paid app. I believe it was mentioned on here that RIM gets a 20% cut of price of the app per sale. Even at $2.99 that means RIM is making .60 cents off each sale, adds up quckly...

Is it possible that RIM left out these features on purpose knowing that if the demand was high enough a third party developer would make the app and sell it through App World where RIM would make some extra money?

Maybe I'm just reading into it too deeply but I certainly find it plausible. I wanted to think that the developers at RIM were smarter than "forgetting" these features but then again the lack of a stable OS 6 months after release really isn't helping that agrument much...

What do you guys think?
    05-14-09 02:22 PM
    This is possible but i doubt they would do this to make a little extra side money. They make enough from devices.
    05-14-09 02:25 PM
    A reasonable theory. If true, then they are scum. As a first time BB user, I'm just so irritated by RIM.
    05-14-09 02:25 PM
    i just stay away from app world all toget her. i dont even have it installed on my phone. if i want an app i go to crackberry.
    05-14-09 02:31 PM
    A lot of people are upset feeling like they are being "nickel and dimed" for apps that should have been native on a touch screen phone, myself included. Things like being able to disable the acceleromator, lock the screen in a call, customize the LED, ring and vibrate, etc.

That got me thinking, did RIM do this on purpose? Let me explain...

RIM has known for awhile they were going to be coming out with App World and set up a payment structure where $2.99 was the lowest paid app. I believe it was mentioned on here that RIM gets a 20% cut of price of the app per sale. Even at $2.99 that means RIM is making .60 cents off each sale, adds up quckly...

Is it possible that RIM left out these features on purpose knowing that if the demand was high enough a third party developer would make the app and sell it through App World where RIM would make some extra money?

Maybe I'm just reading into it too deeply but I certainly find it plausible. I wanted to think that the developers at RIM were smarter than "forgetting" these features but then again the lack of a stable OS 6 months after release really isn't helping that agrument much...

What do you guys think?
    Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left.

RIM didn't leave those things "off" to make $$$ ( in the long run including them woul dmake them more $$) It is posible those things may be added as features later on. Remember the Storm still doens't have a gold code OS so nonessential features are the least of RIM's worries
    05-14-09 02:37 PM
    You're saying they hatched this scheme around 2004 then right? These features have been the same since you could buy a Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 02:38 PM

RIM didn't leave those things "off" to make $$$ ( in the long run including them woul dmake them more $$) It is posible those things may be added as features later on. Remember the Storm still doens't have a gold code OS so nonessential features are the least of RIM's worries
    OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU FOR THAT COMMENT! That is absolutely pure genius.

I was trying to come up with a good conspiracy theory reference and you just nailed it!
    05-14-09 02:44 PM
    You're saying they hatched this scheme around 2004 then right? These features have been the same since you could buy a Blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

App World wasn't around in 2004 and neither was the Storm. The fact is, the Storm was Blackberry's competition to the iPhone and apps are a huge draw. Things like stoptilt and screenlock are Storm specific apps that other Blackberries don't need; they are touch screen specific. I'm just throwing it out there to see what people thought. Obviously you don't agree and that's fine, end of story.
    05-14-09 02:44 PM
    OK I'll bite..what is that from?
    05-14-09 02:46 PM
    Oh and Devlyn, I like your sig too, "no hardware problems," thanks for reminding everyone you got a "perfect Storm" since that seems to be hard to come by.

05-14-09 02:47 PM
    OK I'll bite..what is that from?
    It's from the Kennedy assassination. People describe the way his head moved as "Back, and to the left". Usually involves some sort of conspiracy theory as to the number/locations of the shooters.
    05-14-09 02:55 PM
    It's from the Kennedy assassination. People describe the way his head moved as "Back, and to the left". Usually involves some sort of conspiracy theory as to the number/locations of the shooters.
    The More You Know!
    05-14-09 02:57 PM
    Kinda far fetched, to me these features that are missing. Is what happens when you rush an to develop an os. You end up with developers focus on making the os work and pay no attention to smaller details or features that can make the end user happy.
    05-14-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD