First off... Walk into the store.. people sitting on the floor like hermits waiting. So I ask ol boy why... He says "well our systems have been running STUPID slow because of all the orders being placed in stores, through telesales, and customer service. So I say okay whatever. I see the Storm sitting there.. Figure **** it. Why NOT go and test it out. (Mine is being shipped for Saturday morning delivery. I avoided lines. **** that)

Before I did ANYTHING. First thing I did was checked the OS of the phone. [Options > About] And its 4.7.0.65. Granted thats the test beta OS system, and there is an OTA update for the Storm coming in the next 4-5 days.

Next thing I did was check to see if they had any other themes (like BB Dimensions for the curve), however i didnt see any), so hopefully there will be some theme makers to make some decent themes for it......

The reason I checked the OS update is because there is a 1 second delay on the accellerator (basically when you switch from Landscapr to portrait mode on the phone.

-The typing on the phone is nice. Like the fact my fingers reach each key and makes it relatively easy to type. Kind of had a problem when I tried to type a link into the brower with using the "http://" until i realized that I didnt press the symbol key.. (stupid I know).

*Pause for the cause*... This is NOT the G1. Its NOT the Iphone. So miss me with the g1/Iphone comparisons. Okay? Great.

Continuing on. I went to the media section. Video cool, photos cool, great. Takes nice photos for a 3.2 megapixel camera. So if you heavy on taking photos on your camera, you'll love it. (and it actually has flash..iphone )

All instant messengers are installed into the phone. Also, Myspace has a new update to their application allowing chat and all of that (even though you can use a 3rd party app for it as well).

I use facebook alot. So it was important I have this. Basically it has EVERYTHING you should have, minus the chat. (then again,t here are third parties that will more than likely support ). But it does have a nifty update to come in January.

--New Account Creation - the ability to create a new Facebook account directly on the BlackBerry handheld.
    --Access and Manage Facebook Phone Book - the ability to view friends phone numbers, request friends phone numbers, publish your phone number and even add these to your BlackBerry address book.
    --Facebook Birthday and BlackBerry Calendar Link - the ability to automatically import & link friends birthdays in to the BlackBerry Calendar as part of the Facebook Friend List linking
    --Facebook Event Calendar and Blackberry Calendar Link - the ability to save Facebook events into the BlackBerry Calendar. Facebook events will be differentiated by a different color and an event reminder notification may be set up.

Okay.. Hmm.. What else.

VZ Navigator- Great. Even though I was in store, told me direct location, just as it should. Should be the same on all verizon phones.

Dont forget its a phone. Call clarity.. Great. THe one I used has this nifty thing where it beeped every couple minutes to let you know how many minutes you were on the phone...

For the fast typers however, you will lose a couple WPM's when it comes to typing. Until you figure out how to type faster on it. Gets a lil while to get used to. Where as the buttons on the iphone are like squarish and slim, the Storm off course has the surepress which makes it somewhat superior to type on.

The back of the phone has a metal door.. which picks up heat from your hand too, so you know that with extended use, it'll get hot. (fair warning)

Invest in a privacy screen. $9.99. Decent pricing for a pack of three. Fits on the screen and will protect it. Best investment I can tell you to make.

Visual Voicemail. What i did was blocked my number, called the phone and left a voicemail. A little icon dropped down showing the option to check the message from "unavailable number"... thought this was tight since I dont have an instinct of an Iphone... so I'll be getting it for my Storm. It's 2.99 a month.

So... Thats my initial review until I personally get MINE tomorrow. I spent about thirty minutes with the phone. People came up behind me, and I kindly told them to go over to the other demo. I dont play that.

11-21-08 02:48 PM
    Nice review! Can't wait for mine!!
    11-21-08 02:54 PM
    one second delay on the accelerometer?? the one I tested today was running the same OS but the delay was between 3 and 4 seconds. The touch screen is a disgrace to RIM. I thought the iPhone keyboard was board... the Storm is even worse. No wifi, no 3G, $520 out the door, come on.

Don't get me wrong, if you don't type more than a couple messages per day and you like to watch movies on your blackberry then it's a great phone, but for powerusers there is no substitute for the Bold.
    11-21-08 03:10 PM
    "...So miss me with the g1/Iphone comparisons...."

im gonna start using that
    11-21-08 03:11 PM
    While a software upgrade or two will make the device even better, I can certainly live with the Storm as-is. Coming from a Treo 650 I guess it isn't that hard.

I simply love it thus far and can't wait to get home and really start chomping away at it. Best wishes for a safe delivery for those waiting.
    11-21-08 03:18 PM
    one second delay on the accelerometer?? the one I tested today was running the same OS but the delay was between 3 and 4 seconds. The touch screen is a disgrace to RIM. I thought the iPhone keyboard was board... the Storm is even worse. No wifi, no 3G, $520 out the door, come on.

Don't get me wrong, if you don't type more than a couple messages per day and you like to watch movies on your blackberry then it's a great phone, but for powerusers there is no substitute for the Bold.
    How can you say there is no 3G? It runs on the EVDO nework... or is there no 3G support while on GSM Internationally?
    11-21-08 03:24 PM
    Nice review. I didn't know you had to pay for visual voice mail, but then again why wouldn't Verizon charge you? LOL!
    11-21-08 03:26 PM
    Nice review. I didn't know you had to pay for visual voice mail, but then again why wouldn't Verizon charge you? LOL!
    Lol of course. Only thing you get free from Verizon is the receipt.
    11-21-08 03:30 PM

no 3G? seriously, are you kidding? doesn't sound like you've done much research. Just because they don't call it 3G, EVDO is a 3g technology.

Don't get me wrong, I bought one and I'm not very high on it, I sure wouldn't trade my Bold for it, but at least get your facts straight.
    11-21-08 03:31 PM
    the accelerometer delay is definitely more than 1 sec. 2 to 3 if it recognizes it at all.

typing: honestly after using it all day since this morning. it's fine but not mind boggling great. after a while you'll realize it's limitation by being just one button.

with a keyboard and even the iphone. you don't necessarily have to pick up one finger before you put the other finger down. with the storm, you do. otherwise the button won't register.

it took me half the morning to force myself to make distinct pushes on the screen to make sure each letter registered.
    11-21-08 03:33 PM
    Took a shower - got all cleaned up - had very, very clean and dry hands and fingers - live in Denver so it's very dry here. So off to the Verizon kiosk in a Circuit City store to try out the keyboard; I type a lot of messages so that was my main curiosity with the new Storm - - much easier to type on than the iPhone, but not as fast or accurate as the BlackBerrys with physical QWERTY keyboards - I know it may have a little learning "Curve" to it, but as the OP said if you type a lot it may not be for you, but if you don't then it is certainly a cool phone. OK, back to the clean, dry fingers - - I left the store and my fingers were all greasy and yukky from working with the touch screen after so many others had used it before me - GROSS!! If you get one don't let everyone in the office try it out, they'll just get it all gooey and messy for you! I could hardly wait to find a restroom and wash my hands - I wouldn't touch my Curve until I got all cleaned up again!!

Acctually I must admit it was a pretty cool phone and a lot of nice features, the keyboard is much, much better than iPhone, so to all those getting it - Enjoy! I am an Old Dawg and I can't deal with touch screen phones, so I'll just stick to a Curve or a Bold. I am glad to see that RIM has a choice of both now - good for the company's future
    11-21-08 03:44 PM
    Thanks for the review
    11-21-08 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD