ok, so for those of you who dont know my story, i decided on an omnia over a storm for a christmas present last year. [dont ask me why...] and ever since, ive absolutely hated it. the unresponsive touch screen, winmo, low res screen, blah blah blah...so i work, and i asked my father to let me buy a storm at retail or to say my omnia broke and ask them for a 2 yr contract price on a storm instead, which was suggested to me by a VZW rep here on crackberry. At first he said he will think about it, then he said no because I have to "stick to my decisions. it sucked...anyway he said maybe for my birthday. this was about 3 months ago. My bday was last wednesday [april 15- tax day, and at 10:40AM, which is a tax form!] and he said he will pay $100 and i will have to pay the rest. Heres the deal that i was offered: storm "on sale" for $200, no contract extension [im not due] or "upgrade credit [not due] Plus im trading in my omnia for $115. Thats $85 for a brand new storm. [My dads paying $100 so im paying nothing!] I will prob pay for activation and a case. I think thats pretty awesome! So im going tomorrow morning to pick it up. Already have the .122/5.0 hybrid on my comp ready to update it.
    I cant wait
    04-18-09 08:32 PM
    I have used BB's since 2003 but have strayed once or twice and have always come running back. Enjoy!
    04-18-09 08:34 PM
    You could have sold the Omnia on ebay for over $400.00. I know because I sold mine on there last month.
    04-18-09 08:44 PM
    You could have sold the Omnia on ebay for over $400.00. I know because I sold mine on there last month.
    yup

Another thing if this was such a sweet deal for $85 how come you still had your dad cough up the dough when you were ready to pay the difference? I think taking responsibilities for your decisions was shot down right there buddy

Have fun with the new Storm though
    04-18-09 09:03 PM
    Why would you pay for activation when you already have an account with VZW?
    04-19-09 12:41 AM
    I too strayed from the blackberry storm but I am back now and loving it!
    04-19-09 01:42 AM
    I got my Blackberry from Wal-Mart for 100 bucks and after 4 months I send in a copy of my bill along with the serial number from the original box the storm came in and they refund me. I believe you still can get the blackberry for free on wal-mart.com. Only thing is you have to activate it.
    04-19-09 06:14 AM
    Why would you pay for activation when you already have an account with VZW?
    i'm pretty sure all the carriers will charge some fee for activating the phone, around here it's usually $35.
    04-19-09 07:22 AM
    are you like- 15?
    04-19-09 09:44 AM
    OK, so here's how this shrewd newbie did it:

Note: Was with AT&T for less than a year, so was to incur the $175 contract cancellation fee. Wife also on that account, but for over 2 years, so no penalty on her cancellation.

1. Went to Verizon and got the Buy 1 Get 1 Storm for $199, with plans for each (I'm down $199)

2. Incurred the $175 AT&T early contract cancellation fee (I'm down $374)

4. Sold my unlocked AT&T Tilt on eBay for $205, thus recouping cost of 2 Storms (Now I'm down $169)

5. Sold my wife's unlocked Palm Treo 680 on eBay for $175 (I'm up $6)

6. Paid for an online unlocking of the Storm for $20 (Now I'm down $14)

7. Sold the unlocked Storm on eBay for $445 (I'm up $431)

8. Bought my wife a Verizon Razr on eBay for $50, and then transferred the second new Verizon account to that phone for a $35 activation fee (I'm up $346!)

So, I ended the whole thing with a free Storm, a free Razr, and $346 in my now-fat pocket.

I rock.
    04-19-09 10:55 AM
    ^ thats quite a first post on Crack Berry if I've ever seen one
    04-19-09 11:45 AM

Note: Was with AT&T for less than a year, so was to incur the $175 contract cancellation fee. Wife also on that account, but for over 2 years, so no penalty on her cancellation.

1. Went to Verizon and got the Buy 1 Get 1 Storm for $199, with plans for each (I'm down $199)

4. Sold my unlocked AT&T Tilt on eBay for $205, thus recouping cost of 2 Storms (Now I'm down $169)

8. Bought my wife a Verizon Razr on eBay for $50, and then transferred the second new Verizon account to that phone for a $35 activation fee (I'm up $346!)

So, I ended the whole thing with a free Storm, a free Razr, and $346 in my now-fat pocket.

I rock.
    Don't you have to return the new storm if you cancel your contract early?
    04-19-09 12:04 PM
    He didn't cancel the second storm contract, he merely transferred it to a lowly Razr. Vzw still has the 2yr contract signed so they could care less.

Oh, btw they shouldn't have charged $35 to activate the razr. *228 option #3 will do it right from the handset that you want to put your # on.
    04-19-09 12:12 PM
    No... They only charge you the early termination fee.
    04-19-09 12:12 PM
    No... They only charge you the early termination fee.
    Oh wow.. I guess Verizon has a different policy. Doesn't that mean you can just sign a new contract with a high price phone and make money off that?
    04-19-09 12:23 PM
    been there done that. for some reason people eat up contract-free phones on ebay at ridiculous prices. im sure they do it so they dont have to sign a contract with verizon. we just added a 3rd bb line for my daughter, got her a curve for next to nothing, and sold her lg dare for $295 on there. ive been with every carrier out there and alltel had the best coverage until verizon merged with em, bought em out, whatever the politically correct term is. now you cant beat verizons coverage area. and with the new friends and family plan and all the new verizon customers from the sale/merger basically you can call anyone for free so to me it was worth it to renew my contract and buy 2 storms for $200 rather than paying a ridiculous amount for one.
    04-19-09 01:28 PM
    Already have the .122/5.0 hybrid on my comp ready to update it.
    I cant wait
    umh...i have not seen that one....care to share?
    04-19-09 02:14 PM

I rock.
    You actually started at the wrong point in your story. It should have started like this....

1. Last year, I bought an AT&T Tilt for X (down X)

2. Two years ago, I bought a Palm Treo 680 for Y (down X+Y).

3. Went to Verizon and got the Buy 1 Get 1 Storm for $199, with plans for each (I'm down X+Y+$199).....

...and so on.

Since you added the sell value of your old phones to the formula....you have to include their buy cost, too. Sure you likely still come out ahead...just not as sweet as you may believe.
    04-19-09 03:11 PM
    Treo and Tilt were free from a cousin who worked at AT&T store, so I am stylin' and profilin' just as advertised. Upgraded my os to .122 already and have found it to be smoking!
    04-19-09 04:37 PM
    ok scratch that its complicated, again....My dad misunderstood them and they were talking about a 2yr contract price $199...They tried to get me to pay $600+ plus trade in my phone for $44...I told them I checked online and it said $115 and she said she just got off the phone with her boss and its $44 trade in value. My omnia has NO scratches on the screen. A few minor scratches elsewhere. And I couldnt sell it on ebay because my dad doesnt like me on ebay...****....
    So after leaving, pissed, because I wasnt about to pay $600+ for a phone, I thought of something else. If I cancel my line, [and the contract] there will be a fee of $95. Then I open a line with a storm at $199 2yr price. So after trade in, the storm would be about $185 with tax. Then $150 billed to my dads phone bill for the cancellation fee, and activation fee, which I would give him because he already struggles to pay $170/month for out two phones. [I have the data plan and we we both have unlimited txt] And, i offered to give him $70 a month to help with the bill.[I was giving him $20, most of the extra $30/month] Then he got really aggravated, smoked like a pack of cigs, and right as we are about to do this deal, leave and tell them we will be back. I have no idea when we will be back if we will be back...He told me he is so pissed he is considering making me activate my old flip phone instead to lower the bill to under $100/month. Somehow hes being charged $70 more, rather than just the $30 extra for the data plan. Wish me luck lol.

so in the end, he would pay $100 toward the storm, i would pay the other $85. And give him around $150 when the bill comes in for the line cancellation and new line activation fees...
    This is pissing me of and REALLY pissing my dad off...
    PLUS, I have to get a new phone number and somehow alert my entire phonebook......ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Last edited by insanebinky; 04-19-09 at 06:43 PM.
    04-19-09 06:39 PM
    You're a spoiled brat. I just had to get that off my chest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 06:55 PM

Lmao. I agree. Your DAD is paying most of the bill and already having a hard time. Why don't you get your own plan and quit crying.

04-19-09 06:59 PM

Lmao. I agree. Your DAD is paying most of the bill and already having a hard time. Why don't you get your own plan and quit crying.

wooooowwwww. hold on now.... I am a little spoiled but i only turned 16 a few days ago....i cant get my own plan. so uh, yea, just had to get that off my chest!

any positive suggestions anybody?
    04-19-09 07:01 PM
    And btw I have 4 phones on my plan and 2 are blackberries and my total bill only comes out to a little over $200 so you may want to take a real good look at your bill and find out why its so high w/ only 2 phones. I have unlimited text and 1400 minutes as well as 2 unlimited data plans.

04-19-09 07:07 PM
    ^^wow they told my father thats the lowest he could possibly get with 700 min unlim txt and 1 unlim data plan...i hate when phone companies just want the extra buck and somehow find a way....
    04-19-09 07:43 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD