For those in Chicago, Verizon is doing a hands on with the Storm on the plaza at 401 N. Michigan.
    They have a couple reps walking around with the devices mostly just showing it to people explaining the features. After chatting them with a little bit, I was able to get my hands on one for about 5 minutes. Here are my impressions:

Size/Form Factor: Very nice. As you've probably seen on the web, its smaller than the iphone and has a great feel to it. Solid build, but not heavy as I've read on some reviews of the device.

Display: Lacks the 'pop' of my bold, but the screen is very large and still a great display. I didn't get to see any movie clips on the storm, but I imagine the phone would work as a great movie player on an airplane.

Touchscreen: I liked that to select an item, you have to physically push on the screen. Having your finger on an item will highlight it, then you lightly push to select that. Some of the reviews I've read mentioned a 'click' sensation when touching it which to me implied you would have to press harder than you actually do. A light press on a button does the trick.

Keyboard: I was only able to type a sentence or two of an email, and the touchscreen will take a little getting used to (especially coming from the great buttons on the Bold). That isn't to say its bad; in fact, I bet within a day of playing with the storm I would be just as fast as I am with a physical keyboard, but there will be a short trial and error period. I am a huge fan of the ability to type QWERTY in landscape mode or SureType on Potrait. One of my complaints with the Bold is that its width does not make it easy to type one-handed. This is very easy to do with the Storm (like a larger keypad on an 8100) and to me, a very nice feature. Well done RIM.

Other impressions: There was a little lag when flipping between portrait and landscape. Same as you've seen in some video reviews. Back cover felt like it was made of metal (not sure if it really is) but if so, that should prevent the scratches that are so prevalent on Pearls and Curves. In summary, this seems like it can be a very capable device once they get some minor bugs worked out. The rep there mentioned that she has been using one for the past two weeks, and they have been getting software updates every 5 days or so; according to her, she doesn't see how they can release a final version for 2 or 3 more weeks.
    11-07-08 11:47 AM
    thanks sounds like what the others have said as well. I was thinking the same thing about flipping because in all the videos it seemed that way as well.
    11-07-08 11:52 AM
    well three weeks would put it at the 23ish so that makes sense but thanks ! good review !
    11-07-08 11:53 AM
    Nice write up.
    11-07-08 11:56 AM
    did you get a chance to use the web browser?
    11-07-08 11:57 AM
    Yes they back end is made of metal =). But even if they can't release the final version of the phone in 2-3 weeks doesn't necessarily mean the phone won't get released. I highly doubt they'd push this out after Black Friday. It might just end up that the OS they will send it out with may be a little buggy, and then we will get an update soon after release.
    11-07-08 11:58 AM
    Unfortunately I did not use the web browser. I was really focused on the keyboard/typing, and didn't open that up. Wish I could have spent more time with it, but the reps seemed reluctant to let people use them for too long.
    11-07-08 11:59 AM
    I'm right by there. Do you have any idea how long this is supposed to last? Is it open to the public?
    11-07-08 12:13 PM
    it is open to the public, they have one of those booths that you get locked into and a fan blows around a bunch of pieces of paper, some with prizes on them. They were also giving away IOUs for the Storm. And if you have to wait in line, some of the Verizon girls are pretty nice to look at.
    11-07-08 12:18 PM
    it is open to the public, they have one of those booths that you get locked into and a fan blows around a bunch of pieces of paper, some with prizes on them. They were also giving away IOUs for the Storm. And if you have to wait in line, some of the Verizon girls are pretty nice to look at.
    Nice. On my way right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 12:47 PM
    Back cover IS metal with 2 release buttons.. one on either side, so both need to be pressed.. since cover is metal will bend if both button are not pressed
    11-07-08 01:37 PM
    I see you are a Bold so also an ATT customer. Would you switch services for the Storm
    11-08-08 10:08 AM
    @kenwolf
    I'm guessing he's considering it or he was just checking out the competition :-)
    11-08-08 10:12 AM
    From my perspective the suretype in portrait mode is a major negative. I use the Curve and have no problem typing one handed at all. Having to flip to portrait, which I find to be a PITA, is not something I want to engage. What I'd like to see is a slightly bigger screen on the Bold. Having a landscape VGA type display has never been a good solution on a handheld device and wish someone would be able to find a way to optimize the dimensions. After hearing all this it sounds as if waiting for the next version of the Curve to arrive in May or June might not be a bad thing. The only negative for current Curve owners is that awful browser. I wonder how much better (if marginal) this one is.
    11-08-08 12:10 PM
    I know the touchscreen is something i will have to test out with these thoughts of using my fat fingers and smudges, doesnt make it sound too appealing
    11-08-08 05:58 PM
    I know the touchscreen is something i will have to test out with these thoughts of using my fat fingers and smudges, doesnt make it sound too appealing
    I seriously wouldn't worry about your "fat fingers." The Storm's keyboard "buttons" are 6X the size of a standard Blackberry's physical keyboard.
    11-08-08 07:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD