So I downloaded http://www.spampeg.com/Accelerometer...ometerDemo.jad and come to find out my accelerometer is way off. It's bias towards the right. When laying the phone on the desk I have to lift the right side of the phone up about 5mm to get the ball not roll to the right. Anyone else have an accelerometer that is this off? By the way I tried this on a desk that was tested to be level. Keep in mind that is doesn't affect the use of the phone now, but if I was ever to buy a game that uses the accelerometer I would be screwed.
    Last edited by Crackafied; 01-20-09 at 03:45 PM.
    01-20-09 03:43 PM
    the storm doesn't lay level. the rubber things on one side would cause this.....
    01-20-09 03:51 PM
    yeah it will never be even, but the accelometer works as well on this device as it does for the I Phone or Dare
    01-20-09 03:52 PM
    the storm doesn't lay level. the rubber things on one side would cause this.....
    That would cause the up and down to be off. The left to right is off on mine. Can some test there's to see how much the accelerometer is off when it come to left and right. Like I said my is very bias to the right and have to lift the right side of the phone about 5mm to keep the ball from moving to the right.
    01-20-09 04:02 PM
    yup, the rubber bumps around the speaker does not let it lay flat
    01-20-09 04:03 PM
    Yes but like I said above that would cause it to be off on the up and down axis. Mine if off on the left to right axis.
    01-20-09 04:05 PM
    first of all, what orientation is your phone in? that would depend on the right/left of it, and i wouldn't lay it on any surface.....it's not really meant to work while sitting on a table. pick it up, if it goes where you want it then it's fine
    01-20-09 04:06 PM
    n/a

I got sidetracked and took too long to reply, and the rubber feet have already been mentioned.
    Last edited by spampeg; 01-20-09 at 04:15 PM. Reason: no longer useful
    01-20-09 04:13 PM
    The link posted in the first post of this thread, what is it for, everytime I click it, it asks me to open or save, but I want to know what it is first.
    01-20-09 04:17 PM
    first of all, what orientation is your phone in? that would depend on the right/left of it, and i wouldn't lay it on any surface.....it's not really meant to work while sitting on a table. pick it up, if it goes where you want it then it's fine
    Portrait, it goes where I want it, but to keep the ball from rolling right I have to seriously hold the right side of the phone up. I will try to get a picture tonight to show how off it is.
    01-20-09 04:20 PM
    The link posted in the first post of this thread, what is it for, everytime I click it, it asks me to open or save, but I want to know what it is first.
    Go to the link using your BB Browser. It's an application to show the sensitivity of your accelerometer.
    01-20-09 04:33 PM
    You are wrongly assuming that RIM adjusted the preset tripping points to go from portrait to landscape without taking this bias into account. My phone is off as well, which has to due to the variability of how and in what orientation the accelerometer chip is placed in the phone relative to the overall orientation. Bottom line, don't freak out because some random ball demo doesn't quite work how you would expect.

To soothe your worries further, I have DLed a new Tilt to Kill marble game and it uses the accelerometer and it appears to be much more accurate than the demo in terms of correct flat orientation.
    01-20-09 05:03 PM
    You are wrongly assuming that RIM adjusted the preset tripping points to go from portrait to landscape without taking this bias into account. My phone is off as well, which has to due to the variability of how and in what orientation the accelerometer chip is placed in the phone relative to the overall orientation. Bottom line, don't freak out because some random ball demo doesn't quite work how you would expect.

To soothe your worries further, I have DLed a new Tilt to Kill marble game and it uses the accelerometer and it appears to be much more accurate than the demo in terms of correct flat orientation.

Thanks Dibs for the info. Have a link for the game?
    01-20-09 06:12 PM
    I installed Storm Level Pro and when I calibrated it, it was already spot on. Are you sure the program isn't flawed or that your desk isn't leaning? Maybe get a true bubble level and check it that way?
    01-20-09 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD