I am in my 30 days and on my 3rd. I am new to BB, ... but not to Verizon. If I am going to pay nearly $170 a month (unlimited minutes, texts, ins. and tax) I want a phone that is at least consistent and functional.. Goodgrief.

I really like the storm in concept. Being new the keyboard and basis of email and phone and text all in one is awesome. But as the days go by I am increasingly frustrated with the typical stuff: Lag, inconsistent performance, and quality control issues.

I am down to this: If I return for a fourth I assume I will get another phone needing paper behind the battery, no consistency on email and text notifications, struggling VVM, and the gap around the screen. So should I? Or should I just give up and re-visit this phone another day?

What I really want to know is: do any of you have a phone out of the box that is proper? That gap/light leak around the screen in the dark is ridiculous, and the paper trick is pathetic for the typing assistance, and it is like playing roulette when I push buttons to see what will happen next, and I can not get the red star notifications for messages to work.

I have the leaked.75 and the official .75. I really don't know which one is on the phone.

I'm tired of compromise. Are their good storms out there? Is this typical for BB and Verizon and I should just be patient? I hate to go back to my flip-phone piece of crap now that I have tasted what is really out there.. HELP.

I'm gonna go watch the iphone v storm video--
    12-10-08 09:43 AM
    I didn't know that there was a lot of light leakage beneath the screen in the gap... that sure is disappointing.
    12-10-08 09:46 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/top...-storm-112669/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    somehow it doesn't seem fair that you are on your 3rd storm, and I have yet to receive my 1st :P
    I would go back to another BB and wait for them to release an updated Storm (hopefully with a trackball and no more of this goofy push-in floating screen business, but just a normal touchscreen instead.)
    12-10-08 09:49 AM
    Mine has been fine so far. There is the "gap" but I belive all the phones have that, and honestly it's doesn't bother me at all. My keyboard is great, no dead spots, and I still have the factory screen protector on it. I had a few (very few) random reboots with the .65, but those stopped when i installed the leaked .75 . Haven't tried .76 as I don't feel the need since my phone is working fine. Usually Indon't have this kind of luck, lol
    12-10-08 09:51 AM
    I am in my 30 days and on my 3rd. I am new to BB, ... but not to Verizon. If I am going to pay nearly $170 a month (unlimited minutes, texts, ins. and tax) I want a phone that is at least consistent and functional.. Goodgrief.

I really like the storm in concept. Being new the keyboard and basis of email and phone and text all in one is awesome. But as the days go by I am increasingly frustrated with the typical stuff: Lag, inconsistent performance, and quality control issues.

I am down to this: If I return for a fourth I assume I will get another phone needing paper behind the battery, no consistency on email and text notifications, struggling VVM, and the gap around the screen. So should I? Or should I just give up and re-visit this phone another day?

What I really want to know is: do any of you have a phone out of the box that is proper? That gap/light leak around the screen in the dark is ridiculous, and the paper trick is pathetic for the typing assistance, and it is like playing roulette when I push buttons to see what will happen next, and I can not get the red star notifications for messages to work.

I have the leaked.75 and the official .75. I really don't know which one is on the phone.

I'm tired of compromise. Are their good storms out there? Is this typical for BB and Verizon and I should just be patient? I hate to go back to my flip-phone piece of crap now that I have tasted what is really out there.. HELP.

You probably shouldn't have opted for a brand new technology on the rollout. I am not making excses for RIM (all of this has nothing to do with Verizon). It doesn't sound like you are going to be happy with whatever you get. In my opinion, get a Curve or an 8830 for a while. The thing works like a champ right out of the box. All the bugs have been worked out and you wont have any issues.
    12-10-08 09:51 AM
    somehow it doesn't seem fair that you are on your 3rd storm, and I have yet to receive my 1st :P
    Different allocations for replacements and new orders.
    12-10-08 09:53 AM
    Yeah i noticed light from the sides of the screen when I had mine too.. I'm glad i decided to cancel my phone and plan and stay on my $25 plan with sprint. Maybe if they get the phone working right i'll switch back
    12-10-08 09:54 AM
    My storm was perfect out of the box. None of the issues you mentioned.
    12-10-08 09:54 AM
    The storm I bought off of someone was perfect. No clicking problem or anything but there is dust under the screen.
    12-10-08 09:57 AM

Take it back.

The gap is there to stay. I haven't seen a phone that doesn't have it. If it bothers you enough to be a deal breaker than it is what it is.

For the other issues, the clicking can be fixed with a torx screw (there's a thread floating around about it), no need for business cards/cardboard anymore. Email notifications are reliable. If you aren't getting the notifications, delete and readd the email account until you do. Once it's working right it seems to stay working right unless you change one of the primary settings (email server, etc). The lag is what it is. .75 is not speedy by any stretch of the imagination but it is a significant improvement over .65. What that tells me is they are improving it and there's a good chance it will get nothing but better. The only question is if you can live with it until that happens. You can do some things yourself to help it along but again that requires intervention from you.

Bottom line, the phone needs some tweaking on your end and some love from RIM down the line to make it better. It will never be perfect. No phone is. But if you don't want to do some tweaking yourself and you can't live with the design imperfections (like the gap) then take it back. I haven't found another verizon phone that suits me better so I'm keeping it. At only $150 after NE2, it's more than acceptable for that price in my eyes.
    12-10-08 10:09 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. It is crazy that some people can say they got a good one right out of the box.. I wonder if they would consider mine good?

I seem to have really good luck at the local BestBuy, I think I will try again because I really like the phone. My only other option at Verizon is the old versions and that sucks. I would try the Bold, but that is ATT . ANd I like the touch screen and the click.

I think I'll try another (if in stock) and I'll post here if I got a better one or if it is more of the same...

Honestly, that will be #4. Anybody think I can make it to 5?

I watched the video on the iphone, and I as much as I am an Apple guy, I want my phone to focus on being a hardcore phone and then email/text. All the silly stuff is optional. And that makes me a Blackberry guy.... I cant believe I did not get one sooner. Now I just want quality.

It is 8am here in So. Cal. I think BestBuy opens at 9.

I'll be back....
    12-10-08 10:10 AM
    Take it back.

The gap is there to stay. I haven't seen a phone that doesn't have it. If it bothers you enough to be a deal breaker than it is what it is.

For the other issues, the clicking can be fixed with a torx screw (there's a thread floating around about it), no need for business cards/cardboard anymore. Email notifications are reliable. If you aren't getting the notifications, delete and readd the email account until you do. Once it's working right it seems to stay working right unless you change one of the primary settings (email server, etc). The lag is what it is. .75 is not speedy by any stretch of the imagination but it is a significant improvement over .65. What that tells me is they are improving it and there's a good chance it will get nothing but better. The only question is if you can live with it until that happens. You can do some things yourself to help it along but again that requires intervention from you.

Bottom line, the phone needs some tweaking on your end and some love from RIM down the line to make it better. It will never be perfect. No phone is. But if you don't want to do some tweaking yourself and you can't live with the design imperfections (like the gap) then take it back. I haven't found another verizon phone that suits me better so I'm keeping it. At only $150 after NE2, it's more than acceptable for that price in my eyes.
    Hey, thanks. You are very right. I am really a fan of the phone. I just needed a hug. I do not recall the gap like this on my other 2, but I will certainly look for it now. If that is just the way it is made than I will not worry about it. It just seemed like flaw to me.

I think I will try to exchange for a fresh one. Do the upgrade and torque screw and see what happens.

I had a nightmare of transition on the last one (#3). Email and VVM did not work for days.. If that happens again---> Its over Johnny.
    12-10-08 10:15 AM
    Mine's been perfect out of the box... There is an annoying (slightly less than perfect) light leak. And there are a few bugs like being able to mute the phone with your cheek and what not but other than that the phone works flawlessly since .75. No lag no slowdowns just a great phone.
    12-10-08 10:18 AM
    You probably shouldn't have opted for a brand new technology on the rollout.
    AMEN!!! I've said that so many times yet people always jump on me for saying it
    12-10-08 10:20 AM
    Just return it and get a Curve. Excellent, reliable phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 10:23 AM
    I would go back to another BB and wait for them to release an updated Storm (hopefully with a trackball and no more of this goofy push-in floating screen business, but just a normal touchscreen instead.)
    That is just silly... there will be new generations, I get that... but its a touchscreen with a wipe, what do you need a trackball for? They will never put a trackball on the Storm. And the click screen is amazing...

OP - For the record, I have no issues that you mentioned, I guess its just luck of the draw, I love this thing and .75 is working flawlessy.
    12-10-08 10:26 AM
    I returned one phone, but my second is a gem. no issues with lag since the .75 update and no issues with anything else.

The gap is going to be there regardless. The screen is a button and in order for any button to be pressed it needs to have some room, hence the gap. Look at your old flip phone, each button has a gap around it.

I am loving this phone more and more everyday. It has it's faults and like some others have said, no phone is perfect.

RIM will make good by putting out some updates to fix most of these other issues. More and more apps will be available as developers work on them and that will make this phone better and better as time goes on.

I use this phone for business as well and e-mails have been flawless. Calendar is OK, and I will wait for something better. Themes are just around the corner so that will also make this phone better.

If you want to return and wait for these things to happen, then go ahead. I am in for the long haul.
    12-10-08 10:33 AM
    I find it hard to believe anyone could get 4 storms in a row that are hardware related bad units. I would bet that there will be some software updates that will soon fix most of the problems. The few problems people are reporting about the gap and light leaks are not going to change by returning the phone, they are all made from the same parts so 30 days will not change anything.

Do what you like but I think you are wasting your time as well as verizons, IMHO. We need to give them the time to fix the OS or get another proven phone with all the bugs worked out. I have my first storm and am sticking with it. I had them note my account that I had a few problems and that I would be returning it if they don't get things worked out.
    12-10-08 10:49 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. It is crazy that some people can say they got a good one right out of the box.. I wonder if they would consider mine good?
    My answer to that is probably yes...You are probably being overly critical (which is your right) and honestly I don't think number 4, 5, or 6 is going to make you happy either....go get an 8830....trust me...it's SOLID as a rock, very well made....no gaps, no squeeks, easy to type, etc....
    12-10-08 10:56 AM
    I ordered my third one last week. I am asking myself a similar question. If this one does not work out do I go for a fourth one? I think I will unless:

1. I find out the niagra release date is soon.
    2. I find out the gen 2 of the storm is being released soon.

I am addicted to the touch screen. I find myself pressing on other devices that are not touch screens.... It is sad
    12-10-08 10:59 AM
    I've had my problems but I am willing to let it ride and use my warranty if I have to. Once the hype is over I will look further into getting it replaced.
    12-10-08 11:00 AM
    I just got 1st replacement and same prob ... 2nd replacement ordered. I'll prob try at least one or two more after that.

If we get to 5, I'll just stick with the Torx fix. B/c after, honestly, the phone is perfect. I just don't find it fair that they can't figure out the problem and give customers a working version yet magically every in-store demo came from a manufacturing batch that works every time.

** Just 'cause I think its funny everytime, this CS rep confirmed they are encouraged to use Crackberry as a resource
    12-10-08 11:11 AM
    how are you getting the replacements so fast? i just got my first replacement and it took a week to get it between ordering it at the store and waiting for it to ship.

does the verizon center in best buys do replacements as well? it seems like they have stuff in stock while the verizon corp stores do not.

my advice is to try and get a phone with hardware that you are happy with as the software can always be updated. try the torx fix as well, it works wonders
    12-10-08 11:13 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD