Hi All, this is my first post. Sorry that it is a bit long.

I have just bought a Storm 2 (9520) which was originally branded Vodafone Italy, now cracked. I bought it new (supposedly) from a mobile shop (with invoice and warranty papers).

I live in Budapest, Hungary, where Vodafone plans to introduce the Storm 2 in June, the earliest. So I had no other choice.

But things start to really **** me off. It is ridiculous that I can't access BB app world. I can't imagine how RIM plans to compete with Apple or Nokia with such support. I know that Hungary is not a huge market for them, but still... Let alone that I have to install Windows onto my Macbook Pro only to be able to load programs or update software.

Just after I started using the device, I found that after it gets a bit hotter the 4 buttons in the bottom become unclickable. I searched the web and found that the one screw that doesn't void the warranty should be loosened up a bit. Well, it didn't work for me.

Then, I realized that Maps, App World are on the list in Options/applications "add ons", but I can't access them in the menu (they are not hidden, either). I tried to uninstall and reinstall them, with no results whatsoever.

To top it off. I ordered BB service for my account. I got the SMS from Vodafone that the service has been activated. I went to their website to create and account. After typing in the PIN and IMEI of the device, I got the following answer:"Invalid PIN or IMEI format". I tried it a couple of times more, then got: "Your BB account has been suspended. Please, turn to your service provider, etc.". Meanwhile, I got a message to my device from BB saying "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network."

I contacted Vodafone technical support, where I have most likely spoken with each and every employee. Of course, after asking me to repeat the story a hundred times, they couldn't help. They offered, that they would contact BB and then would get back to me.

So, after 4 days of usage, I can say that there are two things I cannot do with my device:
    1. I can't use it as a phone, because, from time to time the bottom buttons turn unclickable and I can't hang up calls. I already left pretty long messages in my friends voice mails. Eventually, I had to switch off the device to hang up a call.
    2. I can't use it for emails as BB service doesn't work.

Exactly the 2 things I bought the Storm 2 for.

Can anyone give me some advice? I would really appreciate it. I have come from Iphone and read many reviews, etc, and eventually decided for Storm 2. Though, I am having second thoughts now.

thanks
    adam
    Last edited by adamcs; 01-30-10 at 09:06 AM.
    01-30-10 09:04 AM
    Does vodaphone offer a BB locally (branded and locked)? If so, find a way to return the Storm and get thjat. It will make your life much easier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 09:08 AM
    Next time buy the phone from your service provider, gives u all the power in the world.

1) U unlocked ur bb? What's the vendor id on it? Call the vendor, make sure that they released the imei(esn)/pin on the phone, then log into vodaphone's bis website and swap device into ur newly unlocked storm2.

2) Ur service is not providing u with the right service books. Bb maps is blocked by AT&T here in the states and there are hundred and hundreds of forums on how to get it working on any bb.

3) I was under the impression that app world only worked in the states as we are testing the program out. So get in line.

4) I can't help u with the touchscreen issues, that's kinda why I have a full keyboard and don't have to worry about it.

Sorry for ur problems, if u want ur bb to work, it can. Don't load the phone with open apps and keep the brightness low to conserve battery and heat.

01-30-10 09:14 AM
    Thanks for the fast response.

I didn't unlock the phone, I bought it unlocked (I have no idea about service books, as I am a 1.0 BB user, this is my first BB device)

As I said, Vodafone doesn't offer it in this country (God knows why, as they are actually assembled in Hungary), that is why I didn't buy it from them.

I bought my Iphone from an Apple Store in NYC and never had problems with it.

App world is available in Austria for example, which is the neighboring country and also a member of the EU.

I want my BB to work and I don't mind if I have to work around it, but it seems to be too much of a hassle (especially with the touchscreen).
    01-30-10 09:46 AM
    Are you sure it is unlocked?
    01-30-10 09:47 AM
    If it is a Vodafone Italy device and I use it in Hungary (Hungarian Vodafone) then I suppose it is.
    01-30-10 09:50 AM
    How exactly is the bb "cracked"?

01-30-10 10:15 AM
    OKAY.

Obviously, I have no idea. When I bought my Iphone, I could crack it without any problems and unlock it, too.

They told me it was cracked, but as I said I don't have a clue about BB devices. I always wanted one so I bought this instead of the Iphone 3gs. It may have been a mistake, but I'd like my Storm 2 to work properly.

I thought I had done a thorough research before making the purchase, but I seem to find a lot more disappointed owners than earlier. It is pretty worrying.

Where can I get the right service books? As the Storm 2 is not sold by Vodafone Hungary (only Storm 1), I don't know how to get them.
    01-30-10 10:32 AM
    Service books for the Storm 1 should be similar if not the same for the Storm2. Have Vodafone send the Storm 1 service books to your phone.
    01-30-10 12:56 PM
    sounds like you got a bb with a locked pin, if that is the case talk to that place that sold you the device. It seem to have a locked pin or IMEI.

If your phone does have a locked pin and IMEI then it was reported to be a stolen device and no matter what you won't be able to use it, unless the original owner fixed the problem for you.
    01-30-10 01:02 PM
    Here's some advice. Wait until its released in your country.

01-30-10 01:08 PM
    That is what I suspect, too. Although, I thought that if it is a stolen device nobody would give me an official invoice with it and also thought that I wouldn't be able to use it on GSM networks either.

Anyway, I'll return the handheld and will have it replaced with a new one.
    01-30-10 01:10 PM
    Don't give up Adam! When it runs properly, the storm 2 is a fantastic device

01-30-10 01:19 PM
    So... the cracked thing you were talking about in relation to the iPhone I assume means that you could load up any software you wanted and didn't have go by apple's rules anymore. If this is true, then yes, all blackberrys are cracked so the sales man wasn't lying. Unlike Apple however, Blackberry gives you free reign on the apps, themes, and OS version you install without having to do anything to the device. This is different from unlocking the device.

From the sounds of things you may still have to actually unlock the device from Vodafone Italy. Although many carriers sell phones that are branded as unlocked, many times what they actually mean is that they are off contract. The device ID will still be locked to the carrier that you bought it from. You should reference this page to see if your device is actually unlocked or not:
    How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

If your blackberry is unlocked, then I'm sorry I don't know what to say... but if it isn't, then you can reference this page to get an unlock code so that you can use it on other carriers:
    How do I unlock my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

That should hopefully solve your network problems based on the errors you are getting. As for the unclickable buttons, I would load up the latest leaked device software from these forums. Assuming your device currently has the initial release OS 5.0.0.3##, loading up the most recent OS will fix a lot of "bugs". Also, I'm not sure if the desktop software for Mac is available in Hungary yet, but you can try this link to find out:
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Hope you can get yours to work, it's a great device. I've been enjoying mine since the day it came out.
    Last edited by aeroPM; 01-31-10 at 01:42 PM. Reason: misprint
    01-31-10 01:36 PM
    Ohh dude it was a big mistake to buy unofficial blackberry without any BB experience. Well I did exactly the same I purchased my 9520 from one guy who tried to make it working correctly for a couple of weeks and then just gave it up for a Droid. So mine is from Wind Mobile (italy) and I had the same issue with registering of my device.

So what you have to do is to go to local Vodafon office and ask them to activate BIS at your device. As soon as they provide you with all required service books your device will work correctly. In my case they needed to wipe my device that's why backup ur data if u have some.

As far as I understand that AppWorld is only available for carriers who provide BIBS Blackberry Internet Browsing Service.

And remember BB is a very very complicated device and as far as u use unofficial version be ready to face lotsof different problems like that.

01-31-10 02:59 PM
    Ohh dude it was a big mistake to buy unofficial blackberry without any BB experience. Well I did exactly the same I purchased my 9520 from one guy who tried to make it working correctly for a couple of weeks and then just gave it up for a Droid. So mine is from Wind Mobile (italy) and I had the same issue with registering of my device.

So what you have to do is to go to local Vodafon office and ask them to activate BIS at your device. As soon as they provide you with all required service books your device will work correctly. In my case they needed to wipe my device that's why backup ur data if u have some.

To resolve issue with bottom keys you need to update your OS to 428 from Vodafon UK.

As far as I understand that AppWorld is only available for carriers who provide BIBS Blackberry Internet Browsing Service.

And remember BB is a very very complicated device and as far as u use unofficial version be ready to face lotsof different problems like that.

01-31-10 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD