I have been running .99 since the day it came out. I'm not one to jump on every leak. When it ain't broke, I don't fix it. Running on .99 was a huge leap from .75 so I didn't mess with it until last night. I installed .113 and have been impressed. I've seen a ton of people in these forums boast about high 30's memory since I joined, but never had that experience. Well, I've joined the club. Before last night, my phone has always been in the low 20's after a reboot and running in the teens before I knew it. I didn't care, as long as the kept performing, which it did. I also wasn't going to remove apps just for the sake of more memory. My brand new phone should be able to have a lot of apps since it is a 2009 model and all. Well last night after the install I went from the low 20's to high 30's with just the install. Pretty impressive. The only thing I did remove during install was some language stuff that I had missed before.

I've also noticed with .113 that it seems that it has some sort of auto memory management going on. I've seen it at 36, then check later and it was at 30, then check again in a bit and it was back up to 33. Not sure what is going on, but it seems like something is now checking and recovering the leaking memory.

The pictures were another biggie for me. I really couldn't ever effectively scroll through all the pictures I had taken. It would almost always hang, take to long, or something would frustrate me where I would give up. Not any more. I have around 50 pictures on my storm that I have taken with the camera. I went through them effortlessly last night. Was a real treat to finally be able to do this.

I have also seen everyone say that everything is faster. I tend to never believe these reviews either. I did notice the camera though moving along pretty swiftly from shot to shot. Didn't take long at all to take a picture or for it to save it. An improvement for me.

The only thing that did slow down for me was the BES activation. There could be a host of reasons as to why this happened, so it's hard to blame that one on .113.

All in all, I wouldn't be ashamed to have my "iphone brother in law" come over and play with my storm.

Hope my rant helps in some way for others on the fence.
    03-24-09 08:32 AM
    You convinced me
    03-24-09 08:48 AM
    i am currently running .75 on my phone and have never had anything else on it, as i just got my storm last week. is it worth upgrading to .113? thanks for your time. great review.
    03-24-09 08:49 AM
    i am currently running .75 on my phone and have never had anything else on it, as i just got my storm last week. is it worth upgrading to .113? thanks for your time. great review.
    yeah, you really shouldn't be on .75 any more. i would recommend .113 over .99 now.

if you do upgrade, post your thoughts on the difference.
    03-24-09 08:55 AM
    Install .113! Yes it is worth it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 08:56 AM
    its so awesomre! I love 113. Its so fast and issue free for me. Lots of cool little addons here and there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 10:22 AM
    I installed it yesterday and there are obvious improvments, I just wish this was the way it came out of the box.
    03-24-09 10:33 AM
    nobody mentioned the awful color banding on 113...it sucks
    03-24-09 10:37 AM
    explain "color banding" to me.
    03-24-09 10:49 AM
    Yeah, I don't see this color banding issue.

Saw a post that you could see it when you to the Media screen, so I went to mine and thought I saw what they were talking about. Where the screen trasitions from blue to black you can see distinct bands instead of a smooth fade from black to blue.

Only when I look at my wifes storm running the VZW .75 release it had the same thing, so unless it's an issue that popped up in that release I have no idea what the color issue actually is.
    03-24-09 10:57 AM
    Ok, but how many people are coming from the .114 hybrid? Is it much better than that?
    03-24-09 10:57 AM
    Yeah, I don't see this color banding issue.

Saw a post that you could see it when you to the Media screen, so I went to mine and thought I saw what they were talking about. Where the screen trasitions from blue to black you can see distinct bands instead of a smooth fade from black to blue.

Only when I look at my wifes storm running the VZW .75 release it had the same thing, so unless it's an issue that popped up in that release I have no idea what the color issue actually is.
    i think what you are describing is the same way I have heard it. color fading properly on the media screen is a non-issue for me.
    03-24-09 11:09 AM
    I came from the hybrid and this is much better. My phone has been flying since I put 113 on it. Still need to run it a little longer to get a grip on mem leak, batt life, and stability but so far so good.

I don't put much stock in the mem leak thing as I want my storm to use the memory it has. But with the 114 hybrid i would have to batt pull once a day when my free mem would get under 9mb as I would get the clock nonstop. Haven't dipped below 30mb with 113 yet and I can't remember my phone ever staying up that high other than immediately after a pull.

Best yet, easily.
    03-24-09 11:12 AM
    I upgraded to .113 last night from .75. I couldn't tell much difference in performance because .75 was pretty much flawless for me. I just got a text about 6 mins ago and the phone rebooted!! WTF?? I haven't had a random reboot since I got the phone almost 2 weeks ago!! Not happy with the memory leak either. My memory starts out higher than it did with .75 but seems to also leak more too.
    03-24-09 11:20 AM
    it would be nice to have the ability to select more than one picture in media rather than select individual pix to either send or attach to email or to move around. it would save alot of time rather than go back n forth for each pic.
    03-24-09 11:25 AM
    explain "color banding" to me.
    Considering the phone doesn't support super high color levels, when a color "fades," or uses a gradient to go from one color to another, you see it as bands of different colors instead of a smooth transition. I notice it, but I don't really care about all that. It is a bit more noticeable than in .75, but it's possible it's a trade off for the jump in performance. I don't know if these phones do their graphics via hardware or software.

I jumped from .75 to .113 and noticed a pretty significant jump in performance. Everything is faster and smoother. My memory isn't up to 30MB any more, but the phone still performs quickly and smoothly. The change to the accelerometer is nice, it was annoying having to rock the phone around to get the QWERTY keyboard to show up. Browsing is faster, but there still is a bit of keyboard lag when typing. Camera is much quicker, it was impossible to take pics of my spastic dogs, they would move before the shutter would go off (lots of pictures of dog butts).

All in all I'm happy with where it's at.
    03-24-09 11:44 AM
    Camera is much quicker, it was impossible to take pics of my spastic dogs, they would move before the shutter would go off (lots of pictures of dog butts).
    Haha, so true and a lot of profile pics of mine. They think they're models now.
    03-24-09 11:50 AM
    ps. anyone wonder why the leak never made it to the main page of CB?
    03-24-09 11:50 AM
    ps. anyone wonder why the leak never made it to the main page of CB?
    because it's not "official" ?
    03-24-09 11:52 AM
    Considering the phone doesn't support super high color levels, when a color "fades," or uses a gradient to go from one color to another, you see it as bands of different colors instead of a smooth transition. I notice it, but I don't really care about all that. It is a bit more noticeable than in .75, but it's possible it's a trade off for the jump in performance. I don't know if these phones do their graphics via hardware or software.
    great explanation, thanks!
    03-24-09 11:52 AM
    Ah, don't leaks make the front page too though? Haha, sorry I could be talking out of my bum.
    03-24-09 11:54 AM
    Ok, but how many people are coming from the .114 hybrid? Is it much better than that?
    Upgraded from BBcrackman's Ver.2 hybrid (which was quite good in its own right!) and have to say that the .113 leak seems even a bit better. I have never seen that color banding that's constantly talked about , and I've looked hard for it. Memory management has clearly been worked on as I loaded initially with 49MB and after almost 24 hours normal use I'm at 43MB...that's unheard of in any prior build I've tried...and the phone is retaining it's improved speed. No random reboots and everything is well within acceptable limits...way better than .75 ever was.
    03-24-09 12:08 PM
    Exactly, Rocket! That's why I threw in the .90 radio code
    03-24-09 12:11 PM
    because it's not "official" ?
    Most leaks have made the front page of CB.
    03-24-09 12:12 PM
    Upgraded from BBcrackman's Ver.2 hybrid (which was quite good in its own right!) and have to say that the .113 leak seems even a bit better. I have never seen that color banding that's constantly talked about , and I've looked hard for it. Memory management has clearly been worked on as I loaded initially with 49MB and after almost 24 hours normal use I'm at 43MB...that's unheard of in any prior build I've tried...and the phone is retaining it's improved speed. No random reboots and everything is well within acceptable limits...way better than .75 ever was.
    The banding is noticeable on themes that use gradients and mostly in the menu. If you haven't noticed it, I wouldn't bother looking for it.

Wonder what people are running in the background, I'm at ~18 megs. It's still running quickly... probably because I have AIM running and a few chats open.
    03-24-09 12:22 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD