okay, so I have had the storm since the verizon release date. Since the first day up until yesterday, I have been averaging about 12 hours a day until the battery would get down to about 25-30%, just from normal usage throughout the day. Yesterday, I received my seidio holster in the mail, which utilizes the magnetic sleep feature on the storm. I took my phone off the charger at 8:30 this morning, and have been using the same as I have every other day i've had it, except the fact that when not using it, i've been keeping it in the holster. It is now 11:31, and my battery still has 75% life left. Use a holster or case that utilizes the storms magnetic sleep feature, and your battery life should drastically increase. Just my two sense, and i'm sure it doesn't have to be the seidio brand holster, as long as it uses the magnets.
    Last edited by JohnGlad; 12-17-08 at 10:45 PM.
    12-17-08 10:36 PM
    I've seen a bit of an improvement with my case but nothing like that... I'm still seeing about 70 to 80% left after a decent day of use.
    12-17-08 10:40 PM
    Your right, the magnetic sleep feature in any of the cases improves the battery life a great deal. I didn't use the case today have to recharge it. However, when I do use the case the battery can last over two days.
    12-17-08 10:43 PM
    Rimm really needs to make the suspend feature available even if we dont use a case with the magnet. I dont want to make my phone any more bulky by carrying a case around. I just use a blackberry skin case and put it in my pocket.
    12-18-08 01:34 AM
    Rimm really needs to make the suspend feature available even if we dont use a case with the magnet. I dont want to make my phone any more bulky by carrying a case around. I just use a blackberry skin case and put it in my pocket.
    YES!! please RIM let the lock button put the phone (at least an option for it) into sleep mode, and the only way to take it out of sleep mode is to hit the lock key again or a combination to two buttons maybe to prevent accidental unlocks.

I'm not but on cases or holsters or clips, I'm a person that just wants to throw my phone into my pocket.
    12-18-08 01:49 AM
    Great suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For sure!

YES!! please RIM let the lock button put the phone (at least an option for it) into sleep mode, and the only way to take it out of sleep mode is to hit the lock key again or a combination to two buttons maybe to prevent accidental unlocks.

I'm not but on cases or holsters or clips, I'm a person that just wants to throw my phone into my pocket.
    12-18-08 07:14 AM
    After going through two complete drain/recharge cycles, my battery is sitting at 40%. I keep mine in the sleep holster when not in use and it has not been attached to a charger since Sunday evening.

Aside from ripping off the power button upon insertion (freakin' flaw in design), I must say that I approve of having a holster.
    12-18-08 07:43 AM

Great Idea!
    12-18-08 07:46 AM
    The lock button would be an easy way to put it into sleep mode, there should be a way to do this or at the least a 3rd party app. I also dont care for the bulk of a case and use the silicone instead which does not work in a case anyways.......
    12-18-08 07:48 AM
    did your storms not come with a leather blackberry case or sleeve that has the magnet in it? Mine did.
    12-18-08 07:49 AM
    did your storms not come with a leather blackberry case or sleeve that has the magnet in it? Mine did.
    no we got the 8gb micro sd's instead, which i'll take. 50 bucks for 8gb micro sd or 20-35 for a case/holster.
    12-18-08 07:51 AM
    no we got the 8gb micro sd's instead, which i'll take. 50 bucks for 8gb micro sd or 20-35 for a case/holster.
    Mine also has the 8gb card. I guess that is the 'bonus' I get for paying $250 on a 3 year contract.
    12-18-08 07:53 AM
    didnt know the holster was this important.....which one do you guys recommend??
    12-18-08 07:56 AM
    I've used the holster since I've had my Storm and I'm lucky to get a whole 8hrs out of it.
    12-18-08 08:13 AM
    I have the Seidio holster and it has not had any effect on my battery life. At the end of the day, with usual usage (lots of data.....minimal phone usage) my battery is at about 20%.

As long as it still has some charge at the end of the day....that's fine with me. I charge it every night.

And FWIW....the Seidio holster is pretty dang sweet!
    12-18-08 08:30 AM
    i get two full days of battery life pretty easily with moderate use
    12-18-08 08:50 AM
    Also switching mobile network to 1xev from global helped me a ton.
    12-18-08 09:10 AM
    can someone explain what the sleep function does that makes it save energy? from what i can tell.... it turns off the screen and disables the buttons.
    12-18-08 09:16 AM
    Which holster are you guys talking about specifically? There's a magnet inside the holster? And it automatically puts the phone into some sort of sleep mode? Plz explain more for us newbies.
    12-18-08 09:33 AM

It's actually the Mute key holding down that should enter Suspend. This is how other BBs work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 10:22 AM
    Which holster are you guys talking about specifically? There's a magnet inside the holster? And it automatically puts the phone into some sort of sleep mode? Plz explain more for us newbies.
    In the holsters that utilize the function, the top of the holster has a magnet in it which coincides with the magnet in the top of the storm, near the ear receiver. As soon as my phone comes close to it, the screen will shut off and the buttons will be disabled, conserving major battery life for me.
    12-18-08 11:28 AM
    Does this need to be turned on? I am using a ZVW leather holster that has the magnet in the strap that goes over the top and would like to use this feature but not sure if it needs to be enabled or if my holster is just not the right one.
    12-18-08 02:14 PM
    I've noticed a drastic battery improvement by not using my bluetooth headset (BlueAnt Z9). I'm lucky to get a full 12 hours out of it with the head set active. I use the Verizon leather case with the magnet, and keep it in the case 90% of the time. If I leave the bluetooth at home and don't use it, I get MUCH better battery life. I had the same issue with all the Treos I used over the years too. Bluetooth is a major battery drain even if you aren't actively using it.
    12-18-08 02:22 PM
    Does yours go into sleep mode when in the case? mine does not. I have BES connection to my work server and must use a password so it is a little annoying but not too bad.

Just trying to find out how to turn on the holster sleep mode.
    12-18-08 02:35 PM
    I second that. That would be a very cool deal.
    12-18-08 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD