I will be getting a Storm and want to be able to transfer all my calendar and contact information from my Treo.

Any special advice I should have or tips I should know about?

I use Outlook 2007 on my desktop.

Thanks.
    11-14-08 04:45 PM
    Nope the device swith wizard will take care of it and welcome to the addictioin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-08 06:48 PM
    Congrats on the new phone! Welcome to the CB family and the CB addiction!
    11-14-08 07:04 PM
    so coming from the 700p (same as the OP)...i will actually need to use the device wizard in DM?

I figured in the initial set up it would say something like "would you like to sync with outlook" and then automatically set everything up and bring my information (calendar, contacts, etc) over to the storm.

is this not the case?
    11-14-08 07:38 PM
    I'm comming from a 700p also! ready for the storm yet a little worried with the negative comments
    11-14-08 07:39 PM
    Coming from a Treo-- you will be MORE than pleased!!!!
    11-14-08 09:28 PM
    a suggestion - bluetooth transfer all the info from the 700p to the storm.

I'm thinking that should work.
    Yes? No?
    11-14-08 10:11 PM
    same boat as you guys, cant wait to rid of my treo
    11-15-08 02:45 AM
    I just posted my treo 700p up on craigslist. its been beat up so I'm only asking $50. I've already gotten a few phone calls. I told them I cant sell until 21st.
    11-15-08 02:59 AM
    My treo 700w is being held up by tape right now. Only 6 more days hopefully it will last until the Storms release
    11-15-08 03:36 AM
    There is multiple ways to do it but always remember to backup the items to a file or something before doing it in case something doesn't work quite right.

Outlook allows you to export it to files like comma seperated etc..

This is a step I highly recommend
    11-15-08 04:02 AM
    Backing up outlook has nothing to do with txfr of devices. You simply plug the Treo and the BB into the computer and start the device switch in DM. Outlook will retain your contacts the one thing nice about a BB it is straightforward when it comes to syncing unless you have a mac like me. But VMware works like a charm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 06:56 AM
    I'm comming from a 700p also! ready for the storm yet a little worried with the negative comments
    Coming from a 700p and worried about negative comments on the storm? I'm coming from a 700wx and can't wait to smash it against a wall when I finally get my storm.

Reality is nothing is going to be perfect and the Palm 700/755 series was far from perfect and there are probably little bugs that you noticed when you got that phone long ago but you've just gotten used to them over time. The same will happen with the storm - no worries. Get that phone, enjoy it for a couple of years and then be ready to smash it against a wall when the next great thing comes about.
    11-15-08 07:01 AM
    I cam e from the Treo 700wx to the Curve. I use Desktop Manager to forward emails. I use Outlook. I am not on a BB Server. The DM will transfer all calender/contacts for you. Let me comment on what i see as the differences from the Treo to Blackberry as far as features...

You will miss the ActiveSync on the Treo. Unless you use a BBServer the syncronization is not that great. The BB does not synce every 5 min linke the active sync. You need to manually sync or when it connects/disconnects.

You will also miss the Media players available for the Treo. The BB Media player is week & I have not been able to find a 3rd party one that has features like fast forward/reverse, If you watch a movie the media player does not remember your spot if you exit. Same with an Podcast.

I thought i would really miss the touch screen but i don't

As far as the phone working & signal strenght the BB is far better. I never miss a call anymore. The BB does not lock up either. The Treo's are almost like a toy as it relates to stability & locking up. I had the W version which ran Windows & it acts just like a windows platform & locks up for no reason. The battery on the BB lasts MUCH longer.

I will never go back to the Treo....I suggest you go for the BB & if you get it from your wireless vendor you will have 30 days to return it.....

Good luck
    11-15-08 07:39 AM
    so just to clarify...you used the device migrator thing in DM as opposed to doing a final sync with the Treo and a fresh install of DM?
    11-15-08 07:57 AM
    No i did not do any type of transfer betwen the devices. I use Desktop Manager to forward emails, sync contacts/calendar/other from my laptop to the BB.....Start fresh...
    11-15-08 08:10 AM
    cool....thanks!
    11-15-08 08:19 AM
    Coming from a Treo-- you will be MORE than pleased!!!!
    Meaning what?

I have a 700P and I'm also considering going to the Storm.
    By the way, I called Verizon yesterday and they said my data plan would actually decrease by $15 after going to the Storm, still unlimited.

Aside from the much better camera than the 700P and of course the better screen with landscape mode, what other advantages does the Storm have over the 700P?

Keep in mind, I have not had the many issues that others complained about with their Treo's. I really didn't have the BT issues, my email works great, and I didn't have the constant reset loops.
    I have the threaded sms, creating my own ringtones out of my mp3s, sync my outlook notes and calendar, IM, documents to go, I can lock individual apps, view youtube videos, various games (galaxian, galaga, poker, pac-man, blackjack), transfer files from my card to my pc (without removing the car), etc.

I for one will miss my Treo 700P, but it is getting old, I want something new, and from what I've read (and I've read a lot) the Storm looks very cool. The Storm is the only Blackberry I've ever even considered simply because other BB's lacked touch screens.
    I'm really hoping the on-screen keyboard feels good enough to replace the real keyboard.
    11-15-08 09:06 AM
    I just bought a storm - in the store they transferred my data from my treo 700p -- or so i thought.
    I got home and checked out the phone, only some details for each contact were listed - no email addresses, birthdays, or notes from the custom fields were switched. That was it. And NONE OF MY CALENDAR DATA WAS MOVED.

Is that something that can even be done?
    I'm carrying around both phones today - and plan to return the storm if i cant get my data!
    12-18-08 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD