Okay I'm a little slow............I've read the hundreds of tips and tricks and one that stands out is the one about limiting the # of icons on the "desktop" to no more than 8.

So when I turn on my BB in portrait mode there are 8 icons. If I hit the BB button, a whole bunch more appear; likewise in Landscape 12 icons appear.

Can someone provide a step by step on how create a single folder and how to move all bu 8 icons into it? Or point to a thread that does?

Thanks.
    01-23-09 01:39 PM
    I'm not quite sure exactly what you are looking for, but I can give some steps that should help

Your "desktop" can have 4,8, or 12 icons. to change this you basically press your BB key twice then go to options

To change the layout ant number of keys there are a couple of options. You can make folders and put similar items in them to reduce the number to only 8, as it seems you want.

You can also go to Options>Advanced Options>Accessibility. There you can change the grid layout to 4x4, 3x3, 2x2, or 1x1; depending on your preference.

This should help you get your icon setup how you would like
    01-23-09 01:49 PM
    If you're on the screen that has all the icons (not the home screen), hit the BB button and select Add Folder. You can give it a name and even click on the folder to select a different image. Save it.

To move icons into it, select an icon and hit the BB button, click Move to Folder and then select the folder from the list. Done.

WARNING: Do not change the name or image of a built in system folder because you will not be able to get it back to the original.

Since upgrading my OS to newer versions i really don't see any lag issues with having more than 8 icons. That issue may be mute at this point.

I have created several folders to organize my icons. Media, Tools, Email, Desktop (on home screen), Money, eReaders, and www. Do what works for you.

ETA: I only keep 1 row of icons on my home screen (4 icons) so that I can enjoy my wallpapers.
    01-23-09 01:51 PM
    Oh yeah...I forgot how to mention how to make a folder
    01-23-09 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD