What's up crackheads? I had an idea today to mount the Storm in my Jeep. I could get the home cradle and mount it right on top of the dashboard. Any good audio shop can hardwire it behind the dash so u don't have any silly cords visible. They can also set it up to swivel to give the passenger a better view. The only problem is that a small hole would have to be drilled on top of the dash but that can be plugged up if I sell the Jeep.

Mounting it on the dash would make GPS much more user friendly and I could play movies during road trips. I have one other idea that I was hoping to get some thoughts on. Can this be hooked up to play through the speakers in the Jeep? I can think of at least 2 different ways. I could probably get a double ended headphone jack and plug one end into the radio and the other in the Storm unit, but I don't think my factory radio has a headphone jack in the back. Or I heard if you have a bluetooth head unit, the Storm can feed into it that way. Has anyone tried to hook their Storm up to a bluetooth head unit and how did it work? Can anyone think of any other ideas to get the audio to come out of factory head unit I have now?
    12-12-08 07:20 PM
    i thought about doing this as well
    here are my suggestions
    1) if you have an aftermarket radio in the car you can just buy an RCA to 3.5 mm jack and plug it directly into the headunit (about 20 bucks) best sound quality
    2) if you have a tape deck you can just buy the tape transmitter which i think you can buy for like 5 bucks ok sound quality
    3) if you have neither of these options you can buy an RF transmitter and wire it directly into your unit which will then use a radio preset to select your storm (about 120 bucks) good sound quality
    Best thing about all of these options is that it will not only allow you to watch movies and use the gps through the radio but also music and hands free calling. For the calling function the sound is projected through the car speakers and your still able to use the internal microphone for calling. also any of these options can be used with other devices ehem ipod. When it comes to using this device in your car it is really very well thought out
    Last edited by Rlyman1; 12-12-08 at 07:48 PM.
    12-12-08 07:41 PM
    sorry i misread your post that you have a factory installed radio which in that case:
    Option three sounds like your best way you can also call some one like crutchfield.com and they can help you to figure out an option that will suit you. Jeep may acutally make a tansmitter made for the ipod that would work best
    12-12-08 07:47 PM
    Good stuff Rlyman, can't believe I didn't think of the RCA's>headphone jack idea. I also have the RF Transmitter for my Sirius unit which works great. Not sure what they call it but I got the after market RF transmitter not the crappy one that comes with the unit. It completely overrides the FM signal so there is no static while running Sirius. It also prevents any leaks from the car next to me that is running satellite on the same FM channel. I wonder if I can have two FM transmitters hooked into the back of my head unit and if it would cause any problems with Sirius.
    12-12-08 07:48 PM
    well rather then getting a second transmitter just unplug the sirius from the unit and plug it into the storm you also may be able to get a headphone splitter with a source selection switch to change back and forth between the storm and the sirius or just get sirius on your storm and eliminate it all together
    ps... the transmitter you have sounds like it is plugged into your radio unit through the antenna those kind are way better
    12-13-08 01:01 AM
    <sigh> I saw "mounting it in a vehicle" and thought this was gonna be about something else.
    12-13-08 01:13 AM
    One other option, depending on how old ur jeep is...does it have a cd or cassette player. I know the cassette is old school, but if u have one, u can used the 3.5mm to cassette adapters to play over the jeeps speakers. However, I don't think this works with the installed look u seem to be after. just my .02
    12-13-08 01:23 AM
    What's up crackheads? I had an idea today to mount the Storm in my Jeep. I could get the home cradle and mount it right on top of the dashboard. Any good audio shop can hardwire it behind the dash so u don't have any silly cords visible. They can also set it up to swivel to give the passenger a better view. The only problem is that a small hole would have to be drilled on top of the dash but that can be plugged up if I sell the Jeep.

Mounting it on the dash would make GPS much more user friendly and I could play movies during road trips. I have one other idea that I was hoping to get some thoughts on. Can this be hooked up to play through the speakers in the Jeep? I can think of at least 2 different ways. I could probably get a double ended headphone jack and plug one end into the radio and the other in the Storm unit, but I don't think my factory radio has a headphone jack in the back. Or I heard if you have a bluetooth head unit, the Storm can feed into it that way. Has anyone tried to hook their Storm up to a bluetooth head unit and how did it work? Can anyone think of any other ideas to get the audio to come out of factory head unit I have now?

why wouldn't you buy a vehicle mounting kit why buy something not made for it and turn it into something else..?

There is many available mounts that will work with the storm..

?
    12-13-08 01:29 AM
    Id actually prefer the cradle rather then a aftermarket mount all of those mounts are very bulky, are not as easy to charge in, and also most dont have the capability of giving a landscape view
    12-13-08 02:08 AM
    Sounds like a great idea. Post pics if you get this done.
    12-13-08 07:12 AM
    If you want a form fitting holder that goes well with your car and doesn't create a charging problem wait for a ProClip mount. I was told they will have one ready hopefully in a few weeks, but I am getting impatient. They are fantastic albeit a little expensive.
    12-13-08 07:19 AM
    12-27-08 10:52 PM
    Ate you using VZ nav? Is there a fee for using it on the storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 06:56 AM
    I'm going to do this after the holidays cool down but I'm not going to use the home cradle. I think that might be tacky sitting on the dashboard while I've got my Sirius Stilletto mounted right next to it.

My Jeep is a 2005 and I've got a spot under the heat/AC controls where it can go. The cradle is going to have to be custom made but my audio shop does outstanding work. I'll post a pic once it's installed.

noaim - I agree with rlyman, third party mounts are bulky and won't give the custom job I'm looking for.
    12-28-08 08:51 AM
    Jeep not sure...I found a car mount for the dash but it is "kind of" bumpy. Being a former Jeep owner myself I can only imagine how a jeep would be....
    12-28-08 09:48 AM
    Ate you using VZ nav? Is there a fee for using it on the storm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes the VZ navigator is like $10.00 a month. The first month is free.

But you can use BB maps for free and the built in GPS works with it. It does not have some of the glitz that vz navigator has but it works.
    12-29-08 12:25 AM
    Yes the VZ navigator is like $10.00 a month. The first month is free.

But you can use BB maps for free and the built in GPS works with it. It does not have some of the glitz that vz navigator has but it works.
    ok thanks, will it give me directions though?
    12-29-08 03:35 AM
    I'm thinking about mounting my Storm in my truck and I think I am going to use the RCA idea from the back of my aftermarket deck. I just added the Slacker Radio app and am thinking of using that as my "satellite" radio. has anyone had any experience with this?
    02-22-09 12:18 PM
    I use the Akron SM220 mount from ExtremePDA. I mounted the disc right on the front panel below the radio, and I can have perfect access to it while driving. Don't let the pictures fool you, it has holes in the side of the holder so you can charge the phone. It can also be mounted Landscape. For bluetooth to my factory stereo, I use the Motorola Motorokr T505....works AWESOME. I can do music and phone calls over my stereo with no wires, and it was only $56 at Newegg.
    02-22-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD