what is this and is it any better than original release?
    12-10-08 09:51 AM
    Its just upgraded hardware such as the new clicking pad. Some people have complained of the same issues. Its been discussed in previous threads.
    12-10-08 09:56 AM
    that hasn't been confirmed
    12-10-08 10:00 AM
    Some device manufacturers (TiVo for example) assign different model numbers to new vs. refurbished units.

I'm not saying all 21009s are refurbished, I'm simply saying there are a number of reasons outside of hardware upgrade that could contribute to the different numbering.
    12-10-08 10:11 AM
    I have a 21009-002 as a replacement unit and it is much much much better than my original 19502. I don't think for a second this is a refurb. At least not mine. It performs much better than the one I replaced and I examined the 2 of them side by side when I got the replacement.

I took like 30 minutes to really look and see if I can see any evidence of wear and tear and I couldn't find a thing. Then popped the battery in and checked to make sure there were no remnants of someone else owning the phone. I couldn't find anything.
    12-10-08 10:20 AM
    there is absolutely no evidence that there has been a hardware update...

this would be absolutely ridiculous, especially within the first month of rolling out the device
    12-10-08 10:22 AM
    yeah, let's just say it's a random number for now... just find a device that works regardless of manufacturing location or number
    12-10-08 10:25 AM
    there is absolutely no evidence that there has been a hardware update...

this would be absolutely ridiculous, especially within the first month of rolling out the device
    Wasnt there an image of the new metal plate for the click screen?
    12-10-08 10:30 AM
    I am SO sick of hearing this. The higher model number IS NOT upgraded hardware. People have been reporting left and right that they have the "new" model, and the clicking problem is still there. I mean seriously, these units were being shipped out the same week as the others, it really means nothing.
    12-10-08 10:34 AM
    Wasnt there an image of the new metal plate for the click screen?
    No, that was an image compare between a prerelease Storm teardown and a release version teardown.
    12-10-08 10:34 AM
    No, that was an image compare between a prerelease Storm teardown and a release version teardown.
    Ah ok. Got confused.

Someone should dissect a 19xxx and a 21xxx
    12-10-08 10:37 AM
    Ok I hear what everyone is saying can someone explain then why my original storm was from the 19502 batch and had a yellow dot on the box and my replacement unit was from 21009 batch and had a green dot on the box. The new sto has a better keypad and the keys are flushed more with the screen. Granted the dots could just represent what country they were made unsa the original came from Canada and the replacement Mexico

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 10:41 AM
    Ok I hear what everyone is saying can someone explain then why my original storm was from the 19502 batch and had a yellow dot on the box and my replacement unit was from 21009 batch and had a green dot on the box. The new sto has a better keypad and the keys are flushed more with the screen. Granted the dots could just represent what country they were made unsa the original came from Canada and the replacement Mexico

Mine was the opposite, 19502 original cam from mexico and 21009 replacement came from Canada. Not sure about the stickers.
    12-10-08 10:43 AM
    yellow dot indicated that they had replaced the sticker that stated it was carrying a different OS...one that wasn't available or never existed
    12-10-08 10:58 AM
    I've seen a lot of people saying how ridiculous a hardware upgrade is so soon... wasn't it only a few weeks from the UK release and they had much more physical issues (buttons falling off) that has not been a major issue here?

The device itself would be standard between the 9500 and 9530?
    12-10-08 11:26 AM
    yellow dot indicated that they had replaced the sticker that stated it was carrying a different OS...one that wasn't available or never existed
    That is a thought except mine didn't havea replacement sticker.

12-10-08 12:22 PM
    That is a thought except mine didn't havea replacement sticker.

12-10-08 12:31 PM
    I had the 19....phone and got it on launch day, made in canada and had the screen clicking problem, got my replacement with a green dot and 20....version of phone and no clicking problem. This could be completely random but for there to onlybe 2 versions a new hardware is very likly

12-10-08 01:46 PM
    i got my replacement today. same 19 version and it's miles and miles better than my launch day one.

only difference was between the PIN and Made in CANADA on the sticker... on my first one it had 4B8, my new one has 4C8.
    12-10-08 01:49 PM
    I've seen a lot of people saying how ridiculous a hardware upgrade is so soon... wasn't it only a few weeks from the UK release and they had much more physical issues (buttons falling off) that has not been a major issue here?

The device itself would be standard between the 9500 and 9530?
    I believe the buttons were falling off, but rqather being pulled off by the provided BB pouch. Since then, I understand that the pouch was being replaced. From reading the Vodophone forum, the pouch had a rough sewn edge and as the Storm was being pulled out, the button(s) were cathing on the edge.
    12-10-08 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD