I downloaded the trial and it's clearly not optimized for the Storm but I was able to get past the first part but I got to the part where it says my PIN and asks for Registration code. I have trial so i can't enter that.. Any help?
    12-30-08 02:56 AM
    JRay if you did a forum search you would find a thread on this particular topic. From my experience you will not be able to get Mobishark to work, it violates Verizons TOS. Just pay the $30/month and be done with it.
    12-30-08 03:04 AM
    jay mobishark works as a proxy its a horrible program. It will work without verizon's knowledge or permission that is not the problem. When you pay for the program you will get an email with a the reg code that you enter on your computer. The trial version is limited 2 10 megs i think. But its a horrible program. I have a thread called mobishark any more questions post there. We can help you.
    12-31-08 02:54 AM
    thanks for the info
    12-31-08 03:55 AM
    Pairing OpenVPN+GUI freeware with MobiShark is much more reliable and works automatically with all net apps that don't require port forwarding to get past a firewall; simply add MobiShark's HTTP Proxy Settings (localhost:3128) in the OpenVPN GUI tray icon. OpenVPN tunnels all connections through just one encrypted & compressed SSL connection so the Blackberry limit of 5 connections is virtually a non-issue; and, no more restarting MobiShark every few minutes due to 5 stuck connections.

Recommendation: I chose AlwaysVPN service because it's so easy and works "out-of-the-box" if you connect using their "tcp-compatibility" mode, and it's cheap pre-pay-as-you-go (eg. I pre-payed $47 for 80GB to use whenever I desire with no monthly fee or contract). AlwaysVPN is essentially OpenVPN+GUI pre-configured with their high speed VPN server service. Although it's blazing fast for me (US GMT-5), some foreigners experience slower speeds depending upon their ISP(s), so I recommend buying the cheapest plan at first to test with SpeedTest.Net ... And, as expected, foreigners get access to US-restricted media content websites like Hulu.

For heavy bandwidth users: I recommend purchasing a monthly-fee based OpenVPN compatible unlimited bandwidth service such as: SmallVPN.com or hostkitty.net/vpn.html (fyi, inform them you require a "proto tcp-client" config, or it will NOT work through MobiShark's proxy)

An OpenVPN minor caveat: it seems if no other network devices are enabled/connected(?) on your PC then OpenVPN may fail to automatically set the "Default Gateway"; if this happens, simply go into the OpenVPN TAP adapter's TCP/IP Properties page and manually add it. It can obtained from the current OpenVPN connection log, or likely be derived by mousing over the OpenVPN-GUI tray icon, reading your "Assigned IP", and replacing the last/fourth number with 1 (for example: if 10.19.96.16 is your Assigned IP, then 10.19.96.1 is probably the Default Gateway).

Testing with MobiShark: so far (both with and without OpenVPN), it appears that my BB Storm (WITHOUT real Tether Plan) on V is generally limited to ~200kbps downloads; how peculiar.. I read about older BB OS having capped 128kbps download, but I thought they removed that restriction in later BB OS versions?? For comparison, when I test the "real pay Tether Plan" I get ~1mbps downloads over the exact same phone, cable, USB port, and location. Is this normal? Is it the BB OS? MobiShark? or, is something else wrong? ... more testing is needed.

Security Tip: a free/fast layer of privacy/security may be employed with UltraSurf decentralized proxy from ultrareach.com ... if you don't mind their ~PG-rated content filtering.

Enjoy. May all these long hours of researching and testing will be worth saving us ~$30/mo.
    -PC
    Last edited by pcipronet; 03-11-09 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated due to recommended service changing from free (ad supported) to pay only.
    01-02-09 02:58 AM
    can you get xbox live to work on it?
    01-06-09 01:09 PM
    128kbps download speed is really awful. Is that the best people are getting out of MobiShark?
    01-06-09 01:58 PM
    I just tried this method. It worked perfectly. I tested my speeds on speedtest.net and I was getting 235 kb/s download and 102 kb/s upload. The only problem is that with the proxy software data is constantly being sent, ends up sending mass amounts of data.
    01-08-09 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD