Just wrote PDANet asking about BB solution. We shall see!
    02-06-09 09:39 AM
    Hi Guys,

I've been working on an internet sharing application for the BlackBerry over the last month and a half. I've been trying to develop it so that it doesn have all of the limitations that mobishark seems to have.

What I've come up with doesn't have the 4 connection limit. You can open as many simultaneous connections as you like. I've gotten around the 2 minute timeout that all BlackBerry socket connections have, so you should be able to keep a connection open for an hour without TCP keep-alive packets (I set the 1 hour limit. The connection will stay open longer than an hour if data is being transferred through it). The connection should not be broken even if your device loses connection from the tower temporarily.

Another major benefit with what I've done is that you don't need to set proxy settings in any applications for them to work. Which also means you don't need to change the settings back once your finished. So basically any application that uses regular TCP should work. I've tested IE6, IE7, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, an SSH client, Outlook, telnet and other programs I can't think of at the moment. Anything that uses TCP or a protocol that sits on top of TCP should work.

I've tested my application on both the Telus and Rogers networks and it works with both of them. I am getting speeds of 220kbps with a BlackBerry Curve. That is 4 times faster than a 56kbps modem. I am pretty sure that I can improve that some more with a bit more optimization.

So basically this software is in a beta testing phase and I am looking for a few people that would like to try it. It is not perfect yet, but is getting pretty close. With your feedback I should be able to find and fix any remaining issues.

Thanks
    Last edited by jappadod; 02-10-09 at 06:26 PM.
    02-10-09 06:22 PM
    i will test it. have you tried any torrent programs?
    02-17-09 11:16 PM
    I find it very odd that I can tether via Bluetooth (and USB too) on OS X, WITHOUT 3rd party software, but you can't even do it through Windows?????

Chicago

Orlando

EDIT:

Has anyone tried anything like this which makes MobiShark completely pointless?
    Last edited by 312; 02-17-09 at 11:57 PM.
    02-17-09 11:55 PM
    I will be more then happy to test your product.
    02-18-09 06:10 PM
    i would love to test it too
    02-19-09 12:40 PM
    anyone having any issues with it not loading webpages and downloads?
    02-19-09 11:37 PM
    I would be happy to test your program
    02-21-09 06:32 PM
    It's too bad you have to use a proxy. When I was traveling last summer in Montreal, I needed internet. I tethered my 8703e to my computer and my internet was like broadband was so surprised, I double checked to make sure I wasn't on some unsecured wifi network. I then did the sharkmodem trial, set up proxy etc and it was SO slow was worse than being on dialup.
    02-21-09 07:12 PM
    jappadod - are you still looking for Beta testers? I work in the wireless industry and am tired of SharkModem not working with my Exchange server. Can I try your application?
    03-03-09 04:05 PM
    jappadod - I'd like to beta test for you. What do I need to do?
    03-19-09 05:22 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD