Hi all just wanted to know does or has anyone used MOBISHARK with BB Storm?
    I want to use this type of program to update my web site when i don't have a wireless connection (don't want to pay airport charges)
    If not then what would you guys recommend.
    $50 bucks a year sounds to good to be true

Thanks

Mick
    12-05-08 04:49 PM
    its 50 dollars for a lifetime or until your blackberry is gone.
    12-05-08 05:03 PM
    I tried it with the trail version and i like it. The 2 main problems for me was setting the proxy up in mozilla or internet explorer. Its kind of a pain in the a if you use your blackberry and a wireless internet connection. You have to keep changing the proxy back and forth. The other problem for me was the bluetooth, i didn't get it to work but i really didn't try. overall, i like it. I think i am going to use that instead of vz access manager. You should check out the trial version. Its limited to 10mb of data transfer though. Hope this helps -David
    12-05-08 05:06 PM
    I just use two different explorers, since theres two different settings. One is for regular ethernet/wifi. the other is for tethering the storm. use both internet explorer and firefox.
    12-05-08 05:20 PM
    its 50 dollars for a lifetime or until your blackberry is gone.
    silv3rskeeter im sure its now 50 bucks a year
    but i will check
    thanks all i just need it for when im in the desert to report back

Thanks
    Mick
    12-07-08 10:46 AM
    apparently someone didnt search the forum. mobishark sucks its worst program on the planet. i will be taking my storm just because i cant use it as a modem for free. love the phone i am really upset by this!!!!!
    12-10-08 08:29 PM
    apparently someone didnt search the forum. mobishark sucks its worst program on the planet. i will be taking my storm just because i cant use it as a modem for free. love the phone i am really upset by this!!!!!
    Do you think you could tell us why mobishark is the worst program on the planet? Instead of just burbling out that it sucks, maybe you could justify your opinion with your own personal experiences. I think that will help out most people on here instead of just saying it sucks.

"Apparently" someone didn't research the fact that it does cost money for you to tether your from with vzam. Why did you buy the phone to use it as a modem without the vzam package anyway?
    12-10-08 08:40 PM
    Do you think you could tell us why mobishark is the worst program on the planet? Instead of just burbling out that it sucks, maybe you could justify your opinion with your own personal experiences. I think that will help out most people on here instead of just saying it sucks.

"Apparently" someone didn't research the fact that it does cost money for you to tether your from with vzam. Why did you buy the phone to use it as a modem without the vzam package anyway?
    Yes I agree David better have a full explanation as to why it sucks so I don't go down that road!!!
    I know VZ charges my storm each time I use it as a modem yeah that sucks seen as my plan costs me $200 a month.
    But If i could find a program that will let me dial out on my storm for $50 a year I would be pleased.
    As i own a web site that takes a lot of K to download.
    I travel alot and want to upload pictures to my web site so i don't care if its loading all night i just don't want to pay by the Kilobyte, imagine that at the end of the month!!!
    Thanks
    Mick
    12-10-08 08:59 PM
    I created a thread called "mobishark" where i thought we talked about why it sucked but i will repeat here again. Unlike pdanet or usbmodem for windows mobile devices mobishark works a proxy server meaning mobishark controlls your access to the internet. So browsing speeds are about the same speed as using the browser on the phone, you cant download video or music files using bitorrent programs and some pages dont even load at all. Myspace, ebay are a few that will not load using mobishark . Where i currently live i do not have access to dsl or cable so i use my phone as modem Pdanet and usbmodem allow me to access the internet bypassing verizons tether charge and the 5gig limit. Last month i used 45 gigs of data. No joke and i paid my normal amount of 200.00 dollars of the month. How do i use 45 gigs?? tv show downloads, xbox live, and music files. I have done this for the last year and have not had one issue with verizon catching on. So for what i use the phone as a modem for mobishark is complete gargabe!!!!!! I presumed when i got the phone mobishark would work like pdanet not as the worst proxy server ever made.
    12-10-08 11:42 PM
    I think i found your thread here http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/mobishark-99686/. honestly Mick, i think you should try it. I use it and i love it. Seems to come down to personal preference. Yes i agree its not as good as PDAnet but its the only thing we have on our bb's without paying for the monthly charge. Have you used the trial version yet?
    12-10-08 11:53 PM
    david can you get all webpages to load on you pc with mobishark? i still cant get ebay, myspace, myyahoo and some other to load at all. not to mention getting it to download music and videos have you tried this?
    12-11-08 12:11 PM
    Has anyone been able to run any p2p programs with mobishark? i cant get any to connect. If so what are you are your settings
    12-16-08 03:28 PM
    I got utorrent to download but it's slow, not because Verizon's 3g service is slow, but because Mobishark only allows four simultaneous connections which is not only too few but too slow to cycle through connect/disconnect using utorrent and other websites. Anyway, set up utorrent or any other program the same way you set up ie or firefox: Proxy, localhost 3128. For utorrent, limit connections to 3 (4 will "clog" mobishark), and go for one active download. I got between 10 to 15kB/s for upload and download speed (compared to 4.5kB/s for dial up, 75kB/s for RoadRunner Lite, 75 to 125kB/s for SBC DSL, and 500kB/s for regular RoadRunner, and 768kB/s for Comcast.
    12-22-08 01:41 AM
    Why not try the trial version and see if it works for you. I did yesterday and think I will be purchasing it. It may not be for everybody being that you may not be able to access some sites, but it serves my purpose.

Are there any alternatives for the BlackBerry besides paying Verizon $30 - $45 per month to tether?
    12-22-08 01:56 AM
    I say you we all message PDAnet people at June Fabrics Support

and ask them to develop a storm/bb version...
    12-22-08 02:06 AM
    Hi Guys,

I've been working on an internet sharing application for the BlackBerry over the last month and a half. I've been trying to develop it so that it doesn have all of the limitations that mobishark seems to have.

What I've come up with doesn't have the 4 connection limit. You can open as many simultaneous connections as you like. I've gotten around the 2 minute timeout that all BlackBerry socket connections have, so you should be able to keep a connection open for an hour without TCP keep-alive packets (I set the 1 hour limit. The connection will stay open longer than an hour if data is being transferred through it). The connection should not be broken even if your device loses connection from the tower temporarily.

Another major benefit with what I've done is that you don't need to set proxy settings in any applications for them to work. Which also means you don't need to change the settings back once your finished. So basically any application that uses regular TCP should work. I've tested IE6, IE7, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, an SSH client, Outlook, telnet and other programs I can't think of at the moment. Anything that uses TCP or a protocol that sits on top of TCP should work.

I've tested my application on both the Telus and Rogers networks and it works with both of them. I am getting speeds of 220kbps with a BlackBerry Curve. That is 4 times faster than a 56kbps modem. I am pretty sure that I can improve that some more with a bit more optimization.

So basically this software is in a beta testing phase and I am looking for a few people that would like to try it. It is not perfect yet, but is getting pretty close. With your feedback I should be able to find and fix any remaining issues.

Thanks
    02-10-09 06:32 PM
    I would be interested in Beta testing for you.
    02-10-09 07:29 PM
    I should try this out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 08:13 PM
    I would love to beta test if there is still room. pm sent
    02-10-09 08:18 PM
    Id like to give it a whirl and test it.
    02-10-09 08:36 PM
    Oh please let me test this! Do you anticipate it working on Verizon? I just emailed PDAnet the other day.
    02-10-09 09:29 PM
    Thanks for the interest guys.

I've ran into an issue this morning that I want to get fixed before getting people to beta test. I think I've solved it but won't be able to test it until tomorrow.

I was hitting 250kbps this afternoon while running tests when downloading the Adobe Reader installer, a 33MB download. My signal strength was between 2 and 3 bars at the time.

Also, for the people that sent me a PM, apparently I can't reply until I have at least 10 posts on this forum.

The one that mentioned Hockey may be interested in a product that my company is developing. More info at quickstickz.com.
    02-11-09 06:34 PM
    Any news on this jappadod i am ready to purchase a program?
    David i did try modishark and i liked it, i only need to download pictures from the desert so as long as it works to my FTP server im good

thanks
    02-11-09 08:36 PM
    For those interested in doing a beta test please fill in the form at quarkengineering.com/bbinternet

Because it is in beta testing phase I can only accept a couple people initially. It is not ready for commercial release yet.

Thanks
    02-13-09 05:38 AM
    I've beta tested a few other programs for the Storm and have already tried MobiShark. I would be very interested in beta testing your application and sending you my findings.
    02-13-09 06:25 AM
106 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD