I am a huge reader of books so seeing the ereader beta come out gave me joy. I thought I would give my quick pro-con comparing the two betas. I don't do any fancy lookups or copy/paste I just read books so pls note that and feel free to correct me or add to it, this is just my very humble opinion. I am not a developer and have a tremendous amount of respect for ya'll who code:

ereader beta
    Pro-Nice clean look just a bit cleaner for some reason than mobi
    Pro-OUTSTANDING ability to either "swipe" to next page or you simply click the bottom half of the screen to move ahead or top half of the screen to go back. I love this feature as sometimes I hold it at odd angles and swiping is tiresome.
    Pro-Online bookshelf is sharp and nicer than mobi, shows all of my ereader books I have ever purchased from ereader.com
    Pro-Online website is cleaner and easier to use IMHO than mobi's in-reader online book ordering process. Others say that going out of the app and going online to order a book is cumbersome, but I prefer the robustness of the web page.
    Pro- Fictionwise ebooks are valid
    Pro-You can close ereader via menu and it does not stay on like mobi does.
    Con - HUGE CON that will prevent me from using ereader until it is fixed - you can not lock orientation which sucks when laying down at an angle. <please fix this>

Mobipocket beta:
    Pro- clean easy startup never forgets your page even on upgrade install (ereader had this habit on Windows Mobile but I have not used it enough to test on my Storm)
    Pro- more options to customize the look, color, justification, etc..
    Pro- for some....ebookstore is within the app
    Pro- lock orientation screen - lets you lay down on your side and still read in portrait mode...nice
    Con- you have to go to library first then close out Mobi to get it to turn "off" each time, and it auto-starts as well - not nice.
    Con- no way to click to next page, u swipe but that can actually be tiresome if you read for an hour each night (try it before you flame and see how much easier a simple click is than a swipe when you are one handing your phone for an hour)

All in all both beta's for me are nice. If ereader adds the lock orientation my next book will be bought from them, otherwise I stay with mobi but either seem to be nice.
    03-12-09 10:33 AM
    I haven't used mobipocket because I heard you need to call the keyboard up to get to the next page. Not sure if that's true... from what you said it doesn't sound like it?

EReader is bothering me because I want to be able to use it in landscape sometimes, but the table of contents won't let you click anything in landscape and you can't switch to the next page in landscape.
    03-12-09 11:03 AM
    I just downloaded the eReader. Looks like something I'd keep and use. But I can't seem to close the app. I go through the BB button and select close but when I go into the BB app switcher, it's still there.

I found this thread and you say that you're able to close it. Can you please show me how that is done?

Thanks
    03-12-09 11:04 AM
    I just downloaded the eReader. Looks like something I'd keep and use. But I can't seem to close the app. I go through the BB button and select close but when I go into the BB app switcher, it's still there.

I found this thread and you say that you're able to close it. Can you please show me how that is done?

Thanks
    Mobi does not quit out but every time in ereader when I hit close ereader it does not show up as open...hmmm
    03-12-09 11:07 AM
    I haven't used mobipocket because I heard you need to call the keyboard up to get to the next page. Not sure if that's true... from what you said it doesn't sound like it?

EReader is bothering me because I want to be able to use it in landscape sometimes, but the table of contents won't let you click anything in landscape and you can't switch to the next page in landscape.
    the Beta for mobipocket (make sure you get the BETA) does not have the keyboard showing. I noticed the glitch in landscape in ereader - alas I never read in landscape but I can see how this would bug.
    03-12-09 11:18 AM
    Are there any free books to try on Mobipocket? I don't see any. I don't want to buy one for $10 before I even know if I like it.

ETA: Nevermind, found "download sample" option. Mobipocket wins for me so far.
    Last edited by zazzified; 03-12-09 at 12:01 PM.
    03-12-09 11:57 AM
    Well, neither of these is going to cut it in the current state. Not being able to close out of a book reader is just stupid.
    03-12-09 01:11 PM
    Well, neither of these is going to cut it in the current state. Not being able to close out of a book reader is just stupid.
    With Mobipocket, bring up the keyboard and prest Left-Shift then Q and it'll close completely for you.
    03-12-09 01:35 PM
    With Mobipocket, bring up the keyboard and prest Left-Shift then Q and it'll close completely for you.
    Looks like it comes back every time the phone reboots though. Thanks.
    03-12-09 01:35 PM
    I have eReader on my ipod touch and have been able to use a converter program (ABC Lit) to convert my old ebooks into pdb files and use them just fine on my ipod (going to my library page on eReader.com and downloading them)

I downloaded the Storm version today and can see all of my pdb books that are in My Library, however, when I try to load them from the eReader app i keep getting an error message 'unrecognized eBook file format. Version 2 not supported'

Any idea why I cannot access/download the same ebooks?
    03-12-09 01:36 PM
    I'm uninstalling. Not being able to close it is just unacceptable.
    03-12-09 02:46 PM

Thanks
    Won't close for me, would like to know as well if anyone has a way to close it short of a battery pull.
    03-12-09 03:01 PM
    I'm uninstalling too. Not only won't it close out, but it's a memory hog. My app memory was down to 7megs. It's never been anywhere near that low ever on my Storm.

I'll wait for a more stable, usable official version...
    03-12-09 03:23 PM
    It is a beta (they are)...and since I am hooked on reading I live with what we have and make suggestions for improvement and take your suggestions and pass them along....then they make the perfect app and iphones and Storms walk hand in hand down the aisle of life.
    03-12-09 03:41 PM
    having the keyboard up all the time in mobi reader book is very annoying. I am pretty certain I have the beta version.
    03-12-09 04:32 PM
    having the keyboard up all the time in mobi reader book is very annoying. I am pretty certain I have the beta version.
    Did u completely uninstall the old version? Try an uninstall then batt pull and do the beta install again, mine has never come up.
    03-12-09 04:50 PM
    The funny thing is that I posted this issue on the Mobi forum customer support and the only support guy just kept giving the run around. He first stated it could be closed by hitting close in the menu even though I already mentioned it only closed it but still keeps the app running in the background. He then stated that the app is running properly and must run in the background to which I responded that I doubted that since I do close it and stop it from running using the keyboard. I mentioned that it was a concern that while the app was running in the background, it was using app memory. I also asked why there was an option to completely close using the keyboard (which happened to work with BBs with keyboards), asked if there this would even be fixed as it wasn't properly compatible, whether there would be an update and why we couldn't at least have the option of fully closing! The guy still wouldn't budge. It was like pulling teeth.

I ended up removing the app since the CS sucks.
    Last edited by wentouch; 03-12-09 at 04:57 PM.
    03-12-09 04:54 PM
    Mobipocket can be closed in the Storm as somebody mentioned before. Just bring up the keyboard, then shift-Q. I comes up again when you reboot and you have to repeat the process again. Ereader wont close at all and will be deleted from my BB until this problem is fixed.
    03-12-09 08:10 PM
    When I used eReader on my Treo 650 (couple of years) I was able to just put numerous books in varioius formats (.pdb, .doc, .txt, html) on the SD card and access them easily. I couldn't figure out how to do it with the new beta Storm version. Am I missing something??? How the heck do I locate books on my micro-SD card and what formats can the Storm version read?
    03-13-09 03:19 AM
    When I had mobireader it kept making my storm freeze and reboot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 09:11 PM
    When I had mobireader it kept making my storm freeze and reboot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Hmmm, never has happened to me and I have re-installed a lot (every leak, hehe).

The newsreader feature looks cool and functionally is really sound in Mobi-Reader (giving you access to thousands of articles). If they just turn on the bloody remote access I like this much better than Viigo.
    03-16-09 07:30 AM
    Got to Setup--->Options--->Adavanced--->Applications

Highlight the mobireader application, click the menu button on your phone and make sure the application is NOT in compatibility mode. If it is, disable compatibility. That is most likely your problem.
    03-16-09 08:02 AM
    I am having problems getting my ebooks downloaded with mobipocket. I keep getting numerous error messages, or I get can not sync to phone (meanwhile I had just finished syncing from desktop manager). Ereader I have no problems getting my ebooks except I would like to be able to convert my other books over so that I can read them with ereader. Any suggestions with either problem?
    03-18-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD