I am brand new on here and this is the first real problem I have had. I pulled my battery to speed up my BB and when it rebooted got the error message uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception and noticed my SMS Icon is missing. I have since pulled the battery a number of times. I deleted some apps and I also reset my stock theme. I found my sms inbox by going to messages/ view folder and this is when the error message pops up and won't let me access. I do not have a backup of my texts and there are some very important ones I need. I'm sure if I clear my texts on DM or reinstall the OS, I will fix the problem. But I am afraid I will lose all my texts. Please Help!!

BTW I am no techie, you will have to spell things out for me....
    05-18-09 01:01 PM
    Go to options/ advanced options/ host routing table/ press bb button/ register now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 01:06 PM
    ok I am now registered

How does that help and what do I do now?
    Last edited by emeraldgrn; 05-18-09 at 02:00 PM.
    05-18-09 01:09 PM
    Somebody please help. I can't even receive texts until I fix this prob.
    05-18-09 02:06 PM
    2 locate sms folder try:

menu > options > general options > sms & email boxes > separate.

+ full home screen > menu > show all (option doesn't appear if no folders r hidden).
    05-18-09 02:10 PM
    I have tryed all that. There is an error code when I try to access my sms files.
    05-18-09 02:17 PM
    Call vzw tech support @ :

1 800 922-0204
    05-18-09 02:21 PM
    i just got this error, and my SMS is gone
    05-22-09 10:34 AM
    we never heard if emeraldgrn got the problem fixed and how.

Might be worth trying to use desktop manager to do a backup and then restore, sometimes that seems to correct errors in the phone's databases
    05-22-09 10:41 AM
    ok I am now registered

How does that help and what do I do now?
    Try going to Service books under Advanced Options then resend using BB Button
    05-22-09 10:48 AM
    Prolly got it fixed and then didn't bother to come tell us how he did it.

05-22-09 11:13 AM
    tried everything, went into verizon, what a mistake, basically just wasted 30mins of my time. tried to backup what I have on the phone through DM but it won't complete backup, says there is an error and stops. uGGGGGGHhhh!!!!
    05-23-09 08:10 AM
    I am brand new on here and this is the first real problem I have had. I pulled my battery to speed up my BB and when it rebooted got the error message uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception and noticed my SMS Icon is missing. I have since pulled the battery a number of times. I deleted some apps and I also reset my stock theme. I found my sms inbox by going to messages/ view folder and this is when the error message pops up and won't let me access. I do not have a backup of my texts and there are some very important ones I need. I'm sure if I clear my texts on DM or reinstall the OS, I will fix the problem. But I am afraid I will lose all my texts. Please Help!!

BTW I am no techie, you will have to spell things out for me....
    did this happen after you upgraded?
    12-11-09 10:52 PM
    Storm OS .99 - SMS Error: Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! Thank you for all of you and for this Forum, found so much assistance just by browsing on the threads. Storm is my first BB device, I had iPhone before coming to BB Storm.

I upgraded from .65 to .75 then to .90, Finally to .99. Had so many issues with previous OSs (Mostly BIS problem, lost signal, etc), .99 much better for me.

Anyways I had SMS problem: Uncaught Exception: Java.Lang.NullPointerException today, tried to Open my Sms folder, the screen just flashed then the Error uncaught exception come out. Read so many postings regarding the problem on other OSes (Bold, Curve etc), but the solution was to reload the OS or Wipe Clean (It is useless to do the Battery Pull out, Turn it off, Memory Cleaning, etc)

I solved it by trying to send SMS using: Contacts>(find any name)>Write your sms then Sending (might failed once or twice, but finally it works for me, it bounce me back to the SMS list after sending the SMS)

Anyone has the same problem as mine? If so, maybe you can try my procedure. .
    12-12-09 07:22 AM
    I had this issue, just re-installed blackberry messenger and I'm able to access my sms again. I will unload messenger and see if I get the fault message age.

follow up

I unloaded messenger and the fault occurred again. Reloaded and no more java error. Anyone have any idea how to get rid of bbmessenger and the java error? I do not use the bbmessenger and it hogs 5 mgs of application memory.
    Last edited by BBBay; 01-02-10 at 09:32 PM. Reason: follow-up info
    01-02-10 04:00 PM
    Back on an older operating system, I also lost my SMS ability at one point with the same error. I uninstalled the new Blackberry Messenger. Like someone said, try installing that for a temporary fix. My thread was ignored.

If you push, Verizon will help you. If you want to take matters into your own hands, you can download an OS for your phone on here and install it yourself.

My old thread
    01-02-10 05:20 PM
    OK, I believe I have stumbled on the cause of the irritating 'Missing SMS/MMS uncaught exception java.lang.nullpointer exception" problem.

It started with OS V5.0 on my storm after I upgraded the OS from 4.7 to 5.0. So Version gave me a replacement phone, and again it happened. Version gave me a total of 3 new Storms all running OS V5.0 and they all had the same issue. Then they gave me brand new a Storm II. Wonders of wonders it worked just fine. So I synced my address book from my laptop to it. I went to send a text message and the error message came up again.

Next I deleted all address book entries from the Storm and the text messaging started working again. I printed the desktop copy of the address book, all 146 contacts. I looked at the printed copy and some of the fields that are synced to the Storm contained the entry (NULL). The same word that is in the error message. What the error message is trying to tell you is that these entries in the address book are corrupted.

OS V5.0 is using JAVA in the text messaging application to allow us to add smiley's to the message. When you try to read or send a text message the application looks to the address book for required information to and finds the (NULL) entry and throws up the error message.

If you do a search on the error message on the Blackberry site it comes back and says that the JAVA engine is not finding the required information at the pointer location in the data file.

So here's how to find out if my solution will fix the issue on your BlackBerry.

First thing you need to do is backup all your contacts to the desktop, then delete them all from the Storm and try to use the text messaging application. If it starts working then you have corrupt address book entries just like I had on mine.

Next print all the address book entries that are on the computer to be able to see the records that have (NULL) anywhere in the contact information. It wont show on the screen but will show when printed. I used the Windows Contact application as I do not use Outlook or Outlook express as I use Google for everything. Then re-sync the remaining contacts.

If you still get the error then start from the beginning of the BlackBerry address book and delete them one at a time and try to send a text message after each deletion until the problem goes away. The last step is to delete all the entries from the computer. I started at the beginning only because it involves less scrolling to get the the end of the address book.

Next, manually add all the missing entries back into the BlackBerry. Once you have all the contacts back into the BlackBerry then sync to the computer.

Seems like a pain, but if you have corrupt address book contacts on the computer and you backup these to you BlackBerry your just putting the corrupt data back to the BlackBerry. Since I went thru this typing drill I have not had that dreaded message and have had no problems with the text messaging application. It's been about seven days since I did this and the error has not returned.

Look at the bright side. When your thru your thumb typing skills on the BlackBerry will have improved and the error message should be gone.
    01-03-10 03:05 PM
    Next print all the address book entries that are on the computer to be able to see the records that have (NULL) anywhere in the contact information. It wont show on the screen but will show when printed. I used the Windows Contact application as I do not use Outlook or Outlook express as I use Google for everything. Then re-sync the remaining contacts.

If you still get the error then start from the beginning of the BlackBerry address book and delete them one at a time and try to send a text message after each deletion until the problem goes away. The last step is to delete all the entries from the computer. I started at the beginning only because it involves less scrolling to get the the end of the address book.

What format do you print it in? Outlook gives memo styly, booklrt, phonebook, among others. I tried the most compact version because it was 9 pages as opposed to 300, but null did not show. What version did you use?

I also wonder if it will show up using "print preview"...
    01-04-10 12:05 PM
    Follow-up:

"NULL" (if it's there) does not show up under Print Preview on any of the above listed print modes
    01-04-10 01:36 PM
    That doesnt work! Thanks thought
    02-03-10 12:05 AM
    Go to options/ advanced options/ host routing table/ press bb button/ register now

This doesnt work..
    02-03-10 12:07 AM
    2 locate sms folder try:

menu > options > general options > sms & email boxes > separate.

+ full home screen > menu > show all (option doesn't appear if no folders r hidden).
    Sms & email boxes would have to be there for this to work. Its not present after you hit General options.
    02-03-10 12:10 AM
    Hello folks,
    As poker is a very popular game I also like to play it
    I play online and as most of you do I prefer the apps facebook com/freegamescurrency/]Zynga Poker which can be played on my favourite social platform facebook
    Sometimes I come into the awful situation of not having enough chips but I don't want to buy em for real money
    Yesterday I made a super exploration
    I found apps facebook com/freegamescurrency/]Free Games Currency a facebook application on that you can with ease get Fiches for Zynga poker and other online games like FARMVILLE, second life, habbo, entropia universe and many others, a big life saver when you run out of chips and don't want to wait a day for play again!!
    The one thing you need to do is to fill in some surveys, that take under a minute Another way for receive games currency is to invite your friends, in this way you can earn toon of chips!
    Free Games Currency is a facebook application
    If you are interested, check the facebook app at apps facebook com/freegamescurrency/]Free Games Currency and let me know if this helped you!
    Greetings
    Luc34TheGamer
    04-04-10 06:36 PM
    Hello folks,
    As FarmVille is a very popular game I also desire to play it
    I play also another online game and like many of you do I play on the Zynga Poker which can be played on my favourite social platform facebook
    Sometimes I come into the awful situation of not having enough virtual credits but I don't want to buy em for real money
    Yesterday I made a super discovery
    I discovered apps facebook com/freegamescurrency/]Free Games Currency a facebook application on that you can easily get gift and coins for FramVille and also chips for Zynga Poker following 3 easy step that are well explained in the application , a real life saver when you run out of chips and don't want to wait until tomorrow for play again!!
    The only thing you need to do is to follow the instruction explained in that application and after like 10 minutes you can get the money in your account game account
    I've also earned a lot of virtual money and gift inviting this application to my friend that play my same games They give 10000 credits for each friend invited!

If you like it, check the facebook app at apps facebook com/freegamescurrency/]apps facebook com/freegamescurrency and let me know if this helped you!
    Greetings
    Luc34TheGamer

P S Here you can found some screenshoot of this application

img97 imageshack us/i/fgc2 jpg/][IMG]img97 imageshack us/img97/5962/fgc2 th jpg[/IMG]
    The available games currency for cash out

img353 imageshack us/i/fgc3 jpg/][IMG]img353 imageshack us/img353/9495/fgc3 th jpg[/IMG]
    The Lottery Page where you can win more game money
    04-06-10 05:51 PM
    Storm2, 5.0. 320. No apps installed in last month. Installed apps, Quick pull, Blocked Traffic Free, Where's my Phone, Opera Mini, BT sidekick, Golf GPS, FancyTran.
    Tried as many of the suggestions as possible but the "uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointerexc" error is still there. I can access the internet using Mini Opera. The error occurs when I try to access SMS messages by selecting the SMS icom. There are 3 SMS messages there.

Any other suggestions.
    04-30-10 10:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD